Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably but we needed someone to score goals now not someone who might in 2/3 years.
But tbh that's my issue with Brands, he is trying to replicate his PSV philosophy here, yet the PL is a much more high pressure envrionment and we don't have the time to wait 2/3 years (like you mentioned) for players to come good. It might work with the odd player but we can't build a whole team like that we will get nowhere imo.

But tbh that's my issue with Brands, he is trying to replicate his PSV philosophy here, yet the PL is a much more high pressure envrionment and we don't have the time to wait 2/3 years (like you mentioned) for players to come good. It might work with the odd player but we can't build a whole team like that we will get nowhere imo.
I agree.

Why don;t we have the time to build a project patiently

I said in my post mate, the league is far too high pressure imo, if we just sit and wait years for players to 'maybe' come good it's a massive risk and i don't think we will ever get near europe, let alone break top 6. I just don't think Brands or Silva are the right guys to rebuild us (just my view that's all)

I said in my post mate, the league is far too high pressure imo, if we just sit and wait years for players to 'maybe' come good it's a massive risk and i don't think we will ever get near europe, let alone break top 6. I just don't think Brands or Silva are the right guys to rebuild us (just my view that's all)

But that's not what he did at PSV.

You buy in younger players with a view to developing them, making a profit and reinvesting that in either more of the same, less risky youngsters and established players. His strategy was building a squad to compete over 2 or 3 years then consistently refining it.

It's not so much that we don't have time, but it's definitely difficult to do in the PL, much more so than in Holland where even if you have a bit of a nightmare year at a club like PSV you're still finishing no worse than about 3rd. Look at the pressure Silva is under from fans and media when we're 3 points off 5th place, people just won't accept being in the bottom half here. How many managers are going to be willing to put up with that pressure knowing it's not really their fault that things aren't progressing?

It's difficult because the player trading model that we're obviously working on will often lead to situations like this. Gana was our best player, or at the very least one of them. He's gone and even if he wasn't injured his replacement was likely to take some time to get up to his level. Same with Kean coming in to be the striker we all knew we needed. These aren't cheap punts at £1-2m a go either, we've hardly bought anyone for less than £20m in the last couple of years. You can't keep doing that indefinitely, but unless you're progressing the earlier signings get the hump and want to jump ship. I don't think anybody will really be surprised if Richarlison and Digne both want out if things don't improve this season. So you then go out and sign another couple of young players to replace them, and by the time they're up to scratch the previous batch - Kean, Gbamin etc - have got fed up and moved on again. And so the whole thing starts again.

I'm not complaining about the model, it's our only shot really. It's just that I do understand why people have doubts it will work.

But that's not what he did at PSV.

You buy in younger players with a view to developing them, making a profit and reinvesting that in either more of the same, less risky youngsters and established players. His strategy was building a squad to compete over 2 or 3 years then consistently refining it.
I know what he did at PSV and all i said was that having a whole team full of young lads in the hope that they might develop one day is a risk. There is a huge difference between the dutch coaching system and the one we have, they have a much better record of developing young players so it would be much easier over there. I just don't think he is our guy that's all, im well aware that to dislike him on here is not popular and i don't care tbh it's just my view.

In which case it would seem we will never attract the right person to come to our club to be the manager or the DoF

It's not so much that we don't have time, but it's definitely difficult to do in the PL, much more so than in Holland where even if you have a bit of a nightmare year at a club like PSV you're still finishing no worse than about 3rd. Look at the pressure Silva is under from fans and media when we're 3 points off 5th place, people just won't accept being in the bottom half here. How many managers are going to be willing to put up with that pressure knowing it's not really their fault that things aren't progressing?

It's difficult because the player trading model that we're obviously working on will often lead to situations like this. Gana was our best player, or at the very least one of them. He's gone and even if he wasn't injured his replacement was likely to take some time to get up to his level. Same with Kean coming in to be the striker we all knew we needed. These aren't cheap punts at £1-2m a go either, we've hardly bought anyone for less than £20m in the last couple of years. You can't keep doing that indefinitely, but unless you're progressing the earlier signings get the hump and want to jump ship. I don't think anybody will really be surprised if Richarlison and Digne both want out if things don't improve this season. So you then go out and sign another couple of young players to replace them, and by the time they're up to scratch the previous batch - Kean, Gbamin etc - have got fed up and moved on again. And so the whole thing starts again.

I'm not complaining about the model, it's our only shot really. It's just that I do understand why people have doubts it will work.

And to me our big issue is we get so little communication from our board about what the plan is (or if that is the plan at all).

So people generally get very frustrated and a storm ends up brewing and can take over the entirety of the club.

Why DBB or Kenwright haven't come out, at any point and say the plan is to target younger players, look to improve them, move certain players on to reinvest wisely I will never know.

I would imagine if you asked your average PSV, Ajax, Dortmund, Leipzig, Monaco etc fan they would be well aware of what the club are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back