Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really don't know what all the debate is about.

He had a great first season, then was uber gash and took us backwards and clearly lost the respect of the players and the fans with the relentless autopilot garbage he spouted which also made him a laughing stock in the press.

This is the same man who took Wigan to a 9-1 defeat and ultimately relegation, something they had been well safe of until they appointed him.

Great, he won a cup with Wigan and got us to 2 semi finals, which in case you need reminding we lost anyway so who gives a toss about semi finalists?, His win with Wigan was no mean feat, but thats cup football for you, you occasionally get the odd shock winner of a cup, so no big deal there.

The football after the first season was at best tepid dross. Worst home record in years, etc etc....can't believe anybody can still be arsed banging on about the first season after the 2 that followed! lol

He had a great first season, then was uber gash and took us backwards and clearly lost the respect of the players and the fans with the relentless autopilot garbage he spouted which also made him a laughing stock in the press.

This is the same man who took Wigan to a 9-1 defeat and ultimately relegation, something they had been well safe of until they appointed him.

Great, he won a cup with Wigan and got us to 2 semi finals, which in case you need reminding we lost anyway so who gives a toss about semi finalists?, His win with Wigan was no mean feat, but thats cup football for you, you occasionally get the odd shock winner of a cup, so no big deal there.

The football after the first season was at best tepid dross. Worst home record in years, etc etc....can't believe anybody can still be arsed banging on about the first season after the 2 that followed! lol
End of debate. :locked:

Plus the Allez oh song was gash.

To use a baseball phrase that's a home run right there.Someone please pick poor Davek up off the floor.lol

The debate is quite simple for me. The over the top and quite common negative descriptions of his time here are false.

Parts of his tenure were 'woeful' as many have said, but the facts are that in terms of his overall performance it was far from that.

He came damn close to all of Moyes' 11 years of achievement in 3 years. It's a fact. He didn't get CL footy or make a cup final.

Beyond those two things he equaled Moyes who was given 11 years and talked us down at every opportunity. Was a negative tit and a coward of a football manager.

He will always have a better win percentage than that coward who so many revere.

So yeah...the debate is simply alive and well as long as folks continue to make out like he 'ruined our club' or 'he was the worst manager in our history'. The facts say quite different.

In summary then :he was a poor manager, at times woefully clueless. But he's not been alone in demonstrating such managerial 'qualities'.

I genuinely do not think there is a single Evertonian who would want him back.

Ok ignore good things, remember bad

Good things was started with a 6th place Moyes team.

Bad things made up 2/3 of his time here and was his last 2 years at the club following by £10m compensation.

He is a massive failure and is just a bit better than Walter Smith if not his first season.

Bad things made up 2/3 of his time here and was his last 2 years at the club following by £10m compensation.

He is a massive failure and is just a bit better than Walter Smith if not his first season.

Ok

The debate is quite simple for me. The over the top and quite common negative descriptions of his time here are false.

Parts of his tenure were 'woeful' as many have said, but the facts are that in terms of his overall performance it was far from that.

He came damn close to all of Moyes' 11 years of achievement in 3 years. It's a fact. He didn't get CL footy or make a cup final.

Beyond those two things he equaled Moyes who was given 11 years and talked us down at every opportunity. Was a negative tit and a coward of a football manager.

He will always have a better win pe rcentage than that coward who so many revere.

So yeah...the debate is simply alive and well as long as folks continue to make out like he 'ruined our club' or 'he was the worst manager in our history'. The facts say quite different.

This in untrue. Moyes won 169 PL games out of 417 = 40.5%.

The clown won 43 PL games out of 113 = 38%.

You may compare the resources which were available to both of the manager and the teams they inherited. Moyes's job back in 2002 was a lot harder.

I love the part where his first season was meaningless. That season where EVERYONE felt a massive breath of fresh air after a decade plus of dour Dave talking down Everton and being a massive coward in the process.

This in untrue. Moyes won 169 PL games out of 417 = 40.5%.

The clown won 43 PL games out of 113 = 38%.

You may compare the resources which were available to both of the manager and the teams they inherited. Moyes's job back in 2002 was a lot harder.

Managers are judged on all competitions.

Moyes 42%...Martinez 43%.

I love the part where his first season was meaningless. That season where EVERYONE felt a massive breath of fresh air after a decade plus of dour Dave talking down Everton and being a massive coward in the process.

Yes the first season was excellent but it was a fluke that's why RM can't sustain it. His bad time is twice the length of the good time so for many posters, this bad memory remains longer.

Managers are judged on all competitions.

Moyes 42%...Martinez 43%.

The problem was the league and caused his job. I was talking about PL league records all along.

I don't court the records playing against some league one sides.

Like I said, you may compare the resources which were available to both of them and the teams they inherited for judgement.

Cannot argue with you there mate. I was initially a Martinez fan. (But as I mentioned in the Rooney thread, my football IQ ain't all that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back