Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it quite mad that people don’t think Carlo isn’t the common denominator with Allan & Jamo here to be honest, how much compelling evidence do you need.

If we get Doucoure all credit to Brands, he’s been after him for a while.

Hopefully evidence both are working together, once Everton get better thats fine, we can speculate and all have different opinions on the dynamic.

Id speculate Carlo, wields a significant influence personally.
IMO Ancelotti has seen the past two years worth of signings by Brands and been far from impressed. He's taken the reigns on the major signings for key areas. It's his reputation on the line and I dont blame him for dominating the summer transfer plans.

Brands is done. He'd have been tied down for a few more years by now if he'd done a reasonable job.

We have a tendency to go from one extrene to another. I think Brands is good. Are there better DOF's out there? Yes. Are there worse, undoubtedly (and we had one).

A lot of the best DOF's would be making the situation with Ancelotti very difficult too. Maybe thats what Brands should be doing, but I think for where we are as a club, with the board we have, the fact he can probably put his ego to one side and get on board with what Carlo wants for this summer (at least) I see as an overall positive.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a younger, less well known CM to come in next to Allan- rather than Doucoure, but if it can allow us to build a platform, for him to then start adding more experimental and younger players from 2021 summer window that's a positive to me.

As you say, no academy ban, so opportunity to be more aggressive in that area, and I hope and suspect we will see moreNkondou/Brainthwaite signings moving forward. I know we are in a tough spot currently wth FFP, and we will probably have to accept a slap on the wrist and a likely initial punishment (fine, probably restriction of squad if we qualify) but after that, if we can keep adding and playing younger -players quite quickly we will start showing a profit.

He has avoided adding in January too, and that has really allowed for the emergence of Brainthwaite, Gordon and Calvert Lewin at the back end of seasons.

Good post mate, I agree with most of it.

Im very open minded on Brands, I just wouldn’t be one unlimited loyalty in someone, nor unjustified criticism, while the argument in this thread is often polarised, I like to critically analyse both a good and performance.

I believe there is much good, the age profile of team has come down, that doesn’t get a lot of fanfare but it’s really important to the business model, I also believe while we would have liked to have shifted more, I think he has brought the wage bill down by chipping away, I believe it’s down on 160 mill from 18/19. We know the good players he’s brought in Digne in particular. While some players he has signed are surplus, but it’s arguable that as a squad we are outgrowing these player or we’re just bad recruitment. Branthwaite was brilliant business, I’m hopeful that might be the over hall of scouting and football dept beginning to take effect.

To be very fair to him, I think the club has lacked stability and continuity for a while. On and off the pitch. He’s been tasked with getting rid of players and the dressing room has been like a revolving door, that impacts on the pitch but necessary for the business, so he’s operating in competing needs, that’s difficult. Silva not working out I think has been significantly undermining, more inconsistency, another new plan. The academy ban has been massively unhelpful and done him no favours and I will be keeping an eye when it’s lifted in Oct.

If I’m critiquing him, I’d prefer him to have a lower media profile, no documenteries, photo ops etc. Some of his recruitment I’d credit him with has been mediocre and poor return on investment, I think it’s a horrible waste of resources that we signed Delph and Iwobi for 50 mill and 200k in wages and now this summer need to reinvest in central midfield and attacking midfield again, that is really poor and a horrible waste of resources. I have a few other examples. I could go on with other nuances but you get my drift.

Ultimately, I’m one who believes that if you give some one a contract and have a plan let them see it through, be it a manager or DOF, so I’ll support that, but it’s good in my opinion not to get polarised into a particular camp, I think it’s important to critique but also praise we’re warranted.

I agree on Carlo and his draw, I would be critiquing Brands if he wasn’t capitalising on it, it’s good for Everton, both should work in partnership with the remit of improving 5he clubs welfare.

Who do you think negotiates them?

I see that as Brands, we have taken a very different approach since he came in, and in general we buy well on price.

I don’t myself mate, it’s impossible and the remit is to wide, especially in a condensed period like the transfer window. Just at the moment we are trying to do deals in Italy, Spain and England.

