Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's defo closer to Martinez than any other of the other mooted appointments. He likes the same 4231 system (though the central two m/fs are more adventurous than McCarthy/Barry were) and he looks to get overloads in the opposition half and play on the counter when possible. I do think he likes to move the ball about quicker though and isn't as obsessed with possession.

Here's the crux of the matter Dave, a Martinez who realised the importance of having a very fit squad and who had a number two who was given the responsibility for the defensive training side of things, would have actually been a very good manager

Here's the crux of the matter Dave, a Martinez who realised the importance of having a very fit squad and who had a number two who was given the responsibility for the defensive training side of things, would have actually been a very good manager
This. He was brilliant at motivating young players and getting them playing well. Look how much lukaku loved him.

This. He was brilliant at motivating young players and getting them playing well. Look how much lukaku loved him.

The problems start when the players have been there long enough to see that flaws are never being worked on or fixed and slowly fitness and defensive rigidity erodes when not worked as hard on.

As i said he had some great positive things for him, but some fatal flaws which where exposed badly at a higher level of expectation

Good fair points with analaysis most don't seem to know why they don't want him.

I suppose you would Hope during the interview we would ask how he sees us playing with the current squad, & then how he plans to change the team to Transition towards his final desired style of play.

Note if he says I'm bombing Williams, jags & baines in January I'd give him the job there & then.

Agree that if he comes in an plays a high line with no Midfield cover we will struggle. If he gets the job he needs to be pragmatic to begin with before changing to his preferred style of play.

If he can demonstrate this then perhaps we have a compromise between roberto & Ronald which seems to be what we need & most of the sensible posters desire.

That’s my concern, the players at his disposal. Our midfield as been a nightmare this year, no protection whatsoever. Morgs has been disgusting and Gana has been so inconsistent. Silva likes to 2 big athletic and energetic box to box midfielders; Barkley couldn’t do that role in my opinion, neither could Gylfi or Klassan; Benni and Davies are to young and again not that type of player.

The back line you’ve addressed spot on, Williams and Jags are far to slow to play a high line and Keane has been a bit of a letdown since he arrived.

Then we have the attack, Lookman would have to play, but again he his prone to losing possession. Lennon is dependable but not going to set the world on fire, he’ll certainly put his shift in supporting the right back but going forward he can be easily out marked.

He’d need to overhaul the squad again in January and that relies on that balled bellend delivering from his ivory tower, all the while trying to integrate new players into a group which are still relatively new.

Basically it’s a bitch of a job and I pity anyone who has to take it on, we just need to tread a bit carefully

One thing I have with Silva is he hasn't done it over a sustained period yet. Yes Sunday was only 1 bad game but he has been in this country 6 months.

That being said he is a very young manager. Much like Emery I would imagine if he continues on the same trajectory he will be out of our range quite quickly. He seems like the sort of fella who might go to Arsenal, Valencia of Athletico Madrid even this summer.

If he came, unless we got our act together majorly off the pitch (ie second big round of investment, old board cleared out) I could see him moving on quite quickly. That doesn't feel natural or massively beneficial to me, but in the short term we may need to accept we will have some managers passing through on shorter contracts but each improving us a little.

I'd be keen to know what his credentials are like for youth development elsewhere. So far from the two jobs he's done he seems to have thrown the cards up and got a disparate group well organised quickly. He will need those skills before January but in the more medium term how he will develop our younger squad will be a very central question. We are not Watford or Hull.

Him and Fonseca feel like they will both go on to be very good managers, much like Unai Emery felt that way 3-4 years ago. Football goes in cycles and Portugal are producing lots of top coaches, perhaps the Mourinho factor. This guy has PL experience which differentiates him from Fonseca.

I'd be very happy if we got him but would appreciate any info on how he develops players?

Roberto was a mix of modernity in terms of strategy and the grasp of technique he demanded and old fashioned boss management in the sense he wasn't a great delegator...he even appointed himself chief physio I think!

That’s my concern, the players at his disposal. Our midfield as been a nightmare this year, no protection whatsoever. Morgs has been disgusting and Gana has been so inconsistent. Silva likes to 2 big athletic and energetic box to box midfielders; Barkley couldn’t do that role in my opinion, neither could Gylfi or Klassan; Benni and Davies are to young and again not that type of player.

The back line you’ve addressed spot on, Williams and Jags are far to slow to play a high line and Keane has been a bit of a letdown since he arrived.

Then we have the attack, Lookman would have to play, but again he his prone to losing possession. Lennon is dependable but not going to set the world on fire, he’ll certainly put his shift in supporting the right back but going forward he can be easily out marked.

He’d need to overhaul the squad again in January and that relies on that balled bellend delivering from his ivory tower, all the while trying to integrate new players into a group which are still relatively new.

Basically it’s a bitch of a job and I pity anyone who has to take it on, we just need to tread a bit carefully
Great post you have depressed me though as your correct

Roberto was a mix of modernity in terms of strategy and the grasp of technique he demanded and old fashioned boss management in the sense he wasn't a great delegator...he even appointed himself chief physio I think!

He actually was a trained physio i believe - but yeah that was a touch of arrogance/ego, as i said Dave, he had some very good points, which by the end had been forgotten because the bad was so very very bad.

In NFL terms he'd have been a fantastic Offensive co-ordinator and much like in that game some of the best ones absolutely flop when they step up to become the managers/head coach.

Reminds me a little of Pochettino although I suspect Arsenal or even Chelsea will grab him in the summer. If we have any chance of getting him then he would be my first pick. The football his teams play is really good and he can get a tune out of poor players and has his record outside England is nothing to be sniffed at.

As others have said a bit of a mixture between what Koeman said he would be and Martinez.

Last edited:

Fair points chris, but I think he can adapt that back-line and coach it better until January.

Our CD is a mess. It cant be the usual perm of three week to week. Anyone arriving here and taking over needs to try and creatively solve that by finding a blend and find within the ranks a Maascherano type who pops out of the back four and shuts down opposition moves.

Maybe silva could be the one that finds the solution, they do play nice football and are quite fluid. That Brazilian lad was a find and a half. But yeah, that defences is a shambles, I thought Keane may have given us a bit more stability but he looks a nervous wreck at times

Great post you have depressed me though as your correct

He may actually have the answers; it’s the unknown and that’s what I’m worried about. Whoever comes in must have Lookman and Vlasic in the team imo; simply because of the pace they offer.

Teams do tend to be wary and this season they can just sit and not be concerned about getting hit on the counter at all.

Maybe silva could be the one that finds the solution, they do play nice football and are quite fluid. That Brazilian lad was a find and a half. But yeah, that defences is a shambles, I thought Keane may have given us a bit more stability but he looks a nervous wreck at times

He needs a settled and pacey partner.

Barkley is wanted by Spurs to be either Ali's replacement or Dembele's replacement.

I guess if it's Dembele's replacement we will soon see. I suspect with good coaching in a high flying team we will see just how good Barkley is. Look at Stones. It took Pep a while but what a player he is becoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back