Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's right. The School of Science was garbage, and as for the so called Holy Trinity... don't get me started. Dobson, Thomas and Latchford just used to hoof it for Bob to head in, and I never saw us string four passes together in 10 years under that one trick pony Moyes. The only manager we've had who comes close to Bobby's standards was Mike Walker when he had Vinnie Samways spraying the ball around like an embryonic Pirlo.
Ha Ha. The past since and immediately before him.

No, the last 18 months was a procession of teams knowing exactly how we were going to play and a manager who could not adjust his mentality.

The amount of times we lost it in dangerous positions was criminal, if Martinez was a good manager he would have a plan B, a plan C, etc. but he didn't.
Personnel not there to get the football required. Just look at what happens when he does get accomplished players to organise: Belgum's best ever couple of years in their history.

Yeah, that's right. The School of Science was garbage, and as for the so called Holy Trinity... don't get me started. Dobson, Thomas and Latchford just used to hoof it for Bob to head in, and I never saw us string four passes together in 10 years under that one trick pony Moyes. The only manager we've had who comes close to Bobby's standards was Mike Walker when he had Vinnie Samways spraying the ball around like an embryonic Pirlo.
The thread we had on who was the inferior manager, Mike Walker or the Spanish Mike Walker, was high quality. Very illuminating. Opinion was split 50/50 as I recollect but tbf it would take the wisdom of Solomon to separate those two characters. Some thoughful analyses presented on a difficult question.

Personnel not there to get the football required. Just look at what happens when he does get accomplished players to organise: Belgum's best ever couple of years in their history.

Wouldnt a world class coach have the ability to improve footballers though? Or did he think the players he bought in were up to the required quality and would be able to improve the other lads?

Wouldnt a world class coach have the ability to improve footballers though? Or did he think the players he bought in were up to the required quality and would be able to improve the other lads?
Improve them? He taught a squad of players brought up to play direct football and nothing much else how to play football. He handed them technique. They just came to the limit of their abilities, that's all. As everyone points out to Moyes' credit: he shopped at Aldi and got value out of them. Well, there are limits to just how much quality you can get out of those cheaper players.

It'll be fascinating to read RMs biography in a few years time and read how he assessed the capacity of those players to push on from a fine first season. I think he'll conclude that he was massivley mistaken to put so much belief in them to keep progressing. They obvioulsy couldn't, and then there was a rupture between manager and players who simply couldn't deliver the goods. Yes, Martinez didn't help by contiinually buying the same inferior type players apart from a few like Lukaku, but that was Everton under Kenwright. Cupboard bare.

I love how everyone who doesn't think Martinez is the second coming of Jesus is apparently a Moyes fan.
They are, in his black and white world. You either worship and bow the knee to His Holiness St Bob or you are a devil-worshipping Moyes/Koeman/Allardyce loving hoofball worshipper who lost an imaginary war that only exists in his mind. Its fascinating stuff. Great material for an undergraduate psychology student to study I would suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back