Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pragmatic and functional. The football is boring but under him we beat Utd away for the first time since before I had pubes and, at the time, achieved a record number of points (72). He was lucky to have Bale in his prime though who won us lots of games 1-0.

Well dressed and hipster beard. Three pinter. ....
Far better option than Silva.

...it might be that Brands doesn’t officially start until 1st June.

I would have hoped that both him and the new manager had started ‘work’ months ago. If we’re only just getting started on June 1st then we’re already behind the ball again. United and City are already lining up their first transfers.

I would have hoped that both him and the new manager had started ‘work’ months ago. If we’re only just getting started on June 1st then we’re already behind the ball again. United and City are already lining up their first transfers.
Did our business early last year and other than Pickford wasn't too successful.:dodgy:

I actually think there is way too much significance given to a manager. A manager is only as good as the players.

If you looked at any one random game this season under Koeman, Unsworth and Allardyce - you would actually be hard pressed to find any discernible differences in performance.

Did you see the state of team that won the league in Fergie's final year.

Is it not that his reputation as an 'elite' coach certainly took a bit of a hit? Not at Dortmund or in Germany, but definitely in other countries.

It was a bit like his style had been found out at the time and he needed to change things.

I just don't - like you have said - think it's comparable to our current situation. Yes, I'd love a Sarri or Conte to come here, but even if you throw all the money in the world at them, it doesn't mean they'll be interested when there's better options on the table.

So surely the correct approach is to get a young, ambitious manager who wants to get himself into that 'elite' bracket, while simultaneously propelling us forward as a club (with Brands' long-term strategy in place).

I honestly don't think it did. Half a season didn't wipe out all the previous seasons of good work. He would have had a lot of offers if he'd waited for them, but he took the LFC one. And to be honest, we actually played some good football that last season! Some of the games where just mind boggling in that every shot we conceded went in and we couldn't hit a barn door. Added to a bit of world cup hangover and yes the injuries to big players, it was one of those things, it happens. We worked through it, I actually think it showed a bit more about his ability when the chips are down, to keep a team together too, they never gave up on him.

But yes I agree with you about getting a younger manager in, sometimes you have to take a risk! It is sort of the same as the situation we where in in 2008 when we got Klopp. Not quite the same, cos you guys can spend more I am sure, Dortmund where in a financial mess at the time, which you are not. But otherwsie the comparison can be there - big club who's take a knock and is feeling rather sorry for itself I guess! We took a risk then, and it worked. And we had a long term strategy in place too, that is the most important thing - and fans willing to be patient. We just needed that hope - and we got that very quickly with really enjoyable football and passion, hard work and exitement that came from having a young squad growing together (and two or 3 old timers in to help!). I hope that is what you get. Takes a bit of patience though, and of course the right coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back