Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be glad when the first season v first season comparisons are over, although you make a fantastic point about the comparison between where Martinez and Koeman found us (which matters @mkrudden)

But when the 2nd season v 2nd season starts it's going to be a blood bath.

There really wasn't that much of a difference. A couple of league places. If you wanted to play devils advocate you could say that Martinez inherited an aging squad with no proper striker on the books and a back 4 that needed replacing sooner rather than later. Koeman inherited a (debatable) world class striker.

I don't see the point of comparing to be honest. Until Koeman wins something (and he very well might) they can all bugger off. I am sick of comparing how good we did in the also ran race.

I prefer Koeman to Martinez.
God, didn't the latter talk some absolute BS
I don't wish him ill, nor well; I'm just glad Moshiri sacked him.

There really wasn't that much of a difference. A couple of league places. If you wanted to play devils advocate you could say that Martinez inherited an aging squad with no proper striker on the books and a back 4 that needed replacing sooner rather than later. Koeman inherited a (debatable) world class striker.

I don't see the point of comparing to be honest. Until Koeman wins something (and he very well might) they can all bugger off. I am sick of comparing how good we did in the also ran race.
Me too. But as long as the comparisons are made I feel compelled to defend Everton and Koeman and I'll continue to hammer Martinez for his 21 wins from 75 games when it was his squad with his mentality playing to his tactics.

Also I'd suggest 7 places is a difference, so if you're saying there wasn't much of a difference between what Koeman and Martinez inherited why on earth did Martinez pick that squad up in 6th and leave us in 13th?

Also I'd suggest 7 places is a difference, so if you're saying there wasn't much of a difference between what Koeman and Martinez inherited why on earth did Martinez pick that squad up in 6th and leave us in 13th?

Honestly? To me no, I couldn't give a toss. It is just different levels of nothingness and I am bored with it. I don't really care if we come 13th, 7th or 2nd. I want to win something, if they don't then they are all failures in my eyes. Moyes, Martinez, Smith, they are all the same to me.

Honestly? To me no, I couldn't give a toss. It is just different levels of nothingness and I am bored with it. I don't really care if we come 13th, 7th or 2nd. I want to win something, if they don't then they are all failures in my eyes. Moyes, Martinez, Smith, they are all the same to me.

Sorry. The most nonsensical thing I've ever heard in my life. Why on earth don't you care about Everton winning more games than they lose? Does that mean you never enjoy wins because they don't amount to winning a trophy?

I'd save this post for when he's drawn against Germany/Italy/Brazil/Argentina in the World Cup knock out round...
Feel free to vault me Mikey should they actually beat any of them but in fairly confident they won't. I'm almost 100% certain that they wouldn't win the World Cup with a competent manager let alone the charlatan.

Feel free to vault me Mikey should they actually beat any of them but in fairly confident they won't. I'm almost 100% certain that they wouldn't win the World Cup with a competent manager let alone the charlatan.

To be fair, if he gets to the Quarter Finals and avoids a kicking then he's succeeded with Belgium

Going out any sooner or getting an absolute drubbing against a decent side constitutes failure with them

I don't think he will fail tbh, he's a decent cup manager

He'll get them to the Quarters and go out narrowly I think. That constitutes success with them

Sorry. The most nonsensical thing I've ever heard in my life. Why on earth don't you care about Everton winning more games than they lose? Does that mean you never enjoy wins because they don't amount to winning a trophy?

Oh don't exaggerate.

It's really not that hard. I enjoy wins at the time, other than one or two exceptions I wont be waxing lyrical about them for years though. "Oh remember that season when we came 6th? that was brilliant!" Its not what memories are made of.

It's pretty much modern football for me. Without anything to show at the end of it its all pretty much worthless. Put it this way I would prefer 10 seasons of finishing 10th with a league cup win in there then ten seasons of finishing fifth with nothing won. Even coming close to winning something would be nice.

To be fair, if he gets to the Quarter Finals and avoids a kicking then he's succeeded with Belgium

Going out any sooner or getting an absolute drubbing against a decent side constitutes failure with them

I don't think he will fail tbh, he's a decent cup manager

He'll get them to the Quarters and go out narrowly I think. That constitutes success with them
You seriously think a quarter final would be a success for this Belgium side? Wow.........

To me anything less then a semi-final with that side would be a total failure. Sounds like a familiar story of lowering expectations to make a non-achievement appear like a success. Something that El Fruado is an expert at.

You seriously think a quarter final would be a success for this Belgium side? Wow.........

To me anything less then a semi-final with that side would be a total failure. Sounds like a familiar story of lowering expectations to make a non-achievement appear like a success. Something that El Fruado is an expert at.

I think there are definitely 4 sides better than Belgium, so getting to the Quarters is probably as far as they can get

I think there's at least 3 sides in South America better than them and probably three better in Europe as well

I think there are definitely 4 sides better than Belgium, so getting to the Quarters is probably as far as they can get

I think there's at least 3 sides in South America better than them and probably three better in Europe as well
So you agree they're in the top eight best sides in the world? So why would a quarter-final be a achievement then? That's where they should expect to be. It's not an achievement to meet expectations. If they got to the Semi-finals or beyond It would be a successful campaign, the quarters would be acceptable but not a success and anything less would be a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back