Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a fan of the DOF model so I’m no doubt biased but for me we are still team around 8-10 and we have a bloated squad of average players, he hasn’t been able to get rid of players which he was supposed to do. For me he’s not been particularly successful.

I think his job will a lot more difficult now as there will be a lot less money floating around and we still have far too many players we don’t need, hopefully he can now show why people rate him.

I’m not a fan of the DOF model so I’m no doubt biased but for me we are still team around 8-10 and we have a bloated squad of average players, he hasn’t been able to get rid of players which he was supposed to do. For me he’s not been particularly successful.

I think his job will a lot more difficult now as there will be a lot less money floating around and we still have far too many players we don’t need, hopefully he can now show why people rate him.

Id imagine the DOF role is also incorporating parts of the game that have probably absolutely ballooned over the last two decades or so. Scouting for example was probably a few of the managers mates at matches round the country ringing up the manager ‘got a player here Davey’ they’d go and have a look together and then a deal was done or not. The academy was probably a few coaches giving kids a game and training and occasionally going ‘hey Davey there’s a good young lad called Rooney coming through take a look’. In short a manager like Moyes could pretty much do everything on the football side of the club. He’d ask for money for a player and Kenwright told him yes or no, that was it.

Now scouting is a global affair with an intense market place over players who are multi million pound assets even from the age of about 15. Do you think Carlo has time to be managing all of that? An entire network of scouts, prospect profiles, game footage etc.

Then there’s the academy. Each player now needs individual management, loan deals arranging, pathways, exit plans etc. Has Carlo got time to coordinate all of this?

Conteact negotiations with players, their agents, their sponsors, new signings, etc. Has Carlo got time to be doing all of this?

Managers now have to focus on managing the first team squad, coaching the players, and weighing in on transfers (what type of player, help create t e short list etc.). Not to mention huge amounts of media duties. Everything else has to be covered by someone and the coordinator of that entire network of football operations is Brands.

So I just don’t understand it when people say we don’t need Brands. Every single club has a person for this role now. It might not be a DOF, could be technical director, head of footballing operations. Whatever it is everyone has got one. So why do people want to take us back to a dinosaur era where the manager basically did everything. Moyes just about got away with it because he was right at the end of the era before technology really took over. But now there’s no way a manager like Ancelotti at 60 years old could do all of this, no way.

just read the last few pages and to summarise: no one knows if he signs the players or the manager does. Slight hints that he is involved in more than just signing players, but with no substance of what that actually is....

What a disaster of a summer window he has had.

Carthorses (Iwobi) (Lossl)

Bad eggs (Delph) (Kean)

Crock (Gbamin)

Literally not one positive.

Needs a good window this summer or I would boot him.

The business was spectacularly bad.
Brands did very well in his 1st season, so he has leeway. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, culminating in a killer virus. Hopefully, this season is voided, and it was all just one big nightmare mess.

I hope with Ancelotti now here, the player recruitment is enhanced and things will get better all round. Clean slate for all.

giphy.gif

Did any of you see the times piece the other week about Liverpool's scouting/analytics team.

It stressed how they only sign people who perform during certain `in game' situations.
Ie. When you are playing against good opposition, especially away from home and especially when the score is 0-0, or you are a goal or 2 behind.

The piece showed how Arsenal where ridiculously flattered to appear to be the `best team' in the league by certain stats the year Conte's Chelsea won it.

They showed how Ozil could look outstanding on certain figures but when you analysed his performance when Arsenal were 0-0 or behind by a goal or 2 he was dismal.

The Liverpool perfomace fella laughed at the prospect of them ever being interested in a player like him.

Meanwhile we buy players like Gomes, Bernard, Walcott, Iwobi, iKeane, Kean etc etc. Players that have never stepped up before they came to Goodison oir since
when the pressure is on at 0-0 or you are behind, especially away from home.

Did any of you see the times piece the other week about Liverpool's scouting/analytics team.

It stressed how they only sign people who perform during certain `in game' situations.
Ie. When you are playing against good opposition, especially away from home and especially when the score is 0-0, or you are a goal or 2 behind.

The piece showed how Arsenal where ridiculously flattered to appear to be the `best team' in the league by certain stats the year Conte's Chelsea won it.

They showed how Ozil could look outstanding on certain figures but when you analysed his performance when Arsenal were 0-0 or behind by a goal or 2 he was dismal.

The Liverpool perfomace fella laughed at the prospect of them ever being interested in a player like him.

Meanwhile we buy players like Gomes, Bernard, Walcott, Iwobi, iKeane, Kean etc etc. Players that have never stepped up before they came to Goodison oir since
Do you prefer Liverpool to Everton?

Why are you still going with this pretense?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back