• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked Instagram this morning and all of our fans were lapping up a photo of Tom Davies on his knees with his arms out shruggling his shoulders with the capion "We tried, but we couldn't get the win:(". I don't even know where to start with that. Is it insinuating that we were hard done by not to win the game? I would be able to understand if we'd battered them and conceded a late goal to draw, but we got dominated at home and comfortably lost the game two nil! It's exactly these idiots who will keep Silva in a job.
Unless one of the posters was a certain Mr Moshiri then they have absolutely zero input on whether the manager gets sacked or not.

Checked Instagram this morning and all of our fans were lapping up a photo of Tom Davies on his knees with his arms out shruggling his shoulders with the capion "We tried, but we couldn't get the win:(". I don't even know where to start with that. Is it insinuating that we were hard done by not to win the game? I would be able to understand if we'd battered them and conceded a late goal to draw, but we got dominated at home and comfortably lost the game two nil! It's exactly these idiots who will keep Silva in a job.

No

It's insinuating Manchester City are much better than us. Which is crap. But it is what it is.

It's the Goodison happy clappers who are keeping him in a job.

Fancy giving them a standing ovation simply because they did a bit of running last night. The applause was as if we'd just turned them over. Embarrassing. Until the fans voice their concerns he'll remain our manager.

Shambles.

Must admit it, I found that weird, we just go 2-0 down and fans are on their feet clapping and singing at our players, if Moshiri was there last night then what happened with the fans will have gained Silva some brownie points with him.

We only had a few issues at the start of the season with set-pieces, though, just teething problems really. And we didn't look bad at all once we had settled into zonal marking.

It has been since that Christmas period that it has really hurt us on a consistent basis.

a few issues?

conceded a set piece vs wolves ( albeit a free kick )

we conceded one against Bournemouth didn't we ( sure their equaliser was a corner )

Southampton first home game, ings scored from a corner

Rotherham in the cup, scored from a set piece

Huddersfield town, scored from a long throw ( same as a set piece really init )

we had a good month in October of not doing it, then brighton at home duffy or dunk scored from a set piece

it's a myth it's only just started, it's been going on all season and it's shocking that it's getting worse

They should be doing an hour a day during their break. Hardly too much to ask on what will no doubt be a free trip to Dubai or somewhere.

No one is going to convince me that there is a better answer than hard work and repetition. Hard work works. Practice works. That's the problem with our generation, they have no commitment or persistence with anything boring or difficult.

Pretty sure they don't really have a 'break'.

They have been doing double sessions according to a few accounts, and have been in most days since Christmas due to the congested fixture list. I am sure they will have been working on set pieces.

But like I say, as much as it's Silva's doing, the players are the ones who go out on the pitch and have to deliver at the vital moment. I'm not sure all the coaching in the world can get Zouma to learn he has to move towards the ball rather than wait for the opposition to get there...

Of course hard work pays off. But then the players have to do it when it matters and our 'lionhearts' (as @deipnosophist regularly says) are adept at not doing it when it matters.

a few issues?

conceded a set piece vs wolves ( albeit a free kick )

we conceded one against Bournemouth didn't we ( sure their equaliser was a corner )

Southampton first home game, ings scored from a corner

Rotherham in the cup, scored from a set piece

Huddersfield town, scored from a long throw ( same as a set piece really init )

we had a good month in October of not doing it, then brighton at home duffy or dunk scored from a set piece

it's a myth it's only just started, it's been going on all season and it's shocking that it's getting worse

You can't really count Wolves.

Southampton we did. Rotherham and Huddersfield we did. After that it was something like four/five weeks until we conceded another set-piece goal (possibly v S'ton in the League Cup).

Dunk was the one v Brighton, but apart from that nothing again until Burnley away.

But it didn’t work at Hull or Watford. It’s an easy out him putting the blame on the players, the same as Sam with creating chances.

Be interesting, if the stats are available, to compare Watford with him in charge vs Garcia with regards to set goals being conceded. I’m sure Watford don’t have world class defenders.

