Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, in my mind a blockade is them banging on cars and "demanding" sounds fairly aggressive but I guess that's the media for you. I'll take back my initial eye-rolling. Apologies, I'll save it for the below instead:

They should’ve did what the Sporting Lisbon fans did to their training ground and trash the place. A few of them might’ve tried to cancel their contracts then.

Only spoke to Brands and if they were screaming and shouting, they wouldn't have been invited inside.

We haven't gone Sporting Lisbon here.
Literally this. People on here are kicking off like they were some sort of Columbian cartel ultras rocking up to wrap Sigurdsson in a carpet and drop him off the bridge despite everything pointing to the fact that they weren’t. Fair play to them and fair play to Brands for meeting with them.

Literally this. People on here are kicking off like they were some sort of Columbian cartel ultras rocking up to wrap Sigurdsson in a carpet and drop him off the bridge despite everything pointing to the fact that they weren’t. Fair play to them and fair play to Brands

I mean, that wouldn't have been bad either.

But yeah, people jumped to conclusions due to a few words being used. Think about it logically for two minutes and it ain't hard to figure out.

Marcel Brands faces angry Everton fans looking to confront players at training ground

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
January 8 2020, 12:00pm, The Times

Ancelotti, left, and director of football Brands who spoke to angry fans at Finch Farm

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:
What's this about a 'meeting' with some fans at FF? only just hearing about it. Interesting.

EDIT: Nevermind, got the gist. For what it's worth im glad that it happened really.

Marcel Brands faces angry Everton fans looking to confront players at training ground

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
January 8 2020, 12:00pm, The Times

Ancelotti, left, and director of football Brands who spoke to angry fans at Finch Farm

Ancelotti, left, and director of football Brands who spoke to angry fans at Finch Farm ANTHONY DEVLIN/PA

Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football, held face-to-face talks with a group of angry supporters who descended on the club’s training ground looking to confront players in the aftermath of the FA Cup defeat to Liverpool.

Seven fans turned up at Finch Farm on Monday morning as they sought to make their displeasure clear to Carlo Ancelotti’s squad following Sunday’s abject 1-0 reverse to a weakened Liverpool team.

They asked security to bring the players out and, when that request was refused, it was suggested that more fans could be mobilised to turn up at the training complex and stage a blockade, highlighting the toxic nature of the fall-out from the humiliating loss.

It was then that Brands, who was appointed director of football in the summer of 2018, appeared at the gates to the complex and spoke to supporters as he listened to a lengthy list of complaints.
Chief among the supporters’ grievances was the belief that Everton has become a destination for players to earn a big pay cheque without taking on the responsibility for improving the club’s fortunes.

Many of the expensive signings that have not worked out pre-date arrival of Brands and hark back to when Steve Walsh was Everton’s director of football.

Brands took on board the points, which were made in a meeting that lasted around 20-minutes, and said he would relay them to players and staff.

It comes with midfielder Fabian Delph having also been involved in a social media spat on Monday with a supporter who questioned his commitment in the defeat at Anfield.

In a lengthy exchange Delph, signed from Manchester City for £8.5 million in the summer in an attempt to add leadership into Everton’s team, insisted he had given “100 per cent” and rejected the criticism, claiming the players were more upset than the fans.
Indeed, it is understood that several of Everton’s players believe their commitment should not be called into question, despite accepting their collective performance was poor in the second-half at Anfield when a Liverpool side containing a number of teenagers extended their unbeaten home record against their rivals to 21-years.

Liverpool’s own outstanding form as Premier League leaders, and current European and World champions, makes life more difficult for Everton and it is against this backdrop that Ancelotti must now seek to orchestrate a transformation in fortune.

Ancelotti, who has lost his last two matches after winning his first games in charge, has held a meeting about the make-up of his squad with club officials having seen the true extent of the overhaul he must now instigate.

Everton are set to announce record losses — their general meeting is held next Tuesday — and are mindful of the need to comply with Premier League Profit and Sustainability rules. The guidelines allow losses of £105 million over a three-year period.
Brands took them to an office.
He sat and listened.
This wouldn't have happened if it was aggressive.
But I guess that's not sensational enough for some.

I mean, that wouldn't have been bad either.

But yeah, people jumped to conclusions due to a few words being used. Think about it logically for two minutes and it ain't hard to figure out.
To be honest, I'm just going off what it says in the article. If that's not true then fair enough, but it's the only source available so what else can I go off?

The article says they were angry and looking to confront players. It says when this was refused they basically threatened to cause a proper security issue by 'mobilising' people to blockade the training ground. Personally I don't think that's particularly pleasant behaviour, but more to the point I just thought it was a bit embarrassing.

The 'blockade' has been over exaggerated btw.
They went down peacefully to see the players and waited patiently.
If they had been intimidating they wouldn't have got in would they.

It was Brands who chose to come and speak to the lads and did so in a meeting in an office.

The issue raised was the players attitude and it was ONLY about the players.

Brands came across well.

Whats this info based off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back