Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, Gbamin played in that first game and everyone was trying to think of a worse debut EVER. It was Claus Thomsen-esque.

Delph was a good idea in theory...where it remains.

Iwobi is decent...and Brands paid £34M for him.

Kean is a disaster.
Davek translator:

I've never seen the players from outside of England, but I hate D of Fs, therefore I hate Brands, and Brands bought players from different leagues that I never heard of, so I hate them, too.

The very fact that he decided to leave us short in both defence and attack says all we need to know about this fella.

Yes, I'm sure he sat there saying "I know! I'll leave us short in attack and defence! Brands, you've done it again! What a masterful decision"

Or maybe he just couldn't get everything he wanted because he's a director of football not god.

Yes, I'm sure he sat there saying "I know! I'll leave us short in attack and defence! Brands, you've done it again! What a masterful decision"

Or maybe he just couldn't get everything he wanted because he's a director of football not god.

It is his job though and many called it at the start of the season.

I think he’s doing ok. The shear turnover in numbers has been quite an undertaking.

I’m a bit frustrated with him but I think he needs at least the Jan and Summer window before he can be judged.

I've got to be completely honest here...

Everyone tends to go on about how Gbamin had a 'nightmare' of a debut.. but apart from getting dispossesed a bit too easily in midfield at one point, possibly twice, I actually thought he looked alright considering it was his very first taste of Prem footy in a game that was still hanging in the balance...

Nobody can really say anything either way about Gbamin. He is what he is. A relatively unknown and expensive punt from the Bundesliga. Shame we couldn't replace Gueye with proven quality, but let's not expect much from Gbamin.

The very fact that he decided to leave us short in both defence and attack says all we need to know about this fella.

Short in Defence?
2 left backs - Digne and Baines
2 right backs plus back up- Coleman and Sidibe and even Cuco the Clown Martina
4 centre backs plus back up - Mina, Keane, Holgate and Gibson with Gbamin if needed?

Short in Attack?
Cenk Tosun - Experienced International
Oumar Naisse - Needs a disneyland film made about him haha
Calvert Lewin - Young english prospect
Moise Kean - Young Italian international from Juventus

add Richarlison and Walcott as back ups?

Issues are we are now being run financially better due to years of financial screw ups by ex Managers since Martinez ;-( and decisions had to be made to keep players if no buyers could be found rather then just waste more cash ;-( The u23s just won the Premier League so to help with their development I'm happier Brands decided to take a risk :-) The problem is Silva and the injuries that happened not Brands

Short in Defence?
2 left backs - Digne and Baines
2 right backs plus back up- Coleman and Sidibe and even Cuco the Clown Martina
4 centre backs plus back up - Mina, Keane, Holgate and Gibson with Gbamin if needed?

Short in Attack?
Cenk Tosun - Experienced International
Oumar Naisse - Needs a disneyland film made about him haha
Calvert Lewin - Young english prospect
Moise Kean - Young Italian international from Juventus

add Richarlison and Walcott as back ups?

Issues are we are now being run financially better due to years of financial screw ups by ex Managers since Martinez ;-( and decisions had to be made to keep players if no buyers could be found rather then just waste more cash ;-( The u23s just won the Premier League so to help with their development I'm happier Brands decided to take a risk :) The problem is Silva and the injuries that happened not Brands
Exactly this.

Arguably short in defence because we couldn't get Zouma. However, Holgate back in from his loan spell (where he was very impressive) to cover that.

Attack - we're not short of strikers, we're short of quality strikers. Even then Brands still brought in a young up and coming striker - following the strategy of investing in youth and potential.

Kean: it's the DoF's to know it. He chose a loose cannon and we're paying for it. An expensive punt on a flop with a bad attitude.

The other three I dont see a big effort by you to defend them as a step forward, and I dont blame you for not trying.

Fair enough
I'll try again
Iwobi could be a player revitalised by moving clubs. And I'm hoping he's a pacier no.10 than Siggy - he was our best player on goals last year, but there are games where we need a bit more zip and strength which I think he will give us. I'm not sure it's working to be no10 and left wing one day and then on the subs the next day.
Delph - has looked neat and tidy, but I don't know why he was signed on second thoughts - you plan for Gbamin and Gomes for the 2 midfielders, and I guess + Davies and Delph as back up or the 3rd midfielder? I think he's looked decent as a squad player but not the kind of first teamer we needed to go to the next level. I thought maybe a Barry type signing.
I really think it's also not looking good as Schneiderlin is still here, and we didn't know if Beni or someone from U23 was ready to move up to fill one of the squad places, but otherwise it looked like the next step in shifting the squad.

Kean: it's the DoF's to know it. He chose a loose cannon and we're paying for it. An expensive punt on a flop with a bad attitude.

The other three I dont see a big effort by you to defend them as a step forward, and I dont blame you for not trying.
hahaha 'a loose cannon' 'bad attitude'

You literally have no idea if that's true. It could be but you've no idea.

I thought I read he tries to avoid January signings

But whatever, he will have to use all his charm to get anyone to sign for us the way we are right now.
Hopefully we will move upwards by January which might make it a bit easier
We really can't afford mistakes in any window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back