Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think it did. Half a season didn't wipe out all the previous seasons of good work. He would have had a lot of offers if he'd waited for them, but he took the LFC one. And to be honest, we actually played some good football that last season! Some of the games where just mind boggling in that every shot we conceded went in and we couldn't hit a barn door. Added to a bit of world cup hangover and yes the injuries to big players, it was one of those things, it happens. We worked through it, I actually think it showed a bit more about his ability when the chips are down, to keep a team together too, they never gave up on him.

But yes I agree with you about getting a younger manager in, sometimes you have to take a risk! It is sort of the same as the situation we where in in 2008 when we got Klopp. Not quite the same, cos you guys can spend more I am sure, Dortmund where in a financial mess at the time, which you are not. But otherwsie the comparison can be there - big club who's take a knock and is feeling rather sorry for itself I guess! We took a risk then, and it worked. And we had a long term strategy in place too, that is the most important thing - and fans willing to be patient. We just needed that hope - and we got that very quickly with really enjoyable football and passion, hard work and exitement that came from having a young squad growing together (and two or 3 old timers in to help!). I hope that is what you get. Takes a bit of patience though, and of course the right coach.

yeh, I covered you quite a bit the season after and tbf in that first season under Tuchel you didn't play any differently really (in terms of being weak defensively - let's be honest, you were never the strongest under Klopp or Tuchel at that), but you did have more luck/clinical edge in front of goal.

And you're spot on with the second bit!

Pragmatic and functional. The football is boring but under him we beat Utd away for the first time since before I had pubes and, at the time, achieved a record number of points (72). He was lucky to have Bale in his prime though who won us lots of games 1-0.

Well dressed and hipster beard. Three pinter. ....

Yeh Bale was the one who propelled your mob under AVB.

A bit like Rom and Koeman in 16/17, in hindsight.

That's when the great managers are separated from the decent ones.

Can't wait to start playing an attacking and fast paced brand of football after watching fat sam bore us to death. I actually hated football while fat sam was here. Hopefully no more 1 shot performances with 25% possession against mid table clubs. I'm willing to be patient and give the club time to get it right this time, though. Going to be near impossible to get rid of some of these dead players on massive wages.

Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

I'm just a bit bored by people who instantly dismiss Silva because they see some defeats at Hull and Watford and think he can't be good enough for us. Looking at club names and results without ever actually watching the football. Of course he's a gamble but I'm happy to take a chance on someone with a growing reputation for good attacking football and great man management skills and see how it goes... It's going to be more fun than Sam's hoofball anyway.

Apologies only just read this now, but great post! The sense of entitlement of some posters on here with regards to the manager they want smacks of the same sense of entitlement of fans of two certain other "north west" teams, who both happen to play in red, and their sense that they almost deserve to win the league or cup before a ball has been kicked just because of who they are

I have come to hate the phrase "be careful what you wish for" that was bandied about when the last bloke who sat in the managers chair got the big E! Lets face it we have won nothing for twenty three years why would one of the "elite" managers come here at the moment, therefore we must take a degree of risk with this appointment and then give the new guy whether that be Silva or whoever a fair chance! In Brands (very good interview btw) the other day he made the point of working with a young progressive manager who wants to work with younger players, yes it may be a gamble but like @dancing llama I'm with him and happy to take a chance, you never know we might enjoy it!

Mancini Pochettino and Klopp went to teams without CL football.

Have an ambitious manager/project with cash to spend and they will come,those managers attracted players and they elevated those teams.

Time for Moshiri to be bold,if not expect middle of the road managers with middle of the table results.
How can you put Poch in the bracket of Mancini and Klopp? One won the Bundesliga and is a multiple CL finalist and the other is a Premier and Serie A champion, not to mention an all-time great player.

Can't wait to start playing an attacking and fast paced brand of football after watching fat sam bore us to death. I actually hated football while fat sam was here. Hopefully no more 1 shot performances with 25% possession against mid table clubs. I'm willing to be patient and give the club time to get it right this time, though. Going to be near impossible to get rid of some of these dead players on massive wages.

Massive this mate probably going to be 3-5 years while we get rid of these people of our wage bill. If it is to be Silva we get behind him too.

Under AVB we were essentially just giving the ball to Bale and letting him win us games by the odd goal. It wasn't entertaining football but it had very entertaining moments just because of how good Bale was at the time.

After Bale was sold the money was spent in a very poor way and he at the very least had a big influence how that money was spent. Soldado, Paulinho etc.

After the sale of Bale we were pretty awful, still capable of beating smallish sides but mostly poor against any bigger side. Pochettino spent his first couple of summers fixing the squad from the damage done under AVB, after Pochettino's first season he had to sell/release 14 players.

There were a fair few embarrassing results as well, like losing to City 6-0, Liverpool 5-1 and Arsenal 5-2.

After the sale of Bale we were pretty awful, still capable of beating smallish sides but mostly poor against any bigger side. Pochettino spent his first couple of summers fixing the squad from the damage done under AVB, after Pochettino's first season he had to sell/release 14 players.

There were a fair few embarrassing results as well, like losing to City 6-0, Liverpool 5-1 and Arsenal 5-2.
I know, the team had gotten so awful they were seventh in the Premier League and had won all six of their Europa League matches. Tottenham think a fair bit of themselves these days, but thats recent history, and would be an extremely different tune about the manager if it werent for these past 2 seasons alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back