Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be true (I haven't checked). It doesn't really address the point though.

The point being made earlier was that our plan was to sign young players who improve and we then sell for a profit. I'm saying the signings we've made don't necessarily back that up, because they're not really at an age where their value is likely to rocket. The age of the squad is brought down by the likes of Davies, Holgate, DCL, plus the 2 players I mentioned that we've brought in. But as I've just said, we've brought in 7 (and tried for more) players who are older than that average, and I don't really know why. Everyone said it was a miracle that we got offered £30m for Gana because he was 29 and nobody pays that for a 29 year old. We then went and spent almost all of that on Gomes, who'll be 27 by the time he next kicks a ball. So how's his value going to go up? It's not is it? So he doesn't fit the model.

I'm not criticising Brands, I'm just saying that if you actually look at what we're doing, it isn't quite as obvious as people often make out. If your plan is to slowly get better over a couple of years by signing young players, why bring a 27 year old full back in on loan and a 29 year old who has experience right at the top of his list of positive attributes. Those signings suggest a desire to improve in the short term, but that's then undermined by the fact the striker everybody knew we needed to get was a 19 year old who doesn't look ready to do the job yet. That's why I used the word muddled, it seems like we can't quite decide whether we're trying to plan for the long term or plug gaps in the short term.

This is why I understand the shouts for better communication. If we all knew that this was a long term thing and we could see that we were putting together a really young side then people (not all of course) would be a bit more patient. Because we're still seeing Schneiderlin, Tosun, Walcott etc in the side, and we're bringing in loans and experienced heads next to them, people don't see it the same way. That type of thing is the DoF's responsibility in my book.

You will never win anything with kids.

Even that great United side had older heads in it.

The plan is to improve short term, whilst planning for the future. Its impossible to make plans while we still have wasterman players on our books.

Once things settle down squad wise things will become much clearer. I mean you mentioned Leicester earlier, for all the yoot they have bought 32 year old Jamie Vardy is unquestionably their best and most important player.

LOL

The attitude of the players comes from the manager.

Look at the attitude of the Liverpool players, Klopp gives them that, if our players act like cowards, blame the man who trains them to be cowards.
Being a professional means you are self motivated too. Once the players step over the white line they are in the spotlight. Some grasp the situation fearlessly; others wilt...guess which type we have?

Being a professional means you are self motivated too. Once the players step over the white line they are in the spotlight. Some grasp the situation fearlessly; others wilt...guess which type we have?

Put it this way.

The manager has yet to win a game in which we fall behind in.

But I know for a FACT that every single 1 of those players has won games in the past in which they fell behind in.

1 of our players won the World Cup last year Dave.

:coffee:

I find it laughable that people expect hourly updates on what our plan is.

I mean its quite clear what our plan is, to improve.

Moshiri and Brands have both done plenty of interviews, all of them have been met with a negative attitude from certain people.

Its a sense of entitlement I dont understand, we are customers, Everton is a business, nobody tells Nike what to do just cos they bought a pair of trabs.
He;s spoken once since last April...and then to a handful of subscribers to the club website.

He is distant when it suits him, and he's in your face when things are on the up.

Put it this way.

The manager has yet to win a game in which we fall behind in.

But I know for a FACT that every single 1 of those players has won games in the past in which they fell behind in.

1 of our players won the World Cup last year Dave.

:coffee:

It's a record that's worrying, I grant you. However, look at what he has to put on the ptich to get an effective Plan B. There simply isn't the variety in this first team squad (especially amongst the attackers) to switch tack dramatically in-game.

It's a record that's worrying, I grant you. However, look at what he has to put on the ptich to get an effective Plan B. There simply isn't the variety in this forst team squad (especially amongst the attackers) to switch tack dramatically in a game.

I would have this group of players pushing Liverpool at the top.

But then I dont even own a watch.

He has no need to talk outside of Transfer windows, why would he undermine the manager by piping up mid season?
He wouldn't be undermining him, he'd be underlining what the broader objectives are.

We have a fanbase primed to go off any time we slip outside the top 10. It's his job to address that culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back