He hasn't put all of the blame on the players, though. This is the thing. He is allowed to say that the players need to be aggressive because he's spot on. At the end of the day he can't head the ball for them.

He's also said that they are all responsible and need to work hard to sort it out. I don't see what's wrong with the comments. He's clearly not blind to the issues, the question is whether he's capable of sorting them. At the moment the answer is definitely not, but it'd be helped if our players weren't massive bottle jobs as well.

They have been doing double sessions according to a few accounts, and have been in most days since Christmas due to the congested fixture list. I am sure they will have been working on set pieces.

But like I say, as much as it's Silva's doing, the players are the ones who go out on the pitch and have to deliver at the vital moment. I'm not sure all the coaching in the world can get Zouma to learn he has to move towards the ball rather than wait for the opposition to get there...

Of course hard work pays off. But then the players have to do it when it matters and our 'lionhearts' (as @deipnosophist regularly says) are adept at not doing it when it matters.

Morning Toff, I don't know how true it is, but if what you say about no days off and double sessions is true, could this be playing a part in our poor form also, morale sapped and tired from over training?

With all the sports scientists they shouldn't be tired but makes you wonder.

You can't really count Wolves.

Southampton we did. Rotherham and Huddersfield we did. After that it was something like four/five weeks until we conceded another set-piece goal (possibly v S'ton in the League Cup).

Dunk was the one v Brighton, but apart from that nothing again until Burnley away.

wolves fair enough, however jiminez literally scored from a free header in the box with about 10 minutes to go, the same defending which let him score on the weekend ( more less identical goal )

even set pieces aside how many goals are we conceding from headers, atleast 10 goals conceded not from set pieces via headers. he just doesn't know how to organise a defence

Most definitely. Moshiri wont sack him unless his position becomes untenable ie. The fans have had enough.

Sadly I feel the fans not living in a cloud will have to suck up yet another abject season ended by January next year as too many fans have been suckered in by this guys patter and good looks like Martinez.

Its gutting but sadly our fanbase are largely plucky and a joke.
Soon there will be a deafening roar to welcome back Villa-Everton fixture to improve the stats...

They have a 17 day break where they will no doubt be taken on a freebie winter holiday. I've never had a 17 day break from some form of work since I left school.

They need to drill free kicks and corners 5 or 6 hours each week. We concede for fun but never score from them. Recipe for disaster. It will get him sacked if he doesn't sort it out.

wolves fair enough, however jiminez literally scored from a free header in the box with about 10 minutes to go, the same defending which let him score on the weekend ( more less identical goal )

even set pieces aside how many goals are we conceding from headers, atleast 10 goals conceded not from set pieces via headers. he just doesn't know how to organise a defence
That's a weird argument. Why are headed goals worse than any other type? Our overall defensive record is just average not terrible. I don't think we look generally awful defensively, we just look completely inept from set pieces. Very harsh to expand that to the whole defensive set up in my opinion.

Last edited:
Really good article by McNulty.

Essentially, get the set pieces bit right, and play a mixture of the young lads and the good signings that himself and brands made the summer just gone. The rest is up to Brands to fix, and what a mess Koeman and Walsh have left him with.

If he gets the set piece issue ironed out and the lads continue to show the passion they showed last night, there’s no reason to bin him off. I’m up for a period of stability for a change, think it’ll pay off in the long run.

Most definitely. Moshiri wont sack him unless his position becomes untenable ie. The fans have had enough.

Sadly I feel the fans not living in a cloud will have to suck up yet another abject season ended by January next year as too many fans have been suckered in by this guys patter and good looks like Martinez.

Its gutting but sadly our fanbase are largely plucky and a joke.

“suckered by his patter”

What patter?

All’s I ever here is monosyllabic grunting.

They have a 17 day break where they will no doubt be taken on a freebie winter holiday. I've never had a 17 day break from some form of work since I left school.
What a wonderful life. I am sure we'll be treated to some exclusive shots of their holiday warm weather training via the club's social media accounts. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back