Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
An utterly laughable amount of money for a pretty bog standard player.

Imagine us paying 150m for Glen Murray, a player who has scored triple the amount of goals as Zaha.

There would be UPROAR.

I'll be frank, I was relieved when the deal didn't go through and relieved when I read we bid once, at around £52 million pounds and while we negotiated there were no bids of upwards of 70 million being turned down. It is consistent with all the other negotiations is that we negotiate hard and are prepared to walk away. We weren't getting carried away with this marquee signing nonsense.

I do understand people's frustrations. A big part of it, and you almost get a herd mentality is that it gets discussed pretty much everywhere for days. Whats starts as a really good play, with decent numbers (similar to Gylffis) very quickly becomes a world class player who will single handedly move us onto the next level. It's often not based on much other than an opinion formed in the cauldron or increasingly wild and ambitious thoughts.

I am of the view money isn't an issue (like Moshiri said) so I don't think it's as simple to say the money saved can be spent elsewhere. I think money is available whenever Brands wants it. I think they trust him implicitly and will back him. However you do have to consider FFP and other cost controls which would be impacted upon if we were tied into a massive deal.

At £50 million I would consider Zaha but thats about it. Maybe it gets done in January (don't rule it out if his influence turns toxic at Palace). The wider lesson in this though is to try not to get too caught up in the hype train around certain players. We could still finish 4th this season, and could still break the top 6. If we fail to, I sense it won't be the lack of Zaha that may be the key (I think it will be the lack of a Zouma).

Anyway it was pleasing to see Brands walking away from deals yesterday that I could have seen us committing too under Walsh & Koeman and which we are still paying the penalty for now. It's odd people don't seem to join the dots on those things. Being upset at not paying a massive fee for Zaha while at the same time bemoaning the lack of flexibility in the transfer market because we overpaid 2 years ago.

I eagerly await the day Brands can operate with full impunity having cleared the last of the dead wood off, which is essentially going to be from next summer.

Yep how hard is it to get a CB from abroad?

Rugani
Llorente

To name just two who were available - add in Smalling from Utd who for a nominal fee wouldn't have been a disaster as back up.

Left us massively vulnerable there which is baffling when we were throwing £37 million bids in for another midfielder which we really didn't need.
Rugani and llorente would've been over 30 mil each. Neither were wanted so we didn't waste our money on them.

I'm assuming the 37 mil you're referring to was for iwobi? If so, it was 28 mil.

People seem to think brands is there just to buy people. He isn't. He is there to ensure we don't waste money on dross like we have in the past. We didn't sign a defender because there were non available that Everton wanted or that we were willing to pay what was asked. Every signing since he has come in has represented good value and has improved the squad massively. This window is no different.

The next immediate task must be reducing 500/wk wages before the international transfer ends.

Mirallas
Bolasie
Sandro
Niasse
Tosun
Schneiderlin

Make it happen. We’re looking at 25m in wages per season down the drain.

I'll be frank, I was relieved when the deal didn't go through and relieved when I read we bid once, at around £52 million pounds and while we negotiated there were no bids of upwards of 70 million being turned down. It is consistent with all the other negotiations is that we negotiate hard and are prepared to walk away. We weren't getting carried away with this marquee signing nonsense.

I do understand people's frustrations. A big part of it, and you almost get a herd mentality is that it gets discussed pretty much everywhere for days. Whats starts as a really good play, with decent numbers (similar to Gylffis) very quickly becomes a world class player who will single handedly move us onto the next level. It's often not based on much other than an opinion formed in the cauldron or increasingly wild and ambitious thoughts.

I am of the view money isn't an issue (like Moshiri said) so I don't think it's as simple to say the money saved can be spent elsewhere. I think money is available whenever Brands wants it. I think they trust him implicitly and will back him. However you do have to consider FFP and other cost controls which would be impacted upon if we were tied into a massive deal.

At £50 million I would consider Zaha but thats about it. Maybe it gets done in January (don't rule it out if his influence turns toxic at Palace). The wider lesson in this though is to try not to get too caught up in the hype train around certain players. We could still finish 4th this season, and could still break the top 6. If we fail to, I sense it won't be the lack of Zaha that may be the key (I think it will be the lack of a Zouma).

