2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed for me. Glad we stayed away from ins.

But I think we failed massively on outs, how may players could have at least been loaned out that are utterly useless and can’t make the first team squad on a match day.

Problem is mate you can't physically force the likes of Schneiderlin, who is comfortably sucking a wage for no output, out on a loan. He has just had a child with the wife I believe and would be looking for a move somewhere that suits the family.

Not one permanent out of meaning or significance.

Poor and disappointing on outs.

Rinse and repeat in the summer, with so many of these players more then likely returning to the club.
Yep. Summer needs to be big or Brands has failed.

I'm disappointed that we couldn't get anybody in, even if it was just some jarg striker on loan, but I think any moves this window were always dependent on whether we could sell at least 1 player (Tosun and Schneiderlin being the main targets to shift). Brands definitely has his work cut out, we have 15+ players returning to us in the summer, the vast majority have no future here whatsoever. I think we'll be forced to take some proper hits on some of our players this summer, like selling Bolasie for £5m kind of hits.

Balancing our books, unfortunately, will probably take about 3 seasons to do. With the stadium hopefully on the horizon as well, we may have seen the last of drunk shopkeeper Everton for a while and return to the thrifty nan Everton of the Moyes-Kenwright dynasty.

Problem is mate you can't physically force the likes of Schneiderlin, who is comfortably sucking a wage for no output, out on a loan. He has just had a child with the wife I believe and would be looking for a move somewhere that suits the family.

Not one permanent out of meaning or significance.

Poor and disappointing on outs.

Yep. Summer needs to be big or Brands has failed.

I can understand some, Schnderlin is in the sweet spot for a transfer next Jan.

We really should be doing deals for lads in the sweet spot of their contracts, I.e. a couple of years to go, Niasse, Besic and a few others.

I agree their is context with contracts, where you can crystalise a loss unless it’s the right deal, but some it’s irrelevent as there is a year or two left on their deals.

I can understand some, Schnderlin is in the sweet spot for a transfer next Jan.

We really should be doing deals for lads in the sweet spot of their contracts, I.e. a couple of years to go, Niasse, Besic and a few others.

I agree their is context with contracts, where you can crystalise a loss unless it’s the right deal, but some it’s irrelevent as there is a year or two left on their deals.
Indeed. I'm expecting at least 10 outs in the Summer, hopefully raising between £ 50-100m. Am I dreaming?

As a direct result of three failed managerial appointments we have accumulated far too many players with a ridiculously bloated wage bill as a reward. A very poor DoF appointment in Walsh has compounded this problem, unwanted players on far too lucrative contracts.
We also seem to have exhibited very poor judgement on U23 players , bestowing large contacts to numerous players who weren’t good enough for the first team, we need to be more ruthless at this level.
This will take time to fix, you can’t just sell these players off cheap, each one represents an asset in which the club has invested good money. Brands must therefore attempt to recoup as much of that investment as he possibly can to improve our long term prospects.
In the interim he can only attempt to reduce the burdensome wage bill via loans.
All things considered I think he is currently doing a good job.

As a direct result of three failed managerial appointments we have accumulated far too many players with a ridiculously bloated wage bill as a reward. A very poor DoF appointment in Walsh has compounded this problem, unwanted players on far too lucrative contracts.
We also seem to have exhibited very poor judgement on U23 players , bestowing large contacts to numerous players who weren’t good enough for the first team, we need to be more ruthless at this level.
This will take time to fix, you can’t just sell these players off cheap, each one represents an asset in which the club has invested good money. Brands must therefore attempt to recoup as much of that investment as he possibly can to improve our long term prospects.
In the interim he can only attempt to reduce the burdensome wage bill via loans.
All things considered I think he is currently doing a good job.
Yes. The Summer is pivotal for him and our squad. He needs to raise a fair bit to boost our transfer funds, and spend as wisely as last Summer.

Indeed. I'm expecting at least 10 outs in the Summer, hopefully raising between £ 50-100m. Am I dreaming?

I think so mate with all due respect, I’d be a bit more conservative on permanent ones out certainly, 5 I think we would be doing well.

It’s the context of the outs that’s important, we should look at not crystalising loss like on Klassen (we are still paying for him). So the incoming fee and wage saved has to match the liability we have for signing the player. This gets easier the longer they are here and contracts winds down, but so does their value.

I think so mate with all due respect, I’d be a bit more conservative on permanent ones out certainly, 5 I think we would be doing well.

It’s the context of the outs that’s important, we should look at not crystalising loss like on Klassen (we are still paying for him). So the incoming fee and wage saved has to match the liability we have for signing the player. This gets easier the longer they are here and contracts winds down, but so does their value.
You don't think, given Marcel does his job well, we can raise at least £50-100m from the list below?

