Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the thought of him having a policy and not just randomly taking pops on players who were available. Can you honestly discern what he was trying to build by looking at who he purchased?
I think if he had the cash he'd have bought better calibre players who could carry out his instructions.

I have to concede on a point that I resisted a few years back: that Martinez wanted to play like Barcelona without the players to go with it. That is fair comment in retrospect. But at the same time I still applaud the ideology he rekindled here at Everton for a brand of football we talk a great deal about but only now and then produce. The last flowering of it was his first season, and now it's back in the box again until the next bearer of the torch to come along.

I think if he had the cash he'd have bought better calibre players who could carry out his instructions.

I have to concede on a point that I resisted a few years back: that Martinez wanted to play like Barcelona without the players to go with it. That is fair comment in retrospect. But at the same time I still applaud the ideology he rekindled here at Everton for a brand of football we talk a great deal about but only now and then produce. The last flowering of it was his first season, and now it's back in the box again until the next bearer of the torch to come along.
Surely he could have bought people to do that with the budget he had. For example why bring back Lennon after his loan was up instead of going to find someone who was better at keeping the ball. Same with Funes Mori. It just strikes me as buy and hope. And you're right in that doing that with Lukaku is the best move anyone made since buying Kanchelskis

Martinez was the worst manager we have had in my years of supporting the club.

Ignore the first season, cos quite frankly it wasnt his team.

Once the team was moulded in his image, we saw it.

No other manager has made me not wish to go to Goodison to watch games, not under Walker, Smith, Moyes when we finished 17th did I not look forward to and attend games at Goodison, I hope he suffers, like I did.

You simply can't ignore the first season. Well you can if you want, but that's certainly not fair.

Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, Del, Stones, and Barkley all feature heavily in that season. His players or players they he allowed to break out.

He changed our style of play...and even had Distin playing a passing style. I mean I loved me some Distin, but let's be honest...footballing ability wasn't exactly his strength.

Anyway, for me the biggest thing that let Martinez down was the fitness of the players that eroded over time.

As I said earlier in the thread, that should be his biggest lesson learned if he ever manages at the club level again. He can't expect players to manage their own fitness.

I enjoy how poor his signings were after the Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy window. He brought in McGeady, Besic, Eto'o, Galloway, Atsu, Lennon, Henen, Clev, Del, Holgate, Rodriguez, Funes Mori, Tarashaj, Foulds and Niasse. A couple of those (Galloway, Holgate, maybe Foulds) could still come good and Lennon and Funes Mori have done alright but mostly that list is absolute dross
Eto'o was actually a great signing. The problem was he saw right through Martinez, recognised him for the fraud he is and wanted out asap.

That's about as pointless as saying Koeman would have a 100% winning record if you take away the draws and losses.

Fact is his win percentage as Everton's manager is 43%...better than Moyes, Harvey, Lee, Royle, and many others.

Yet some would have you believe he ruined this club.
Because half of the wins came in one year!

He wasn't great when he played here. In theory he would have been tremendous but it just didn't happen
He was only here six months and he played alright imo. He should of had a hattrick at Burnley in which he was outstanding. He never settled but he had loads of quality and it showed. He was never used properly.

Martinez was the worst manager we have had in my years of supporting the club.

Ignore the first season, cos quite frankly it wasnt his team.

Once the team was moulded in his image, we saw it.

No other manager has made me not wish to go to Goodison to watch games, not under Walker, Smith, Moyes when we finished 17th did I not look forward to and attend games at Goodison, I hope he suffers, like I did.

How can you ignore the first season?

Thats like saying if we'd finished 4th n won a cup this season under Koeman, just ignore it as it wasn't his team yet!?

He was only here six months and he played alright imo. He should of had a hattrick at Burnley in which he was outstanding. He never settled but he had loads of quality and it showed. He was never used properly.
The Burnley game is the only game I can remember him doing well tbh. I think his other league goal was in the 6-3 against Chelsea and then he scored in Russia maybe? He was just underwhelming and then he left

But it's genuinely not even relevant because the fact is he made us much, much worse during his time here as a whole. No one's arsed about what happened 3 years ago, in the time that's passed since then he brought nothing but embarrassment and suffering to the fans.

Hahaha. OK.

I quite liked our European tour and Cup runs...dreaming of actually winning something. Which is kinda what it's all about.

Look the point I am getting at is people continually try to overstate how he 'ruined the club'...'worst manager in our history'...etc, etc, when in fact there were plenty of positives. It's the over the top nature of the comments that I take issue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back