Anyway it was pleasing to see Brands walking away from deals yesterday that I could have seen us committing too under Walsh & Koeman and which we are still paying the penalty for now. It's odd people don't seem to join the dots on those things. Being upset at not paying a massive fee for Zaha while at the same time bemoaning the lack of flexibility in the transfer market because we overpaid 2 years ago.

I eagerly await the day Brands can operate with full impunity having cleared the last of the dead wood off, which is essentially going to be from next summer.
I agree entirely. Nothing to add. You have summed our position up perfectly.

The whole hysteria was fueled by Sky Sports and also The Echo played a part, pushing it and pushing it, Everton have bid this, Palace want this, Everton made 1 statement, it said we bid once and that was the end of it, everything else was just media frenzy fuelled by sources that people need to be ignoring.

Brands will tell teams how much he thinks their player is worth, take it or leave it, a very, very refreshing approach and 1 that im confident will benefit us greatly in the long run.

We released/sold/loaned 17 players this window, with potentially 3 or 4 more to go out the door, we bought Gomes with Solanke money, Kean for Bolaise money. We didnt overpay for Zaha, a potentially very good player, but never a player worth the amount required, we didnt get lumped with an aging injury prone Rojo, ok we took a gamble on Delph, but 8m is utter peanuts, we signed the boy Gbamin, who ive got big hopes for and Iwobi, who is either the best thing ever or utter garbo depending on which Arsenal fan you speak to.

Im very pleased with our business, we got rid of some utter tosh, we bought some potential ballers and we did it without breaking the bank or in Zahas case, destroying our wage structure.

Its not the quick fix everybody wanted, but this whole process was always going to take 5 or 6 windows. I look at the progress we have made in just 12months and its chalk and cheese to everything thats gone before. But hey ho, people only want to take away the negatives and sadly the headline is "Everton didnt sign Zaha or a CB".

Understandably, though, goat. At least on CB, don't care on Zaha. Midfield and attack are fine. Everton are an injury and an international break rest for either Kean or Mina from playing Gibson and Holgate together against PL teams.

Brands at the end of last summer's transfer window on the subject of agents in England:

There are so many agents and people thinking they are involved. The things that happen (with agents) are getting stranger and stranger, and that’s not a good thing for football.” He added: “I’ve never seen so many agents ever in my life as I have in England. It’s unbelievable, there are a lot of agents involved in all kinds of things – too many, I think. I was polite in the beginning to meet a lot of agents and let them introduce themselves, but later on I have to work on the targets that were important to Everton.

That gives me the impression he just cant get his head around the system in this country, and it builds on what a couple of posters here on this thread earlier posted about how he sails through with ease the European based players, but seems to struggle with English based players.

He needs to learn the ropes on this and quick. He's either snubbing these agents and their culture or they're not on board with him.

The whole hysteria was fueled by Sky Sports and also The Echo played a part, pushing it and pushing it, Everton have bid this, Palace want this, Everton made 1 statement, it said we bid once and that was the end of it, everything else was just media frenzy fuelled by sources that people need to be ignoring.

Brands will tell teams how much he thinks their player is worth, take it or leave it, a very, very refreshing approach and 1 that im confident will benefit us greatly in the long run.

We released/sold/loaned 17 players this window, with potentially 3 or 4 more to go out the door, we bought Gomes with Solanke money, Kean for Bolaise money. We didnt overpay for Zaha, a potentially very good player, but never a player worth the amount required, we didnt get lumped with an aging injury prone Rojo, ok we took a gamble on Delph, but 8m is utter peanuts, we signed the boy Gbamin, who ive got big hopes for and Iwobi, who is either the best thing ever or utter garbo depending on which Arsenal fan you speak to.

Im very pleased with our business, we got rid of some utter tosh, we bought some potential ballers and we did it without breaking the bank or in Zahas case, destroying our wage structure.

Its not the quick fix everybody wanted, but this whole process was always going to take 5 or 6 windows. I look at the progress we have made in just 12months and its chalk and cheese to everything thats gone before. But hey ho, people only want to take away the negatives and sadly the headline is "Everton didnt sign Zaha or a CB".
Zaha at anything over 50M reflected his value to Palace not his value to Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back