Player_________Estimated Sal___Contract expiry
Mirallas_______£39,000_________Jun-19
Baines_________£65,000_________Jun-19
Williams_______£60,000_________Jun-19
Jagielka_______£50,000_________Jun-19
McCarthy_______£50,000_________Jun-20
Niasse_________£50,000_________Jun-20
Martina _______£35,000_________Jun-20
Galloway_______£22,500_________Jun-20
Garbutt________£27,500_________Jun-20
Bolasie________£75,000_________Jun-21
Ramirez________£80,000_________Jun-21
Schneiderlin__£100,000_________Jun-21
Besis__________£30,000_________Jun-21
Vlasic_________£30,000_________Jun-22
Tosun__________£60,000_________Jun-22

Year___P/W________Saving vs previous y'r
2019___£774,000
2020___£560,000___£214,000
2021___£375,000___£185,000
2022____£90,000___£285,000

I'm disappointed that we couldn't get anybody in, even if it was just some jarg striker on loan, but I think any moves this window were always dependent on whether we could sell at least 1 player (Tosun and Schneiderlin being the main targets to shift). Brands definitely has his work cut out, we have 15+ players returning to us in the summer, the vast majority have no future here whatsoever. I think we'll be forced to take some proper hits on some of our players this summer, like selling Boloasie for £5m kind of hits.

Balancing our books, unfortunately, will probably take about 3 seasons to do. With the stadium hopefully on the horizon as well, we may have seen the last of drunk shopkeeper Everton for a while and return to the thrifty nan Everton of the Moyes-Kenwright dynasty.
It's January ffs, it all went par for the course, no real big business done by anybody
If we average that £5m price for a dozen or more of the deadwood, Brands should be hailed as a miracle worker.
If he gets rid of a dozen or more for nothing in the next 12 months, aka, wages off the books, he'll have done his job

I can live with it, water of a ducks back, been called worse by better. etc.

Biffo Brands, has a certain aliterative charm.
All we have to do is get an derogatory aliteration for Silva and when the fume starts and the calling begins it can be done in a proper dismissive and disrespectful manner,.
Like BPB - Boys Pen Bill for Kenwright

So, over to you readers, (and @davek) have at it, give us a dismissive aliteration for Silva
As in...
Biffo (Brands) & 'your insulting nickname here' (Silva), couldn't sign a decent player to save their lives.

It's January ffs, it all went par for the course, no real big business done by anybody
If we average that £5m price for a dozen or more of the deadwood, Brands should be hailed as a miracle worker.
If he gets rid of a dozen or more for nothing in the next 12 months, aka, wages off the books, he'll have done his job

No doubt that his aim is to clear wages, but it's also his job to check the balance sheet as well. The example I used, selling Bolasie at 'miracle' fee of £5m as you say means that we'll take about a £22m loss on this transfer alone. Obviously not Brand's fault (my post was not a critique of him in anyway, I don't know why you think it was) as he didn't sign any of the turbo crap players sucking mass fortunes out of our club. Coupled with the huge hit we already took on Klaasen, along with other big losses we're likely to see for the likes of Tosun, Walcott, Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin in the next 6-12 months, it does add up.

As I say, I am not criticising Brands for not being able to flog these wasters, but at the same time he does need to raise capital from sales and the longer these players stay either doing nothing in our ressies or going on unproductive loans, the less we're going to see.

Either way he has an unbelievably tough job on his hands.

No doubt that his aim is to clear wages, but it's also his job to check the balance sheet as well. The example I used, selling Bolasie at 'miracle' fee of £5m as you say means that we'll take about a £22m loss on this transfer alone. Obviously not Brand's fault (my post was not a critique of him in anyway, I don't know why you think it was) as he didn't sign any of the turbo crap players sucking mass fortunes out of our club. Coupled with the huge hit we already took on Klaasen, along with other big losses we're likely to see for the likes of Tosun, Walcott, Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin in the next 6-12 months, it does add up.

As I say, I am not criticising Brands for not being able to flog these wasters, but at the same time he does need to raise capital from sales and the longer these players stay either doing nothing in our ressies or going on unproductive loans, the less we're going to see.

Either way he has an unbelievably tough job on his hands.
True, he does have a tough job...never said he didnt or that you were critical...hence the miracle worker tag.
We should know in 12 to 18mts if he can actually do this tough job*
*Silva may or may not be here then but I don't see that as a tick in the Brands failure column.
Its the deadwood moved on in a speedy manner and the next managerial appointment he will be judged on.
Edit. Moshiri seems to have gone...not before time, from the instant quick Koeman Walsh fix to a more measured 'longish game'...plus he got no more spare cash to throw at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back