Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done to Martinez

Difficult to go to Greece and get a result, but he managed it

I don't think Belgium will win the World Cup, but they'll get at least as far as the Quarters and will probably smack a couple of weaker sides along the way

He's a good cup manager after all. It's about all he is good at like, but international management seems perfect for his style of management

He'd be wise not to come back to the Premier League after this though. Manage a side like Osasuna or Girona in Spain instead, otherwise he'll undo all his good work

Well done to Martinez

I don't think Belgium will win the World Cup, but they'll get at least as far as the Quarters and will probably smack a couple of weaker sides along the way

He's a good cup manager after all. It's about all he is good at like, but international management seems perfect for his style of management

He'd be wise not to come back to the Premier League after this though. Manage a side like Osasuna or Girona in Spain instead, otherwise he'll undo all his good work

Despite Dave's best efforts to prove otherwise this guy left us in tatters but hey you can't knock him for getting the best out of a world class side that had been under performing before his appointment.

You're post is spot on Mikey.

Well done to Martinez

Belarus, Northern Ireland and Iceland have all recently won in Greece.

Lot's of people have completed Dark Souls

It doesn't make it any less difficult a game

Just some people can "get gud" whilst others can't

Northern Ireland are also second to Germany in their group, so they're hardly a bunch of tomato cans. Ditto for Iceland

If several below average 'gamers' have completed it it might suggest its not as difficult as originally thought.

Faroe Islands beat them not that long ago. Home and away.

If several below average 'gamers' have completed it it might suggest its not as difficult as originally thought.

Faroe Islands beat them not that long ago. Home and away.

Again mate, just because people have beaten them there in the past doesn't mean it's easy to do so

Under Ranieri they were under complete disarray. Any team/nation can have a managerial appointment that doesn't work out and lead to bad results

That doesn't mean they're suddenly easy to beat

Greece are on 13 points and almost won the away leg against Belgium

Playing them away is not easy. It's doable when you have a good squad to work with like Martinez does, but that doesn't mean it will be a walk in the park. You still need to set up well when you play them and be the better team on the day. It's not like San Marino where you can play the reserves and snot them.

Times like Greece can be the undoing for sides. The best example would be when England, Italy and Georgia were all in the same group leading up to France 98. Italy were indisputably the better and stronger side, and even beat England at Wembley. However, England went to Georgia and beat them, where as Italy could only draw. This ultimately meant that England were able to advance despite Italy taking 4 points from them during qualification.

Were Georgia world beaters and a great side? No. Were they a side who could be dangerous at home and take points off better sides? Yes

England won the group because they went into hostile territory and got the win, whilst Italy crumbled in the same scenario

Belgium could have crumbled, but they saw it out and got the 3 points

It was a good result, one that wasn't easy to attain, and Martinez did well to get it

I'm not a Martinez defender, but I'll call a rake a rake if it's warranted, and here it's warranted

I still think Belgium will get beat by the first top side they face like, but Martinez has done well in qualifying. It'd be churlish to deny it

Again mate, just because people have beaten them there in the past doesn't mean it's easy to do so

Under Ranieri they were under complete disarray. Any team/nation can have a managerial appointment that doesn't work out and lead to bad results

That doesn't mean they're suddenly easy to beat

Greece are on 13 points and almost won the away leg against Belgium

Playing them away is not easy. It's doable when you have a good squad to work with like Martinez does, but that doesn't mean it will be a walk in the park. You still need to set up well when you play them and be the better team on the day. It's not like San Marino where you can play the reserves and snot them.

Times like Greece can be the undoing for sides. The best example would be when England, Italy and Georgia were all in the same group leading up to France 98. Italy were indisputably the better and stronger side, and even beat England at Wembley. However, England went to Georgia and beat them, where as Italy could only draw. This ultimately meant that England were able to advance despite Italy taking 4 points from them during qualification.

Were Georgia world beaters and a great side? No. Were they a side who could be dangerous at home and take points off better sides? Yes

England won the group because they went into hostile territory and got the win, whilst Italy crumbled in the same scenario

Belgium could have crumbled, but they saw it out and got the 3 points

It was a good result, one that wasn't easy to attain, and Martinez did well to get it

I'm not a Martinez defender, but I'll call a rake a rake if it's warranted, and here it's warranted

I still think Belgium will get beat by the first top side they face like, but Martinez has done well in qualifying. It'd be churlish to deny it

It's just difficult to use getting a result in Greece as a way of praising a manager or team when so many below average teams have recently done the same.

It's just difficult to use getting a result in Greece as a way of praising a manager or team when so many below average teams have recently done the same.

Put it this way, Burnley have a good home record. If we went there and got a decent 2-1 win, would you think Koeman had done well tactically?

I would. I'd be pleased. I'd give him his props

Worse sides than us have beaten Burnley at Turf Moor, but it's still a tough place to go and getting a result is a job well done

Martinez going to Greece and getting a win is a job well done. It doesn't make him an amazing manager, but it makes him a manager who has done well in the qualification campaign to get the points on the board. No point denying it really, even if I'm not a big fan

Put it this way, Burnley have a good home record. If we went there and got a decent 2-1 win, would you think Koeman had done well tactically?

I would. I'd be pleased. I'd give him his props

Worse sides than us have beaten Burnley at Turf Moor, but it's still a tough place to go and getting a result is a job well done

Martinez going to Greece and getting a win is a job well done. It doesn't make him an amazing manager, but it makes him a manager who has done well in the qualification campaign to get the points on the board. No point denying it really, even if I'm not a big fan

IF Newport, Oldham and Rochdale had recently won at Burnley I wouldn't think it was that great.

You admit Burnley have a good home record. Greece don't. Having lost to Faroe Islands etc.

IF Newport, Oldham and Rochdale had recently won at Burnley I wouldn't think it was that great.

You admit Burnley have a good home record. Greece don't. Having lost to Faroe Islands etc.

Again mate, that was during ECQ when Ranieri was having a mare

Since WCQ started, they hadn't lost a competitive game at home before this one. Bosnia couldn't get anything there for instance, and I think most of us would consider them a decent side. The only iffy result would have been the 0-0 with Estonia, but as France showed last night sometimes you'll play a weaker side and not break them down

Heck, we know all about that ourselves as Evertonians

Their home record during WCQ hasn't been bad at all

9-1 Wigan lost to Spurs.
8-0 to Chelsea is the one for the history books though cos that's where he invented 3-4-3 and saw how well it worked despite the scoreline!!!
How in God's name did anyone fall for his snake oil?

David Moyes got beat 7-0 by Arsenal.

He also got 4th place that season and went on to manage Manchester United.

One or two games does not represent a manager.

Well done to Martinez

Difficult to go to Greece and get a result, but he managed itu

Greece probably should have won that. They had the better and more numerous scoring chances.

I don't think he's a bad manager. No one can really deny he's had his share of successes and yes his share of failures (like most managers). Also his sides are fun to watch when you have nothing invested in the result.

That being said, what Belgium did last night was very Everton-y and they were extremely lucky to scrape away with a victory. Any good side with a half way decent attack/counter could have put 4-5 in on them. Greece constantly caught Belgium's RB/LBs way to far upfield even extremely late in the match when Belgium had the lead. You would think that Possession Bob would have done what say Spain would do with a lead and force Greece to open up with a lead by passing it around and holding possession but they kept on haphazardly throwing guys forward. And while Belgium's CBs are good, you can't expect them to cover back 1/3 of the field for much of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back