2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one team in the league has a proper leader and they are top. Finding these players is infinitely easier said than done...

I cant be the only one, but who is it?

edit. Doh. VVD? Dont watch them so no idea what he does as leader, a'la Roy Keane etc.

see my response to Mill's post mate.

Like I said, I'm normally not bothered, but we've got one of the best DoFs (track record wise) in Europe now and I just think the more we see of him, the better.

Everything Moshiri says tends to be written off within weeks because he does the exact opposite. It doesn't get taken seriously.

Brands has an air of control and he knows the game. He should be the one giving this message. I truly believe that.
Normally I would take some comfort at your sentiments.
But insert Koeman for Brands and I felt the same when cheese head was taking up post
Can't help this negative atmosphere I'm afraid to say.

Brands is going to be busy this summer. Still lots of dead wood to ship out and we desperately need a focal point to the attack (cf), a right back, someone to play alongside Gomes and a right winger as a minimum.

I totally agree with the basis of your point, but it's a tough one to solve isn't it. If we'd signed Conor Coady (just as an example) instead of Mina people wouldn't have been happy. He appears to be a good captain for Wolves, and has captained youth teams etc throughout his career, but would he have been a good enough player to justify signing for his captaincy skills? And would those skills have been transferrable to us, bearing in mind that everyone who's ever managed Phil Jagielka thinks he's captaincy material but many of our fans would swear that he's not?

I've said before, much of what people call 'leadership' in football is actually just quality. John Terry is, by all accounts, not a particularly nice bloke and therefore not hugely respected as a person, but his undoubted quality as a player maybe inspired his teammates. Everyone was convinced that Coleman was the answer for us but now say he's not. Is that because he's not got the leadership skills or just because his quality level has dropped? To me the solution you're talking about - and again, I agree with you - is signing a real top quality player who becomes our talisman and captain. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.

I disagree with your point about it mainly being down to the quality of the player and think you have done Terry a disservice as a leader. He was always vocal and giving instructions out on the pitch and that's what we are missing now.

You don't have to be the best player to be the best leader, though it does certainly help players command respect.

I hear what you're saying about Coady vs Mina but I'm not saying they should have signed a player solely on the basis of their leadership qualities (See Rooney as evidence for why leadership alone isn't enough) rather that it doesn't appear to have been considered as a necessity from Brands and the recruitment staff but what we are seeing now is that there is a serious deficiency in leadership and a willingness from the players to marshall and motivate each other.

After Silva sends them out there I don't see anyone taking the initiative to correct positioning issues. Jagielka, though he has his detractors as a captain, did that bit at least.

Regardless of Coleman's quality dropping off he doesn't seem to be doing that job and neither does anyone else and I'm sure this would have been apparent to them in preseason.

I disagree with your point about it mainly being down to the quality of the player and think you have done Terry a disservice as a leader. He was always vocal and giving instructions out on the pitch and that's what we are missing now.

You don't have to be the best player to be the best leader, though it does certainly help players command respect.

I hear what you're saying about Coady vs Mina but I'm not saying they should have signed a player solely on the basis of their leadership qualities (See Rooney as evidence for why leadership alone isn't enough) rather that it doesn't appear to have been considered as a necessity from Brands and the recruitment staff but what we are seeing now is that there is a serious deficiency in leadership and a willingness from the players to marshall and motivate each other.

After Silva sends them out there I don't see anyone taking the initiative to correct positioning issues. Jagielka, though he has his detractors as a captain, did that bit at least.

Regardless of Coleman's quality dropping off he doesn't seem to be doing that job and neither does anyone else and I'm sure this would have been apparent to them in preseason.
Sorry I don’t think I made that very clear.

I understand that terry was a good organiser, what I meant was that being able to understand what people need to do and being willing to say it is one thing. Making sure that they actually listen and follow your instructions is quite another. If you think of the people generally accepted as being good captains in the modern game, they’re all at least as good as anyone else in the team. Keane, Viera, Gerrard, Terry, Adams etc. They instantly get respect through their quality. Somebody said in the Coleman thread earlier that if he started bawling you out you’d just turn round and say ‘what about you, you’ve been crap all season’ and it’s a valid point, it would definitely happen.

What I was getting at is that signing someone to come into the side with the general quality we’re looking for and great leadership qualities probably isn’t all that easy. I think we’ve got a fair few players who’ve captained other sides and countries so we’re not short of theoretical leaders, but there’s a reason the captain marvel types tend to play for the best sides.

I’m sure the language barrier is part of it, but Little Marco seems way too sheepish and non-confrontational to be a leader of men.

Please hire a man this summer Marcel

Brands is going to be busy this summer. Still lots of dead wood to ship out and we desperately need a focal point to the attack (cf), a right back, someone to play alongside Gomes and a right winger as a minimum.

It’s going to be an expensive summer either way, the payoffs we will hand out to the players we try and let go, who no one really wants. Everyone knows we are desperate to get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back