Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think £2m a year is a huge salary ?

The senior partner at Liverpool's leading commercial law firm will be earning far less than that p.a.

I know who I'd want to do the negotiation.

Not if the same person got a job at a football club, the money in the industry is hugely inflated and no barometer of talent, I suspect you know this though.

£250M spent by Brands, and you offer a coupe of injuries as mitigating factors in defending him?

Another coach/manager/DoF could have used half that amount to get better quality in. Even the free signing like Bernard came with a massive wage attached.

He's ridiculous - a big ridiculous Dutch helmet.
That is your opinion, on balance I think it is one not generally shared.
Injuries happen and we are unlucky that we have two long term absentees who occupy key positions in midfield.
I think if you want to be critical of Brands it is that in about three areas he has left the squad light, one of them being central midfield. I think that criticism would be justified.

We also have to recognise the enormous job he faced when he first arrived of having to move on expensive , highly paid players that were not wanted at the club , but you won't accept the job he has done there either.
Nobody is perfect, but unless you give a balanced critique of his overall work while at Everton you can hardly expect your opinion to be regarded as serious.

The Iwobi signing for me didn't say much for Brands.... The only winger he could identify from around the world was an average benchwarmer for an average arsenal team... Wow....

Wasn't excited about Gbamin either, but I guess we have to wait till next season to find out if he was money wasted....

Other than that his only tactic has been signing players who once showed potential but that failed at big clubs....

Can people pick any truly masterful signing yet?.... He should be embarrassed by today's result as much as the players... It's a humiliating day for an Evertonian...

The Iwobi signing was the first real eye raiser me. It came out of nowhere and seemed like cover for not signing Zaha. Iwobi is a slightly bigger Bernard, both of whom can run, dribble and pass through the midfield but are capable of doing very little in the final third. Not really sure why we need both.

Bernard - no end product
Iwobi - nothing else needs to be said
Mina - a CB who cant keep pace with attackers
Delph - a fake hardman never out of the treatment room
Gbamin - a no mark from a no mark league
Kean - utterly hopeless, a striker that never strikes
Gomes - decent, but not a consistent performer
Richarlison - decent but inconsistent (a Silva player at Watford and almost certainly not down to Brands in any case)

Digne - the only class player he's bought

It is a pitiful haul of inadequacy. £250M for THAT.

Can there really be anyone making a case for Brands' purchases, much less retaining him?
A very fair assessment of the players he's bought, the time period he's had aswell and we are still badly and urgently in need of a good few quality players and this fella still sits on his arse, we can't be giving this fella any more wages, how long does Delphs 100+ grand a week contract last for gods sake, the man needs replacing and quick.

Not if the same person got a job at a football club, the money in the industry is hugely inflated and no barometer of talent, I suspect you know this though.
You make a decent point , the fact that DBB is our CEO tells you everything you need to know about the recruitment of talent to Everton and perhaps football in general.

Hopefully we have broken the cycle of recruiting mediocrity with the appointment of a truly world class manager.

Interesting that the appointment was made around the same time that Mr Usmanov sort of declared his hand.

You make a decent point , the fact that DBB is our CEO tells you everything you need to know about the recruitment of talent to Everton and perhaps football in general.

Hopefully we have broken the cycle of recruiting mediocrity with the appointment of a truly world class manager.

Interesting that the appointment was made around the same time that Mr Usmanov sort of declared his hand.

Hopefully Carlo can change the mentality of the Club, that's what he does, I've no reason to believe given time he can't do the same here. One thing though, no matter who does the negotiating, it must, simply must be Ancelottis call on players.

Comparing them with those signed by Walsh just makes Brands less bad - hardly a great recommendation

...that’s fair, but I think the resale valuation is a fair assessment of Brands performance. Form goes up and down, Digne is having a lean time after a quality start, I’m still convinced Mina could be a star with the right partner and there even appears demand for Kean.

For me, our better players are Brands players and it’ll be interesting to see if they feature in Ancelotti’s plans.

No.

Brands should pick the players, not a manager that will probably only be here less than 18months.

I don't agree, this model has already proven problematic with the DoF/Head Coach wanting their own players. Ancelotti is the name here, he should get the players he wants.

I also believe he will be here long term unless he walks.

...that’s fair, but I think the resale valuation is a fair assessment of Brands performance. Form goes up and down, Digne is having a lean time after a quality start, I’m still convinced Mina could be a star with the right partner and there even appears demand for Kean.

For me, our better players are Brands players and it’ll be interesting to see if they feature in Ancelotti’s plans.
strange thing is we've had 2 DoF's now and the best signing/sale we've had in the last ten years was probably a Roberto Martinez signing (Lukaku) and even that was more of a fluke as he wanted Demba Ba on loan initially.

Walsh was an absolute disaster but things ain't looking to clever in Brands camp atm either. He left us criminally short up top and at the back. The midfield really is one of those fluke occurances where both starters get long term injuries so can't hold him accountable for that. Delph simply hasn't been worth the power point presentation Brands supposedly done to convince him to sign and I like Iwobi in the number 10 role, but it's a role we seem to have decided we ain't gonna play anymore and after a promising start he really slipped performance wise.

I don't agree, this model has already proven problematic with the DoF/Head Coach wanting their own players. Ancelotti is the name here, he should get the players he wants.

I also believe he will be here long term unless he walks.

The players Ancelotti wants are the Hamez and Bales of this world.

He wont get what he wants.

But its not, they have us buying Kean 3 times and you want you to use that as a source?

Ive literally just done the maths above, 187m.

We could sell Rico in 2 years for that amount.
No, that's wrong. It's bang on £200M.

But even if you were correct, you'd still be in the situation of defending the spending of the best part of £200M on that utter tat he;s brought in.

No one is having this feller anymore mate...only you and a dwindling band of the Dutch helmet's disciples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back