Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

I'm just a bit bored by people who instantly dismiss Silva because they see some defeats at Hull and Watford and think he can't be good enough for us. Looking at club names and results without ever actually watching the football. Of course he's a gamble but I'm happy to take a chance on someone with a growing reputation for good attacking football and great man management skills and see how it goes... It's going to be more fun than Sam's hoofball anyway.

Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

I'm just a bit bored by people who instantly dismiss Silva because they see some defeats at Hull and Watford and think he can't be good enough for us. Looking at club names and results without ever actually watching the football. Of course he's a gamble but I'm happy to take a chance on someone with a growing reputation for good attacking football and great man management skills and see how it goes... It's going to be more fun than Sam's hoofball anyway.
Good points.

But for all the talk from Moshiri of getting back to where we belong i expect a top class manager,his appointments so far have been middle of the road and Silva would be the same.

I want someone who's a bigger name than the likes of Koeman BFS and Silva.

Good points.

But for all the talk from Moshiri of getting back to where we belong i expect a top class manager,his appointments so far have been middle of the road and Silva would be the same.

Me too but who? I'd love a Simeone or a Conte but not sure they are that excited by the idea of us. Not sure there is any available big name manager that might actually be tempted to join us now that Emery is off the board.

Reactions: Tak
Lots seem to be warming to Silva now and some even becoming defensive of him, like they're resigned to the fact it's going to be him and they don't want to admit they're disappointed. Kinda like someone who's going to have an arranged marriage to a munter and are putting a brave face on and they're pretending everything's sound and they like her cos they don't want to let their family down but deep down they know there is no love or attraction in it.[/QUOTE
Or maybe they are like me. They are demob happy that Allardyce has finally gone. They are looking forward to watching a different brand of football that does not involve getting 10 men behind a ball which is then hoofed into outer space. They ideally would have preferred somebody with a better track record in the premiership, but accept that after nearly 5 years of failure we need to try something different and are willing to give this DoF system a go rather than write it off before it has even started.

Hahahaha, at least try to understand the basic definitions of the words you use. Pompous "self-important, vain". An entire post backing the resume of some other coach and person has nothing to do with personal vanity. But you knew that, you just didnt have any good response except for "but bale". If we had Bale and added no other players, would we then get top 4? Also, how come those OTHER Tottenham managers who had Bale failed to do what AVB? AVB was THE most successful manager at Tottenham when Bale was there, period.
The pomposity was your ‘epitome of ignorance’ opening gambit, which for reasons best known, you felt the need to use, in order to set your opinion up as being somehow superior. So save your severely misplaced patronising jarg on me.

Period.....’nuff said.

Emery, Wenger and Favre where my 3 personal favourites and none will get the job.

Blanc wont be given a thought neither will Leipzigs former manager or Napoli's so Silva seems the best of an uninspiring bunch (Howe, Fonesca)

Still think Pellegini is a missed opportunity as with our financial backing he could have guaranteed us top 7 imo.

I just cant get fully behind this bloke even though im trying. Post Alladyce we needed a manager to fully unite the fanbase and I dont think Silva does. Hopefully he proves his worth and has us getting back to our best.

Emery, Wenger and Favre where my 3 personal favourites and none will get the job.

Blanc wont be given a thought neither will Leipzigs former manager or Napoli's so Silva seems the best of an uninspiring bunch (Howe, Fonesca)

Still think Pellegini is a missed opportunity as with our financial backing he could have guaranteed us top 7 imo.

I just cant get fully behind this bloke even though im trying. Post Alladyce we needed a manager to fully unite the fanbase and I dont think Silva does. Hopefully he proves his worth and has us getting back to our best.

Blanc - nothing special imo, reminds me of Koeman (big name etc)
Hassenhutl (spelt wrong, like) - should be considered as an option
Sarri - no chance. Chelsea deal tied up months back.

Silva - he's definitely good enough for where we are now, and a step in the right direction. He has to prove himself after getting the Watford treatment.

Good points.

Unfortunately to get those big names you HAVE to be in the Champions League.

Pellegrini may have the experience, but he isn't considered among the likes of Conte, Pep, Mourinho, Simeone etc.

Sarri is the one attempting to leap into that top category of elite coaches. He's taken a risk leaving Napoli because the Chelsea job was pretty much tied up months back - it's all on Conte leaving quickly now.

Conte won't then drop down back into the next bracket, however. It doesn't work that way - no matter what the money is - within the European structure. If he wants a big pay day, he'll go to China with no pressure. Conte has nothing to prove in Europe so why drop to the second/third tier of clubs to do it all again, when he can simply bide his time for another big job to come along.

Now, the onus is on Everton to get an ambitious, forward thinking coach willing to work under our model who has the determination to do what Sarri is doing - i.e. move a club up into the 'elite' set of clubs in Europe, even if that's simply to further his own reputation.

Whether Silva is the right man for that remains to be seen. I have my doubts, but he's certainly a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately to get those big names you HAVE to be in the Champions League.
Mancini Pochettino and Klopp went to teams without CL football.

Have an ambitious manager/project with cash to spend and they will come,those managers attracted players and they elevated those teams.

Time for Moshiri to be bold,if not expect middle of the road managers with middle of the table results.

Mancini Pochettino and Klopp went to teams without CL football.

Have an ambitious manager/project with cash to spend and they will come,those managers attracted players and they elevated those teams.

Time for Moshiri to be bold,if not expect middle of the road managers with middle of the table results.

Mauricio Pochettino was very much like Silva though - that's my point. Poch was a middle of the road manager with middle of the table results in both Spain and England.

Poch has become a big name because of what he has done with Spurs. Not because of what he did with Southampton.

The same logic would be for us with Martinez. Had Martinez replicated what he did with us in his first season during years 2 and 3, and we'd become a CL-challenging side - then he'd be valued as a top manager like Poch is.

Klopp is slightly different. He had actually suffered a big fall from grace at Dortmund in that final season and, while he was loved at the club, there were doubts over his credentials to do it outside of Germany.

Liverpool suited him at that time as they were a second-tier club and he wasn't considered one of the elite managers as he now is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back