Maarten Stekelenburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
M S can't be a reasonably good keeper. If he were, it would mean Koeman had made the right call and that wouldn't suit the agenda of one or two. Well, one really.

It would also mean that Martinez made a poor choice in getting Joel. And that wouldn't suit the agenda either.

Stek is an average keeper who has done ok so far, lets hope we get a NO1 keeper in early January. In fact lets hope all our transfers are done early.

He's a 6/10 goalkeeper performing at 7/10 so far. As people have mentioned, he appears to be rather weak in commanding his goalline, already having been bullied off the ball to concede a goal from a corner and also, at 2 metres+ in the air, challenged by a striker and causing him to parry the ball into his own goal. That isn't good enough.

We need a 8/10 keeper to perform 8/10 minimum every week, and only very rarely dropping below that level.

Knocked on his arse by Berahino and cost us versus WBA, got mugged on his line by Arnoutovic at home to Stoke, sat rooted to the ground as Benteke looped a ball over him from about 14 yards out. I could give a flying one about him letting Holland down, but that one tonight was laughable.

Sorry. He's ok. Decent at the basics, but not our number one and never will be.

*Tripped up by Berahino and should have been awarded a foul like any goalkeeper is in similar circumstances, saved us versus West Brom (chance for Rondon in the first half springs to mind), saved the Arnautovic one on to the bar, and was well beaten as any goalkeeper in the world would have been by a top class header from Benteke.

But other than that your post was spot on!

Reactions: JLW
He's a 6/10 goalkeeper performing at 7/10 so far. As people have mentioned, he appears to be rather weak in commanding his goalline, already having been bullied off the ball to concede a goal from a corner and also, at 2 metres+ in the air, challenged by a striker and causing him to parry the ball into his own goal. That isn't good enough.

We need a 8/10 keeper to perform 8/10 minimum every week, and only very rarely dropping below that level.
And the name of that 8/10 keeper is???

IMO he hasnt made a single error while in goal for us, you disagree, thats fine, I certainly wont be trying to change your mind, as ive said, if another keeper becomes available in January of a higher standard im sure we will move for them, until then, hes vastly superior to Robles, so its a null point.
If I'm being ultra critical he should have done better for the WBA goal. A lot on here believe it was a foul but I think he should have been stronger. Having said that he also made some excellent saves in that game that won us the points as he did against Spurs. Don't think he's been overly busy in the subsequent games as the defence has been so solid in front of him.

As I've said, he is an upgrade on what we had last year (so far) and that must be worth 10 points over a season. Getting a really top class GK in (such as De Gea) must be worth another 10 points. Problem is there aren't that many out there, would probably cost upward of £30/40m and even then we'd probably struggle to get them to come here at the moment.

I do believe that paying £30m on a top GK represents more value than the same amount spent on a CM, winger, defender or even back up striker. Would probably rather spend it on a playmaker however as we just don't have one at the moment and think it would generate more points than a GK upgrade.

Obviously if we lose Rom in the summer, or to long term injury, then a goal scorer becomes the main priority again.

Wouldn't argue with most of your post apart from the Middlesbrough goal. You can't blame him for a refereeing blunder. It was a clear foul that just about every sports commentator I've seen asked the question has acknowledged.

Wouldn't argue with most of your post apart from the Middlesbrough goal. You can't blame him for a refereeing blunder. It was a clear foul that just about every sports commentator I've seen asked the question has acknowledged.
It was a foul, you're right, but he should have been much stronger and taken the ball and the striker with him. How he didn't hold it when all the striker did was jump in the air, is beyond me. Same for WBA goal; you wouldn't know he's by far the tallest person on the pitch 9/10 of the time!

That "party into his net" was a blatant foul

It was a foul, you're right, but he should have been much stronger and taken the ball and the striker with him. How he didn't hold it when all the striker did was jump in the air, is beyond me. Same for WBA goal; you wouldn't know he's by far the tallest person on the pitch 9/10 of the time!
Totally agree on the WBA goal.

I think for the Negredo goal he had mistimed his jump and caught it in the way down so was bit off balance too. He could have done that bit better I suppose. But it was still a blatant foul. Negredo hardly just jumped. He actually head butted Steks hand which is why the ball flew out. Do you think he just threw it into the net for a laugh?

Surely Vorm can't be satisfied sitting on his arse at Tottenham.

He still looked quality when deputising for Lloris earlier in the season. I'd certainly be looking at him if I were Koeman/Walsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back