• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m maybe not as bothered about this as some. Ok it’s dsatroyed this season but it seems like something that could be improved. If we were being rung through in open play all the time that would be more worrying.

How is it not worrying you?

Your right it can be improved so why after 6 months in the job is it only getting worse?

And given the single reason our season is over is because of this makes it even worse ( we had as good as chance as we ever will in the fa cup this hear given the draw etc )

Surely if it's drilled into them in training non-stop it will finally make a difference?

Do we really need to work on much other stuff at the moment? Just work on general fitness and set pieces for a couple of weeks before they can do them. Players hate practicing them, but sod it, they're so bad at them that they've lost any recourse to complain at this stage

I am pretty sure that we'll have worked on set pieces since the Millwall game, if not before, with a lot of focus Mikey. Silva has said as much every time he's been asked - I've just put the quotes on from last night where he says the same.

I don't think his system - whether man or zonal - is good enough. He needs to realise that. But he's absolutely right in saying that regardless of the work on the training pitch, it comes down to individual moments.

Training doesn't stop those mistakes because it's constantly down to Zouma being unaware of where he is, or the men are. Or Keane jumping far too early and missing the flight of the ball. Or Gomes switching off.

I don't know how much you can drill a team to make them stop doing that because it's literally one little moment and for me it's down to the players at that key point to do what they've been practising (which we can safely assume isn't to let the opposition score).

How is it not worrying you?

Your right it can be improved so why after 6 months in the job is it only getting worse?

And given the single reason our season is over is because of this makes it even worse ( we had as good as chance as we ever will in the fa cup this hear given the draw etc )

We only had a few issues at the start of the season with set-pieces, though, just teething problems really. And we didn't look bad at all once we had settled into zonal marking.

It has been since that Christmas period that it has really hurt us on a consistent basis.

It should be drilled to death... u don’t have to be smart to learn multiplication table

And my point is that drilling can only take you so far.

The players have to do it on the pitch. I honestly don't think all the training in the world will give Zouma the ability to pick his man up from a corner. Which is why he's never going to be a top CB and has simply been farmed out by Chelsea.

silva still here. for me's just another AVB: characterless, mumbling, poor tactician. The problem these guys have (nothing to do with them being portoguese btw) is three things:

- they struck it lucky early in their careers - in a weaker euro leagues. albeit avb did also win the uefa cup
- they're feted in avb's case by mourinho et al, who a that time was still successful
- they're promoted way out of their depth, culture and language capabilities too early

look at silva on the touchline, arms folded, can't speak. desperate. he's also poor tactically, quite aside from not being able to communicate his poor tactics. this zonal sh*t is awful, rico down the middle, NO. same as martinez - these fellas might be able to charm a couple of players. be an agent then, not a manager you loathsome idiots taking jobs for decent young british managers.

i have far more respect for hughton, howe, hodgson even alladyce who had a weqker squad further up the table from a dreadful start not of his own making.

time to get in a british manager, with ideally an everton connection, and/or someone from the moyes era as assistant. re-connect with fans, put some fight and organisation in the team.

i'm bored of these characterless mercenaries. silva's got the gravitas of a car salesman on a bad run, behind on the mortgage. only he's losing way more than that and doesn't appear to 'get it'. leave now.

It's the Goodison happy clappers who are keeping him in a job.

Fancy giving them a standing ovation simply because they did a bit of running last night. The applause was as if we'd just turned them over. Embarrassing. Until the fans voice their concerns he'll remain our manager.

Shambles.

And my point is that drilling can only take you so far.

The players have to do it on the pitch. I honestly don't think all the training in the world will give Zouma the ability to pick his man up from a corner. Which is why he's never going to be a top CB and has simply been farmed out by Chelsea.

They should be doing an hour a day during their break. Hardly too much to ask on what will no doubt be a free trip to Dubai or somewhere.

No one is going to convince me that there is a better answer than hard work and repetition. Hard work works. Practice works. That's the problem with our generation, they have no commitment or persistence with anything boring or difficult.

Shocking subs last night which made us weaker for the last 25 mins. Surely lookman off the bench was a better option if included. Set pieces now are inexcusable. Played well but let down again with the same old. I have doubts we will see a repeat effort on Saturday. Like to see the same team minus Walcott but that wont happen

Fancy giving them a standing ovation simply because they did a bit of running last night. The applause was as if we'd just turned them over. Embarrassing. Until the fans voice their concerns he'll remain our manager.

Shambles.
It was truly pathetic.

Booed off against Wolves and then given a standing ovation for going down 2-0, one goal through another set-piece, and only registering a solidarity shot on goal.

These happy-clappers are an embarrassment to the club. They are part of the problem and have been for years.

We're so far behind now, because these people kept Kenwright in a comfortable position for two decades.

Shambles.

Most definitely. Moshiri wont sack him unless his position becomes untenable ie. The fans have had enough.

Sadly I feel the fans not living in a cloud will have to suck up yet another abject season ended by January next year as too many fans have been suckered in by this guys patter and good looks like Martinez.

Its gutting but sadly our fanbase are largely plucky and a joke.

It was truly pathetic.

Booed off against Wolves and then given a standing ovation for going down 2-0, one goal through another set-piece, and only registering a solidarity shot on goal.

These happy-clappers are an embarrassment to the club. They are part of the problem and have been for years.

We're so far behind now, because these people kept Kenwright in a comfortable position for two decades.
Couldn't say it better.

It was truly pathetic.

I don't often blame the fans for much as ultimately its the ownership and manager/players that influence what goes on both on and off the field... however you're right a good section of our fanbase have allowed the powers that be to take the pee out of us for two decades.

Checked Instagram this morning and all of our fans were lapping up a photo of Tom Davies on his knees with his arms out shruggling his shoulders with the capion "We tried, but we couldn't get the win :(". I don't even know where to start with that. Is it insinuating that we were hard done by not to win the game? I would be able to understand if we'd battered them and conceded a late goal to draw, but we got dominated at home and comfortably lost the game two nil! It's exactly these idiots who will keep Silva in a job.

Nope, as I say in my post, whatever he's doing clearly isn't working.

But Keane was crap from set-pieces for us last year. Zouma was crap from them for a Stoke side that got relegated. Those two are consistently involved in our worst set-piece mistakes, so it probably doesn't help.

But it didn’t work at Hull or Watford. It’s an easy out him putting the blame on the players, the same as Sam with creating chances.

Be interesting, if the stats are available, to compare Watford with him in charge vs Garcia with regards to set goals being conceded. I’m sure Watford don’t have world class defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back