Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the way the two SF cup runs are conveniently left out of the equation.
You do realise that even if we included those cup runs in for that season it wouldn't make our away form better then our home form right?

In the FA Cup that season we won two at Goodison vs Dagenham and Redbridge and Chelsea's along with two away victorys at Carlisle and Bournemouth before we lost to Man Utd at Wembley. So its 2-2 on that count.

Then we include the league cup run were we won away at Barnsley, Reading and Middlesbrough along two home victorys againt Norwich and Man City in the first leg before we bottled the second away and crashed out. I'll grant you that 3-2 for away.

However, even if we add those five away and four home cup wins to the pathetic tally of six home and five away league wins it still comes out as 10-10 and that's only if you consider an away win at a lower league side to be the same as a win away againt premier league opposition. Even if you do It's still a blatant lie to pretend that our away form was better then our home form.

Probably his biggest error, amongst many, was thinking Tim Howard was still a premiership goalkeeper - did a lot of damage and pulling the trigger on him should have been made priority #1. Back four was all over the shop as it stood without throwing a dodgy keeper into the mix. Just haemorrhaged morale to lose goals to Howard failing to claim a cross or getting beat from distance.

Stood out a lot at the time because we had this potentially world class spine of Lukaku, Barkley, Stones and then Howard.
He tried to get the defence playing - thinking (probably rightly as the first season proved) that if you keep hold of the ball and work it through the middle then you'll have more success than a back four/GK who just aimlessly punts it. That's why we saw Howard doing a bit of sweeper keepering and distribution and why we had a CB pairing with Stones in there. The players were incapable of carrying the task out, though, so that was a mistake. I felt we got rid of Distin too quickly too. He was a savvy player and had bollocks, unlike Jagielka - the joke captain.

At base: nerve was lost and it all unravelled. The method was and remains sound, however. These are the lessons of the Belgian World Cup campaign.

Lol he didn't win the World Cup with the elite squad no so you lose. It's over.
Failed at Everton, failed with Belgium

A list of Martinez's failures:

Resurrects Swansea Football Club
Hands Wigan their one and only trophy in their history
Oversees Everton's best ever PL season
Coaches Belgium to their best ever international run culminating in their best ever tournament in their 114 year history

Come on lads.

You lot are like that Japanese regiment who's remnants were found on a Pacific island in the 1970s still fighting the Yanks.

It's over. Just throw down your out dated weapons and join the modern world.

A list of Martinez's failures:

Resurrects Swansea Football Club
Hands Wigan their one and only trophy in their history
Oversees Everton's best ever PL season
Coaches Belgium to their best ever international run culminating in their best ever tournament in their 114 year history

Come on lads.

You lot are like that Japanese regiment who's remnants were found on a Pacific island in the 1970s still fighting the Yanks.

It's over. Just throw down your out dated weapons and join the modern world.

All because of great groundwork from Moyes, in fact if Moyes had of stayed just one more season I think he might of got us in the top 4 again that year, not 5th, dont ever forget all Martinez did was improve us by one place, just one

All because of great groundwork from Moyes, in fact if Moyes had of stayed just one more season I think he might of got us in the top 4 again that year, not 5th, dont ever forget all Martinez did was improve us by one place, just one

Yeah, and I suppose he took over a great Wigan team from Bruce and a free-flowing Belgian team from Wilmots. There's always an excuse. None ever convincing.

Lets see where he rocks up at next I guess.
His record underlines that wherever it is it'll be a good appointment.

We'll see then whether the turn to a more direct form of play when in trouble (as he did against Japan) is taken with him into club football. All managers evolve, I suspect Martinez will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back