Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't though Dave is it?

If Koeman wins the Premier League with 71 points then he has surpassed Martinez automatically, because he's won the League where Martinez didn't

If Koeman qualifies for the Champions League on more than one occasion with less than 72 points on each occasions, he will have surpassed Martinez

League Position > Points Total when it comes to importance

Martinez got 72 points in a season where there was a massive gap between the top 7 and everyone else, so much so that 72 points only got him 5th when in a more even League it would have probably got him top 4

Once the quality of the League got better in the next two seasons, Martinez did far worse whereas Koeman has now been able to keep pace with two different clubs

72 points is not the target, beating or matching 5th place is, and there's an outside chance he can do that this season

If he gets 5th with less than 72 points this season he will have matched Martinez IMO because the League in 16/17 is of a tougher standard than it was in 13/14

Context is important Dave, it's not just about numbers, you rapscallion you
I agree. But a CL spot usually goes hand in hand with 70 odd points.

You do know we won stuff prior to the formation of the PL, it's meaningless what bobby got. The Ronk will have heights set of HC and HK, not that fraud. That's how history is made, certainly not by recording the worst home record points total in 138 years
Mighty large statement to make on the back of a 7th place showing so far.

The sort of thing likely to get vaulted in short order I would suggest.

Martinez isnt the benchmark for any Everton manager David.

Loads of Everton managers finished 5th.

Not in the CL era mate.

Look: it's quite simple - how many manager's outside those at the so called top clubs have had a season where his team has broken through the 70 point barrier? Spurs when they weren't regarded as a top club a few seasons back and Everton in Martinez's first season.

You and the other Bobby-deniers can struggle all you like trying to avoid that, but you just end up looking ridiculous calling Martinez (last won a trophy in the last five years btw unlike Koeman a decade ago) a "fraud". You do recognise that calling him that makes you look ridiculous dont you? I know you do deep down, tbf, hence all the time spent trying to deny the record's significance.

That ^^^ gets forgotten about when Koeman betters it. Shouldn't be too long now - after all he is a £6M per year superstar manager....isn't he....?

Not in the CL era mate.

Look: it's quite simple - how many manager's outside those at the so called top clubs have had a season where his team has broken through the 70 point barrier? Spurs when they weren't regarded as a top club a few seasons back and Everton in Martinez's first season.

You and the other Bobby-deniers can struggle all you like trying to avoid that, but you just end up looking ridiculous calling Martinez (last won a trophy in the last five years btw unlike Koeman a decade ago) a "fraud". You do recognise that calling him that makes you look ridiculous dont you? I know you do deep down, tbf, hence all the time spent trying to deny the record's significance.

That gets forgottwn about when Koeman betters it. Shouldn't be too long now - after all he is a £6M per year superstar manager....isn't he....?

To be honest David, points are meaningless to me, I honestly couldnt tell you how many points we had in 87 when we won the League, I just know we finished 1st.

As for Koeman, I also couldnt care less how mnay points he gets per season, hes not judged on points totals, hes judged on league placing.

Martinez finished 5th, then 11th, then 13th.

Without checking, how many points did he have when we finished 11th? I bet you couldnt tell me without cheating, cos the points dont mean a thing, you dont get prize money based on points, you dont win the league based on points, you win the league by being first.

...but you say Koeman's the Messiah when he has us at 7th.

Lol.

Because your hero took this club to 13th so 7th is a significant improvement.

As I have said this a number of times, RM took a 6th place team with 63 points, improved it by 1 position and 9 points then you see his true colours. And you keep banging on his first season 5th place medal.

To be honest David, points are meaningless to me, I honestly couldnt tell you how many points we had in 87 when we won the League, I just know we finished 1st.

As for Koeman, I also couldnt care less how mnay points he gets per season, hes not judged on points totals, hes judged on league placing.

Martinez finished 5th, then 11th, then 13th.

Without checking, how many points did he have when we finished 11th? I bet you couldnt tell me without cheating, cos the points dont mean a thing, you dont get prize money based on points, you dont win the league based on points, you win the league by being first.
Well, we're 7th now so judge him on that. Leave seasons ahead to unfold.

It's a steady eddie effort. No frills, just solid. Probably the kind of back to basics season we required to be fair.

Next season there will be expectations to satisfy. This season he has as a gimme.

Well, we're 7th now so judge him on that. Leave seasons ahead to unfold.

It's a steady eddie effort. No frills, just solid. Probably the kind of back to basics season we required to be fair.

Next season there will be expectations to satisfy. This season he has as a gimme.

11th to 7th? Massive progress in my eyes.

I will be demanding higher than 7th next season tho, for sure, surely we all will?

11th to 7th? Massive progress in my eyes.

I will be demanding higher than 7th next season tho, for sure, surely we all will?

Massive progress? If you think back to Moyes first season THAT was massive progress going from about 16th to 7th. But from mid-table to 7th? Nah.

There has to be a leap next season though.

Massive progress? If you think back to Moyes first season THAT was massive progress going from about 16th to 7th. But from mid-table to 7th? Nah.

There has to be a leap next season though.

11th isnt mid table, its bottom half.

Sadly Martinez took us backwards, for 2 seasons, so we needed to get back what we lost, all of Moyes hard work was undone in 2 seasons by an utter clown, but ok, Ronnys here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back