Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brands is to come in I believe we will need to give him 2-3 seasons before we start seeing the real benefits of his appointment. Can we as a fanbase be patient enough?

It all depends.

If those two or three seasons show a year by year improvement and there is a clear vision of a new, vibrant Marcel era Everton taking shape then of course we will be patient.

If however the King’s new clothes are the same as the clothes he has been wearing for the past two or three years then no, the fans will not be patient ;)

How is a director of football or a Walsh/Bands judged i think is important is it something that can be judged on a short term basis or is it fair to judge it on a three year cycle.

For arguments sake say Vlasic, Lookman, Gibson Bowler go on to be top rated international or champions league players in the next five years or Sandro scores 20 next season or Klassen becomes a top Champions League players in the years ahead, would that make Steve walsh a top director of football or recruiter.

How should the likes of Brands and Walsh be judge d and over what period can a fair assessment be made? What are the key [performance indicators?

How is a director of football or a Walsh/Bands judged i think is important is it something that can be judged on a short term basis or is it fair to judge it on a three year cycle.

For arguments sake say Vlasic, Lookman, Gibson Bowler go on to be top rated international or champions league players in the next five years or Sandro scores 20 next season or Klassen becomes a top Champions League players in the years ahead, would that make Steve walsh a top director of football or recruiter.

How should the likes of Brands and Walsh be judge d and over what period can a fair assessment be made? What are the key [performance indicators?
I think you can absolutely judge how Walsh has done right now. The idea of a DoF is to have a vision for the entire playing side. Look at the purchases he has made. There is no rhyme/reason for a lot of them. Bolasie/Sigurdsson/Klassen are completely different styles entirely. None of the purchases you can say "oh, that goes with the idea that the club wants to play like {X}". You look at the RS, they got Salah, Mane, Firmino, VvD and Keita and you can see exactly what they are looking for in a player.

Us? "Oh, he's PREMIER LEAGUE READY!" with no thought as to how they would fit in a team.

May have already been mentioned but Brands said we were in contact with him in 2016, which makes me think Steve Walsh will revert to a similar role as he had at Leicester (head scout). I think he's just been a stand in DoF until Moshiri could land Marcel Brands. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If we see a plan with a style of play we like, then yes.
I think this is the most important thing
If we see a manager who signs players to play a certain way and we see the formation and substitutions sticking to that plan then I believe the new manager / DOF will be given time.
If we see a plan and an endgame and progression towards that endgame then they will be given the fans backing.

The first positive news heard for a long time. Who knows how deep the changes will be, starting with the manager. Sorry Sam, your wife will be delighted with your payoff.

If Brands is to come in I believe we will need to give him 2-3 seasons before we start seeing the real benefits of his appointment. Can we as a fanbase be patient enough?

I think whoever comes in needs to be shown some respect over the first season and well into the second and won't probably have much to show for it in all honesty. How do you transform a club over one truncated Summer transfer window and the winter one at a brand new club with respect to senior playing staff when you also get in a new coach/ manager at the same time? I would expect to see something going into the second season and see the fruits of this guy's work in the third. I think we as a fan base and particularly in this forum are critical of whoever we get - but I for one will be not overly negative or deride him like I have with the current management structure of the club unless he really asks for it and he is causing more damage than he is doing good.

I think this is the most important thing
If we see a manager who signs players to play a certain way and we see the formation and substitutions sticking to that plan then I believe the new manager / DOF will be given time.
If we see a plan and an endgame and progression towards that endgame then they will be given the fans backing.

I totally agree. I'd also expect to see some strong coherence with the style* of play of the first team with all the teams at all age levels throughout the club and various player acquisitions of players early in the career that clearly have the ability to play in that style for development in our system if we do not have a strong candidate at that level.

* predominantly to play in the ideal formation as well as being able to play and cope in a number of different formations that have been identified to provide tactical options at first team level.

I think you can absolutely judge how Walsh has done right now. The idea of a DoF is to have a vision for the entire playing side. Look at the purchases he has made. There is no rhyme/reason for a lot of them. Bolasie/Sigurdsson/Klassen are completely different styles entirely. None of the purchases you can say "oh, that goes with the idea that the club wants to play like {X}". You look at the RS, they got Salah, Mane, Firmino, VvD and Keita and you can see exactly what they are looking for in a player.

Us? "Oh, he's PREMIER LEAGUE READY!" with no thought as to how they would fit in a team.

To be fair I can see a Koeman Philosphy to a lot of our recruitment, he was a great exponent of solidity, counter in the first phase quickly with pace, if that doesn’t work triangles and craft to work a position, set prices all of those players fit that. Don’t get me wrong I think mistakes have been made, mistakes have been made or rather to many people have had an I put in my opinion.

I think when it comes to either Walsh or Brands position it’s important to understand what is exactly their remit and what is the criteria for success.

For example if say Walsh signs Lookman, Vlasic and Gibson for 20 mill and each of those sold for 50 mill in three years time does this make him a good director of recruitment or football?

I’m just curious is all, with this role in particular is it fair to judge someone role in the short term when it seems a large part of a performances dictated over the long term.

Read in the replies too that De Jong is rumoured to be his replacement. That would make sense like.

Was he in the england Euro 2012 squad..................YEs........................BUY HIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back