Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
22 wins out of 75 matches in 2 seasons actually mate.
Stiĺl a far cry from him being a good manager.

I mean he has a 40% win record overall but take away that first season and it drops to 34%. Only winning a third of the games is pretty average for anyone who not too long ago comfortably sat 'best of the rest

Stiĺl a far cry from him being a good manager.

I mean he has a 40% win record overall but take away that first season and it drops to 34%. Only winning a third of the games is pretty average for anyone who not too long ago comfortably sat 'best of the rest

That's about as pointless as saying Koeman would have a 100% winning record if you take away the draws and losses.

Fact is his win percentage as Everton's manager is 43%...better than Moyes, Harvey, Lee, Royle, and many others.

Yet some would have you believe he ruined this club.

That's about as pointless as saying Koeman would have a 100% winning record if you take away the draws and losses.

Fact is his win percentage as Everton's manager is 43%...better than Moyes, Harvey, Lee, Royle, and many others.

Yet some would have you believe he ruined this club.

The problem was his 2nd and 3rd season in the league.

22 wins out of 75 gives you a winning rate of 29.33%.

And that's why he was sacked.

The problem was his 2nd and 3rd season in the league.

22 wins out of 75 gives you a winning rate 29.33%.

And that's why he is sacked.

It doesn't take away from the fact that he won games at a higher rate than most of our previous managers.

The point I am trying to get at page after page is that for some reason there is a group of our fans that would have you believe he's the worst manager in the history of the club, and frankly it's simply not true. I don't know why people just can't say he did some good stuff, but at the end of the day he needed to be replaced because the negatives were outweighing the positives.

Smith won 17% of his game for God's sake...now that's woeful.

People don't like having the piss taken out of them and being spoken to as though their idiots. Martinez chatted so much wham so regularly that it became a joke. If he'd just been honest once i a while I probably wouldn't hold it so much against him. I dont get the hate some feel about Moyes when discussing his time here (since he left he left ye fair enough). Going the match was painful for the last two years, I gave him the benefit of the doubt in 14-15 but it got worse rather then better. Had he at least tried to adapt and show some flexibility with his methods and philosophy it wouldn't of been so bad but it became more and more apparent as the weeks went by that he cared more about how we played then our results and I'm afraid that is just cometly unacceptable for me.

It would be a day that would go down in forum history and would possibly wipe out a good portion of the members with perma bans.

There'd have to be a special ceremony so as @davek could receive his crown ;)

I enjoy how poor his signings were after the Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy window. He brought in McGeady, Besic, Eto'o, Galloway, Atsu, Lennon, Henen, Clev, Del, Holgate, Rodriguez, Funes Mori, Tarashaj, Foulds and Niasse. A couple of those (Galloway, Holgate, maybe Foulds) could still come good and Lennon and Funes Mori have done alright but mostly that list is absolute dross

It doesn't take away from the fact that he won games at a higher rate than most of our previous managers.

The point I am trying to get at page after page is that for some reason there is a group of our fans that would have you believe he's the worst manager in the history of the club, and frankly it's simply not true. I don't know why people just can't say he did some good stuff, but at the end of the day he needed to be replaced because the negatives were outweighing the positives.

His first season saved RM from being classed alongside with WS. If you talk about results in the PL era I think Moyes's winning rate is slightly higher than RM. WS and MW were the worst of the bunch. Definitely.

Smith won about 30% overall which was closer to the RM 2nd and 3rd season combined winning rate of 29.33%. If you include his first season RM got 38%.

I enjoy how poor his signings were after the Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy window. He brought in McGeady, Besic, Eto'o, Galloway, Atsu, Lennon, Henen, Clev, Del, Holgate, Rodriguez, Funes Mori, Tarashaj, Foulds and Niasse. A couple of those (Galloway, Holgate, maybe Foulds) could still come good and Lennon and Funes Mori have done alright but mostly that list is absolute dross
You thought those in bold were dross? Pffft! And Atsu was the African Cup player of the tournament. As for Tarashaj, how many times did you see him play to form that opinion?

The truth is Martinez's signings were more hit than miss. And if we're talking misses in the transfer market then throwing £27M down the toilet for Bolasie is off the charts.

Anyway, he doesn't have that problem of buying and selling now. He manages some of the best talent in world football and he'll have the honour of managing them at the WC next summer.

His first season saved RM from being classed alongside with WS. If you talk about results in the PL era I think Moyes's winning rate is slightly higher than RM. WS and MW were the worst of the bunch. Definitely.

Smith won about 30% overall which was closer to the RM 2nd and 3rd season combined winning rate of 29.33%. If you include his first season RM got 38%.

Sorry you're right...it was Walker who won at a blazing 17% clip. Smith was 32%.

RM was 43%...DM 42%.

You thought those in bold were dross? Pffft! And Atsu was the African Cup player of the tournament. As for Tarashaj, how many times did you see him play to form that opinion?

The truth is Martinez's signings were more hit than miss. And if we're talking misses in the transfer market then throwing £27M down the toilet for Bolasie is off the charts.

Anyway, he doesn't have that problem of buying and selling now. He manages some of the best talent in world football and he'll have the honour of managing them at the WC next summer.
Atsu was horrible for Everton, Eto'o scored 4 in 20 for Everton including two against a horrible Burnley side. Tarashaj is maybe one of the ones who could still come good.
As for the other ones you bolded I said Galloway could come good and Funes Mori was alright. Besic maybe isn't dross but he's useless as he never plays. His only hits have been Rom, Barry and McCarthy. Robles, Lennon and Funes Mori if we are being very kind. Everyone else still has a lot to prove or is terrible

Atsu was horrible for Everton, Eto'o scored 4 in 20 for Everton including two against a horrible Burnley side. Tarashaj is maybe one of the ones who could still come good.
As for the other ones you bolded I said Galloway could come good and Funes Mori was alright. Besic maybe isn't dross but he's useless as he never plays. His only hits have been Rom, Barry and McCarthy. Robles, Lennon and Funes Mori if we are being very kind. Everyone else still has a lot to prove or is terrible
I;d say his recruitment policy was as good as any other manager in a league that allows a lot of gambling on players...and in Lukaku he hit the jackpot for us by overseeing the best signing for 40 years.

For me there is no debate: he did very well for us in the market all told.

Martinez was the worst manager we have had in my years of supporting the club.

Ignore the first season, cos quite frankly it wasnt his team.

Once the team was moulded in his image, we saw it.

No other manager has made me not wish to go to Goodison to watch games, not under Walker, Smith, Moyes when we finished 17th did I not look forward to and attend games at Goodison, I hope he suffers, like I did.

I;d say his recruitment policy was as good as any other manager in a league that allows a lot of gambling on players...and in Lukaku he hit the jackpot for us by overseeing the best signing for 40 years.

For me there is no debate: he did very well for us in the market all told.
I enjoy the thought of him having a policy and not just randomly taking pops on players who were available. Can you honestly discern what he was trying to build by looking at who he purchased?

Sorry you're right...it was Walker who won at a blazing 17% clip. Smith was 32%.

RM was 43%...DM 42%.

I read some site saying Moyes was 42 RM was 41.5. They're similar. This is from all competition.

Will be interesting to see only the league winning %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back