Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair response. I just don't get the idea that his ending up at a Real Madrid or Barcelona-type club is a forgone conclusion.

I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to be the focal point of a team competing at the highest level.

Of course he would need to improve A LOT to be considered to play for Real, Barca etc, but he has the majority of the tools. Pace, power, finishing, interplay (which can be good if he's facing goal, is still alrite with his back to goal at times), he just needs to work on improving all these things and bringing them together.

It's up to him. If he CBA working on it it won't happen. If he gives it his all then one day he might well be playing in the champions league final for Barcelona.

can someone point out to me where saha or cahill scored more than 20 goals in all comps for us, please?

Also, cahill only scored more than him in a season once for us, and that was by one goal.

saha only scored 3 more goals than lukaku in one season with 13 (Seen as his best season) and managed to get 15 goals in all comps. Still not more goals than rom.

Saha scored 27 goals for us in four seasons, Lukaku has scored 25 in two seasons.

Sort it out.

This thread is a pretty disturbing read when people can describe Lukaku's season as poor last season.

I'm not trying to make out he was amazing or played as well as we'd have expected every game, but the fans who criticise him are far too short sighted. If they applied the same rules to every player then there wouldn't be a single good player in the world. They expect him to perform in every game, score goals in every game, show the same aggression in every game etc.

It's a very naive view to take.

First of all, I don't think anyone can doubt his goal scoring abilities. Surprisingly some have though and I think that's the first sign that their opinion is a bit odd. The service he got last season was bordering on abysmal. That's why he scored less than the season before. Is it that difficult to work out? lol

Next of all is this suggestion that we sign a striker for far less who "outperformed" him last season. Again, an absolutely clueless view to take as these people clearly fail to see that some players have the odd good season here or there but are no where near consistent enough to be banging them in year in year out (like Lukaku has proven). Examples of this are James Beattie and Andy Johnson. People on here would genuinely be hoping we got a Beattie or Johnson after one or two goal scoring seasons wouldn't they? Someone like Charlie Austin or Danny Ings. Let's see if they outscore him next season because I guarantee they won't. I doubt Harry Kane will either.There sell on value will then be about £8m at best.

Next is the criticism of his first touch etc and in some ways I agree with this. he needs to show more aggression at times and determination. It's not acceptable for him to sulk and not put the effort in at certain times. However this is massively exaggerated by the sheep that go to the games and abuse him.

Finally, the most important attribute of a goal scoring striker is goals. Unless you're Messi you're not going to play well in every game or nearly every game, but if you score that's usually enough. Ronaldo doesn't play well all the time, but his goals count. There are loads of players out there like that. Lukaku is in that bracket as is Costa and Aguero.

He'll go on to be one of the best strikers in Europe in a few seasons. i'm fairly confident of that.

The Belgium coach aimed his frustrations at the lack of movement from his strikers after Friday's narrow defeat to Wales in Euro 2016 qualifying

Belgium coach Marc Wilmots was left furious by the lack of movement from Christian Benteke and Romelu Lukaku during his side’s 1-0 defeat to Wales in Euro 2016 qualifying on Friday.
Gareth Bale capitalised on a misjudged header from Radja Nainggolan to slot home the only goal of the game in Cardiff and send Wales three points clear at the top of Group B.

However, rather than blame the Roma man for his costly error, Wilmots was more frustrated by his side's inability to get back in the game despite boasting an array of attacking talent.

"[Nainggolan] misjudged in this moment but he's a good player. It is all too easy now to blame him," the Belgium boss told Sporza.

"We are a bit disappointed. The first half was good, but we've given away a goal and that made Wales stronger.

"I changed my system afterwards, because Benteke was isolated. I then played with two strikers, but they need more crosses. We asked them to get to the front post, but they stand there like two poles. We still have work to do.

"We missed [Fellaini] in this game because this really was a match for him. He gets in the box.

"[Axel] Witsel tried [to get forward] but was a little bit too deep. That's why I talk about the profile of players in creating a system."

Belgium put in many good crosses, service, in the second half but Benteke and Lukaku never really busted a gut to get on the end of them. If the team is told to cross more for you to get on the end of, and you don't try, then you are not prepared to follow the managers instructions then your development will suffer. Or maybe Lukaku knows best. There are many aspects of his game that Lukaku needs to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back