Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a bit impatient for the fraudulent domehead to return to club management, tbh. It's all very well saying he's got the perfect sinecure with Belgium, but look at it from his perspective - half the wage of the manager of Huddersfield Town, and opportunities to chat wham to a captive audience massively reduced. This last point is critical - the man has a PhD in bolloxology and he's barely getting the opportunity to use it. He has to be dying to get back in the dugout so what is taking him?
Well, if his hand rag Henry can get the Monaco job then that indicates that Roberto can afford to hold out for a bigger club.

Roberto's doing fine. He's just proven himself to be one of the best coaches in world football. Ask Brazil.

No rush getting back into the club management game.

Well, it was seven seasons and the first four were at a club who'd had barely one top half finish before in the top flight...and he handed them a major trophy they'll never ever win again.

The last two seasons here were poor in the PL but good in the cups.

Everywhere he's gone he's broke records for his employers.

Swansea
Wigan
Everton
Belgium.......all experienced a great high under his management. These are facts and cant be denied.
He didn’t win anything nor did he take us higher than Moyes did. I really don’t understand how points in that season are more important to you than league position.

He didn’t win anything nor did he take us higher than Moyes did. I really don’t understand how points in that season are more important to you than league position.
League position gained in a freak season where 61 points get you 4th is to be discounted. The qualifier and the gulf in class between us and a middle ranking Spanish outfit Villareal underlined that.

72 points is a remarkable achieveemnt for a club not spending cash...as we weren't then...and with the players we had. It's the benchmark season as far as I'm concerned. If we want CL football in the futire we need to smash our own points record. THAT is why it's important.

League position gained in a freak season where 61 points get you 4th is to be discounted. The qualifier and the gulf in class between us and a middle ranking Spanish outfit Villareal underlined that.

72 points is a remarkable achieveemnt for a club not spending cash...as we weren't then...and with the players we had. It's the benchmark season as far as I'm concerned. If we want CL football in the futire we need to smash our own points record. THAT is why it's important.
This is my point Dave. Qualifying for a CL place is an achievement. 72 points and 5th isn’t. It’s literally the same as finishing 7th, so who cares.

And if you call 4th for Moyes as something to discount based on a freak season a discount, then how can’t you also discount a top 5 finish for a manager who has otherwise never achieved 50 points or top half in any other season?

Ranieri won the league. That’s an achievement for a side that wasn’t spending. 72 points means literally nothing. And subsequently when he brought his players in, we regressed massively.

Have to say that side was far from middle ranking having just finished third in La Liga behind Barca and Real and then going on to get to the semi finals of the Champions League that season.

The fact that you think Mori isn't better than Jagielka tells me all I need to know. Argentinian CB and winner of the Copa Libertadores played out of position here mostly but still more of a goal threat than most other outfield players, now plying his trade with a top Spanish club

LMAO Dave I guess Villarreal can be whatever you need them to be

LMAO Dave I guess Villarreal can be whatever you need them to be
There's no contradiction.

At the time of the qualifying game in 2005 against Everton they'd historically been middle ranking - in the four seasons prior to their 3rd place CL qualifying place season (in other words the seasons they'd been in the Spanish top flight since being promoted in 2000) they'd finished 7th, 15th, 15th and 8th....poor to bang average La Liga placings; but in the last five seasons before Mori joined them this summer they've finished 6th, 6th, 4th, 5th and 5th...in other words, they are a top Spanish club now.

There's no contradiction.

At the time of the qualifying game in 2005 against Everton they'd historically been middle ranking - in the four seasons prior to their 3rd place CL qualifying place season (in other words the seasons they'd been in the Spanish top flight since being promoted in 2000) they'd finished 7th, 15th, 15th and 8th....poor to bang average La Liga placings; but in the last five seasons before Mori joined them this summer they've finished 6th, 6th, 4th, 5th and 5th...in other words, they are a top Spanish club now.
So if Burnley were to hypothetically finish 6th, 5th, 7th, and 4th in the next 4 years would they suddenly be a top English club? Villarreal are and have always been a decent team capable of the occasional decent season and you are well aware of that as the more recent post shows. You had just forgotten that you needed to big them up to make your point in the past.

But carry on mate. Superb stuff today. Only a real genius could have taken a top 5 team on talent and won a group with Switzerland and Iceland.

So if Burnley were to hypothetically finish 6th, 5th, 7th, and 4th in the next 4 years would they suddenly be a top English club? Villarreal are and have always been a decent team capable of the occasional decent season and you are well aware of that as the more recent post shows. You had just forgotten that you needed to big them up to make your point in the past.

But carry on mate. Superb stuff today. Only a real genius could have taken a top 5 team on talent and won a group with Switzerland and Iceland.
Switzerland and Iceland would both batter Turnip Southgate's divvies.

Oh, and by the way, Belgium are now the FIFA top ranked team in the world as a result of El Magician's tactical masterclasses in the WC -

"FRAUD!!!!"

Lol.

Well, if his hand rag Henry can get the Monaco job then that indicates that Roberto can afford to hold out for a bigger club.

Roberto's doing fine. He's just proven himself to be one of the best coaches in world football. Ask Brazil.

No rush getting back into the club management game.

Would that be Alan he'd probably agree with you Dave.

Switzerland and Iceland would both batter Turnip Southgate's divvies.

Oh, and by the way, Belgium are now the FIFA top ranked team in the world as a result of El Magician's tactical masterclasses in the WC -

"FRAUD!!!!"

Lol.
I'm not English. I don't care about them beyond that they have Pickford in goal and I personally don't rate Southgate. But if that's Roberto's benchmark than congrats on being slightly above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back