Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manager is the one who works with them and he defo doesn't sound like he felt we had a good window.

The defence is a midden.

I FULLY expect a free transfer in the next week to ten days, btw...that's how glaring the balls up over CB was.

It was surprising that we didnt pursue or have others lined up in case Zouma was a no go. Its all very well saying he was always going to stay at Chelsea, in all reality we were given encouragement up until the Luiz move would be my guess.

But hey, like I said, we look leaner and more potent. If we get a freebie stop gap till January, so be it.

Seems like Brands wanted a CB with prem experience as a back up, but if they are poor and over priced like Rojo and Smalling what was the point ?

It was surprising that we didnt pursue or have others lined up in case Zouma was a no go. Its all very well saying he was always going to stay at Chelsea, in all reality we were given encouragement up until the Luiz move would be my guess.

But hey, like I said, we look leaner and more potent. If we get a freebie stop gap till January, so be it.
We did pursue others, but the prices were rdiculous. I heard one of the presenters (I think it was on Sky) say this was a tough window for all clubs and was not a buyer's market. We can't go lobbing 25 mil+ on a stopgap.

Gbamin or Sidibe might end up there at points. It's a glaring mistake but then again as long as I have been following Everton we've always had one weak position. It was LB two years ago, striker last year, this year it's CB.

If we had just 3 CB's and one was good like Zouma then its fine but the issue is Holgate isnt premier league standard.

Jags would have been more reliable than this lad.

Massive blunder with Mina's injury record last year.

Would happily take a free transfer for even just 6 months to get us to January.

The fact that we never used a short term loan option for anyone in the world football market was shocking.

Think the agreed short term loan option was Rojo, some reports suggest Man U/Woodward moved the goalposts and suddenly insisted on a ridiculously expensive “sale only”, which is why it suddenly went pear shaped!
Not for one minute suggesting Rojo was the right option, or that it should have been left as late as it was to sort out!

It wasn't a disaster, far from it. It has potential with the permanent signings of three younger players like Gbamin and Kean and Iwobi.

But this was an opportunity missed overall. It needed another more experienced attack and a very decent CB to make sense to me.

I just worry about the loss of our two best sniffers out of danger in Zouma and Gueye. It could be a very dispiriting first couple of months to this season when it didn't have to be.

I could not agree less with you. It is ludicrous to suggest that Everyone could see they were not budging. What a silly thing to say. Talk about the wisdom of hindsight. If the door had been slammed shut by us a couple of weeks before, what would that say to Zouma. Bye Bye son sorry. You are not in the real world on this one.
They had a transfer ban...of course it was foreseeable.

It wasn't a disaster, far from it. It has potential with the permanent signings of three younger players like Gbamin and Kean and Iwobi.

But this was an opportunity missed overall. It needed another more experienced attack and a very decent CB to make sense to me.

I just worry about the loss of our two best sniffers out of danger in Zouma and Gueye. It could be a very dispiriting first couple of months to this season when it didn't have to be.

Yep how hard is it to get a CB from abroad?

Rugani
Llorente

To name just two who were available - add in Smalling from Utd who for a nominal fee wouldn't have been a disaster as back up.

Left us massively vulnerable there which is baffling when we were throwing £37 million bids in for another midfielder which we really didn't need.

Think the agreed short term loan option was Rojo, some reports suggest Man U/Woodward moved the goalposts and suddenly insisted on a ridiculously expensive “sale only”, which is why it suddenly went pear shaped!
Not for one minute suggesting Rojo was the right option, or that it should have been left as late as it was to sort out!

It smacked of being lazy to me mate they went domestic thinking they could get a quick fix - they should have have had other players on the list outside of the UK for a 12 month loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back