Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
his record isn't even that bad. its not like he left them languishing in the league.

he then went on to win titles and cups.

spurs record : played 80 W 45 D 18 L 17 for 145 against 100

Chelsea record played 40 W 20 D 10 L 10 for 70 against 46

well those records are far better than silva

id say AVB premier league results are actually quite impressive and an about turn on Silva's losing record.

That is true of Silva's time with relegation fodder in the premier league which any Manager would have struggled with but to be fair, it is not true of his record prior to that. Silva has higher Win Rates and also won a title and cup. Have added win rate percentages to your post above for comparisons.

Marco Silva prior to the Premier League:

Sporting CP 21st May 2014 - 4th June 2015 - 53 Games, 31 Wins, 15 Draw, 7 Loss - Win Rate 58.5%

Won the Taça de Portugal Cup

-----

Olympiacos 8th July 2015 - 23rd June 2016 - 48 Games, 38 Wins, 3 Draw, 7 Loss - Win Rate 79.2 %

Won the Superleague (top division)

Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

I'm just a bit bored by people who instantly dismiss Silva because they see some defeats at Hull and Watford and think he can't be good enough for us. Looking at club names and results without ever actually watching the football. Of course he's a gamble but I'm happy to take a chance on someone with a growing reputation for good attacking football and great man management skills and see how it goes... It's going to be more fun than Sam's hoofball anyway.

Exactly. I really don't understand the point in comparing their PL records. If anything Silva's first 12-14 games at Watford is far more impressive than AVB's at Chelsea or Spurs. Shame about everything that happened afterwards.

he could have guaranteed us top 7 imo

BFS, Koeman and Unsworth between them got us 8th, guaranteed top 7 is minimum for anyone imo.

Mauricio Pochettino was very much like Silva though - that's my point. Poch was a middle of the road manager with middle of the table results in both Spain and England.

Poch has become a big name because of what he has done with Spurs. Not because of what he did with Southampton.

The same logic would be for us with Martinez. Had Martinez replicated what he did with us in his first season during years 2 and 3, and we'd become a CL-challenging side - then he'd be valued as a top manager like Poch is.

Klopp is slightly different. He had actually suffered a big fall from grace at Dortmund in that final season and, while he was loved at the club, there were doubts over his credentials to do it outside of Germany.

Liverpool suited him at that time as they were a second-tier club and he wasn't considered one of the elite managers as he now is.

You are right that he is slightly different, he was never going to go to one of the newly rich clubs, and he turned down Man Utd previously, so I guess that didn't interest him either.
He just loves a project, that is what he is like, so Liverpool where lucky more than anything with the timing. He loves the history of the game, the romatic side of things for want of a better way of describing it, the bonds he forms with clubs etc. He didnt suffer a big fall from grace. Dortmund had half a season when eveything that could go wrong did go wrong, and then he and the playesrs turned it around. He could have gone to far bigger, better and richer clubs than Liverpool, but that isn't what interested him. They got lucky, simple as that.

Listen guys all these big names they were never coming here, we are a club in decline not one of the big six any more. We haven't won a trophy in twenty three years, your Swansea's, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Leicester and such have so Silva is the best we can get.. Give the guy a chance he will be working with Brands who looks like he knows what a DOF is.. Just embrace it we have had crap for years this might just be the dawn of something good. It's got to be better than Fat Sam, and for once we might enjoy going to watch a football match.

Silva will have to buy in to what Brands wants, a young attack minded team. So let's give him a chance everyone has to start somewhere he could be are special one, lets just enjoy the ride it could be fun..

It's going to take him 3 years to build a team. Within that period if there a bad patch of games (which there is bound to be due to the change of playing style) he will be sacked

You are right that he is slightly different, he was never going to go to one of the newly rich clubs, and he turned down Man Utd previously, so I guess that didn't interest him either.
He just loves a project, that is what he is like, so Liverpool where lucky more than anything with the timing. He loves the history of the game, the romatic side of things for want of a better way of describing it, the bonds he forms with clubs etc. He didnt suffer a big fall from grace. Dortmund had half a season when eveything that could go wrong did go wrong, and then he and the playesrs turned it around. He could have gone to far bigger, better and richer clubs than Liverpool, but that isn't what interested him. They got lucky, simple as that.

Is it not that his reputation as an 'elite' coach certainly took a bit of a hit? Not at Dortmund or in Germany, but definitely in other countries.

It was a bit like his style had been found out at the time and he needed to change things.

I just don't - like you have said - think it's comparable to our current situation. Yes, I'd love a Sarri or Conte to come here, but even if you throw all the money in the world at them, it doesn't mean they'll be interested when there's better options on the table.

So surely the correct approach is to get a young, ambitious manager who wants to get himself into that 'elite' bracket, while simultaneously propelling us forward as a club (with Brands' long-term strategy in place).

It's all making sense, Brands has extensive South American networks, Silva is Portuguese,it can only mean one thing Brazilians all over the show...Right lads?

Move over Joey - There’s a new sheriff in town.
man_with_no_name_2_by_splashed_ink-d39v6t5.jpg

Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

I'm just a bit bored by people who instantly dismiss Silva because they see some defeats at Hull and Watford and think he can't be good enough for us. Looking at club names and results without ever actually watching the football. Of course he's a gamble but I'm happy to take a chance on someone with a growing reputation for good attacking football and great man management skills and see how it goes... It's going to be more fun than Sam's hoofball anyway.

Brilliantly put post.

Half the forum won’t listen though mate, they DEMAND a big name who has a list of honours longer than your arm.

I salute your post though, great work.

Brilliant post that mate....

So you're saying we should be going after Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger or Antonio Conte?

I actually think there is way too much significance given to a manager. A manager is only as good as the players.

If you looked at any one random game this season under Koeman, Unsworth and Allardyce - you would actually be hard pressed to find any discernible differences in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back