I think we use trusted agents to negotiate and lawyers in the advanced stages. We pay a lot of money to agents employed to represent the club.

I see Brands as the man outside the room, or the end of the phone, who sets the limits, budgets, red lines and decides whether to up or walk away in negotiations, essentially green or red lighting.

Last edited:
I dnt think so. If you're James, are you persuaded come to Everton because Brands wants you?
Dave - you do amuse me mate.
As others have alluded to , it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Surely we all want them to work in partnership , for the best interests of the club.

IMO Ancelotti has seen the past two years worth of signings by Brands and been far from impressed. He's taken the reigns on the major signings for key areas. It's his reputation on the line and I dont blame him for dominating the summer transfer plans.

Brands is done. He'd have been tied down for a few more years by now if he'd done a reasonable job.

Yes. It seems obvious that we simply don't have the luxury of throwing two or three relative unknowns into the team, the risk of failure off the back of last season is too great. Immediate remedial action is required and Ancelotti has taken the lead in trying to get players in that he is confident in doing a job and making a quick impact.

That should be Brands job in good times, lining up players for the manager to consider. It's all gone out of the window in the immediacy of this window, due to the crisis we are in.

Ultimately Brands was brought in as someone of supposed standing in this specific role, to replace Walsh, who was appointed so over his head it was embarrassing. To have to say after two seasons following that, not only have we failed to progress, but gone backwards, is the most damning indictment on Brands. There is no way to sugar-coat that grim reality. A culmination of two years "work" to produce a midfield that collectively went awol in battle, and produced a frankly unbelievable level of ineptitude, individually, and collectively.

It has been that bad, with not a smither of a sign of improvement. That's the unfolding horror that Ancelotti has witnessed for himself and seen the mess we are in. It's absurd to think that Brands' opinion is going to be on an equal footing to Ancelotti's when it comes to transfers this window, as we are now seeing.

Dave - you do amuse me mate.
As others have alluded to , it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Surely we all want them to work in partnership , for the best interests of the club.
I want a man who wasted £200M of the club's money out.

Brands, apart from the signing of Digne, has been appalling...just short of Koeman levels of appalling, but nevertheless appalling.

well yes and the whole club mate
Brands was meant to be the man who brought a new model to the club. Creatre a new playing style and laying down the foundations for years to come.

Two years later we're worse off than when he began. He's used up a lot of time and money to prove he cant hack a job in the PL. He'll be binned. No question of that for me.

Brands was meant to be the man who brought a new model to the club. Creatre a new playing style and laying down the foundations for years to come.

Two years later we're worse off than when he began. He's used up a lot of time and money to prove he cant hack a job in the PL. He'll be binned. No question of that for me.

Brings in Carlo Ancelotti to replace a Portuguese fraud; gives us the best Brazilian in the league and it is about to hand us James Rodriguez and Allan

FOUR

MORE

YEARS

Yes. It seems obvious that we simply don't have the luxury of throwing two or three relative unknowns into the team, the risk of failure off the back of last season is too great. Immediate remedial action is required and Ancelotti has taken the lead in trying to get players in that he is confident in doing a job and making a quick impact.

That should be Brands job in good times, lining up players for the manager to consider. It's all gone out of the window in the immediacy of this window, due to the crisis we are in.

Ultimately Brands was brought in as someone of supposed standing in this specific role, to replace Walsh, who was appointed so over his head it was embarrassing. To have to say after two seasons following that, not only have we failed to progress, but gone backwards, is the most damning indictment on Brands. There is no way to sugar-coat that grim reality. A culmination of two years "work" to produce a midfield that collectively went awol in battle, and produced a frankly unbelievable level of ineptitude, individually, and collectively.

It has been that bad, with not a smither of a sign of improvement. That's the unfolding horror that Ancelotti has witnessed for himself and seen the mess we are in. It's absurd to think that Brands' opinion is going to be on an equal footing to Ancelotti's when it comes to transfers this window, as we are now seeing.
People can talk Walsh down all they want (and Ilm not going to try too hard to defend his time here). However, he's made a bigger mark on football than Brands ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back