2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all well and good Zat.

However, it should not be Moshiri saying it, as frankly he has about as much footballing knowledge as a plant.

Brands - we are told - is in charge of and responsible for ALL footballing matters at the club. Ultimate that is also the manager.

He should be the one saying this. He should be the 'face' of Everton.

We just do it all wrong.
Seems common sense is going to prevail and Silva is here for the foreseeable.

Well in Moshiri.

Now let's concentrate on giving Silva and Brands some patience as they try and resurrect this club over the next season or 2.
Aye mate, but - and I'm not usually like this but think it's crucial in this instance - Brands should be the one saying this.

Moshiri has obviously just told Jim White that were sticking with Silva...Jim White has leaked it.

Its hardly groundbreaking news...

Not sure why Brands coming out to say were keeping our manager is even effective in the slightest?

Hes already said its a long term process...

Does he need to say the same every few months to appease the short termists ?

I'm not sure why?

see my response to Mill's post mate.

Like I said, I'm normally not bothered, but we've got one of the best DoFs (track record wise) in Europe now and I just think the more we see of him, the better.

Everything Moshiri says tends to be written off within weeks because he does the exact opposite. It doesn't get taken seriously.

Brands has an air of control and he knows the game. He should be the one giving this message. I truly believe that.

Moshiri has obviously just told Jim White that were sticking with Silva...Jim White has leaked it.

Its hardly groundbreaking news...

Not sure why Brands coming out to say were keeping our manager is even effective in the slightest?

Hes already said its a long term process...

Does he need to say the same every few months to appease the short termists ?

It'd probably help tbf.

I get it was just a Jim White thing stalking Mosh on his way back from America. I do.

I'd just like to see this done in an interview with Brands in the nationals - it's not hard.

King, Joyce, Bascombe and Hunter would all get the message out there just fine. And lob the Echo a bone as well for more detail if needed.

It'd probably help tbf.

I get it was just a Jim White thing stalking Mosh on his way back from America. I do.

I'd just like to see this done in an interview with Brands in the nationals - it's not hard.

King, Joyce, Bascombe and Hunter would all get the message out there just fine. And lob the Echo a bone as well for more detail if needed.

I think theres 2 elements here:

A -- Moshiri making a short sentence comment to Jim White to simply say that Marco is here long term.

Its not a big deal, were sticking with him long term etc etc

B -- Brands doing an interview to say were keeping the manager and explaining why and then being asked more and more questions and then defending the manager and explaining its a long term process...again.

Id prefer A.

I think Brands will pop up again at the end of the season when things are really moving in/out on the player front and then explain more about it being a process etc

The team is badly lacking leadership on the pitch.

Silva is a nonentity when it comes to motivating the players from the touchline. Silva and Brands were probably clear that they would not be starting Baines and Jagielka hence the signings of Digne and Mina.

So why didn't we sign a player who can be a leader on the pitch?

The players he signed were good but I think this is the first big question mark I have over him as this is a glaring weakness that hasn't been addressed in his two windows and should have been an apparent problem as soon as they watched the first preseason games.

Kind of similar to being a pundit as being opposed to being a manager.

Easier to direct and provide feedback than actually be in the position.
They tend to avoid the direct blame too, especially in the media, even if a player they gave the go ahead on comes in and does badly it can be blamed on the manager.

Unless you're Steve Walsh and your transfer policy is buying overpriced players that are over 27 and giving them the biggest contract they're ever going to get.

Silva is a nonentity when it comes to motivating the players from the touchline. Silva and Brands were probably clear that they would not be starting Baines and Jagielka hence the signings of Digne and Mina.

The players he signed were good but I think this is the first big question mark I have over him as this is a glaring weakness that hasn't been addressed in his two windows and should have been an apparent problem as soon as they watched the first preseason games.

Tbf though hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Everybody at the start of the season expected Coleman to be that man. Just because he hasn't worked out doesn't make it a glaring error by Brands.

Also, I'll add that it's a very specific type of player that you're referring to.

The best 'leaders' imo, are the world class players. The elites.

After that you kind of have to punt for a mouthy tit.

Tbf though hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Everybody at the start of the season expected Coleman to be that man. Just because he hasn't worked out doesn't make it a glaring error by Brands.

Also, I'll add that it's a very specific type of player that you're referring to.

The best 'leaders' imo, are the world class players. The elites.

After that you kind of have to punt for a mouthy tit.
I think we need a Sergio Ramos/Roy Keane type of player somewhere in the team. In certain games they will certainly cost us but in others we would soon see the rewards imo

I totally agree with the basis of your point, but it's a tough one to solve isn't it. If we'd signed Conor Coady (just as an example) instead of Mina people wouldn't have been happy. He appears to be a good captain for Wolves, and has captained youth teams etc throughout his career, but would he have been a good enough player to justify signing for his captaincy skills? And would those skills have been transferrable to us, bearing in mind that everyone who's ever managed Phil Jagielka thinks he's captaincy material but many of our fans would swear that he's not?

I've said before, much of what people call 'leadership' in football is actually just quality. John Terry is, by all accounts, not a particularly nice bloke and therefore not hugely respected as a person, but his undoubted quality as a player maybe inspired his teammates. Everyone was convinced that Coleman was the answer for us but now say he's not. Is that because he's not got the leadership skills or just because his quality level has dropped? To me the solution you're talking about - and again, I agree with you - is signing a real top quality player who becomes our talisman and captain. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.

Negotiating a get out clause for bolasie to come back while villa were paying all of his wages and then loan him out while paying part of his wages.

Brilliant deal

I totally agree with the basis of your point, but it's a tough one to solve isn't it. If we'd signed Conor Coady (just as an example) instead of Mina people wouldn't have been happy. He appears to be a good captain for Wolves, and has captained youth teams etc throughout his career, but would he have been a good enough player to justify signing for his captaincy skills? And would those skills have been transferrable to us, bearing in mind that everyone who's ever managed Phil Jagielka thinks he's captaincy material but many of our fans would swear that he's not?

I've said before, much of what people call 'leadership' in football is actually just quality. John Terry is, by all accounts, not a particularly nice bloke and therefore not hugely respected as a person, but his undoubted quality as a player maybe inspired his teammates. Everyone was convinced that Coleman was the answer for us but now say he's not. Is that because he's not got the leadership skills or just because his quality level has dropped? To me the solution you're talking about - and again, I agree with you - is signing a real top quality player who becomes our talisman and captain. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.

Only one team in the league has a proper leader and they are top. Finding these players is infinitely easier said than done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back