Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Silva and Martinez even know each other? And as a Portuguese manager, I'd have thought Silva would be more aware of Mourinho.
Clearly in davek's head Portugal and Spain are like a small village where everyone knows each other and is besties.

Silva is certainly aware of Martinez - everyone is, as he laid down the blueprint of what not to do when gifted a competitive premiership outfit. He presided over the largest drop in fitness of a professional football club ever recorded in the sports science literature, with predictable results, so he's very well-known in the game - as a warning to others.

Clearly in davek's head Portugal and Spain are like a small village where everyone knows each other and is besties.

Silva is certainly aware of Martinez - everyone is, as he laid down the blueprint of what not to do when gifted a competitive premiership outfit. He presided over the largest drop in fitness of a professional football club ever recorded in the sports science literature, with predictable results, so he's very well-known in the game - as a warning to others.
IMG_0865.webp

Ole lol

In fairness to Bobby, he had to deal with a lot of soft tissue injuries which affected our always being in a good moment of our football. And having a couple of bad eggs like Capt Jags and Bainesy constantly spreading dissension in the ranks definitely adversely impacted performance, which despite Brutus 1 and Brutus 2, was still nothing short of phenomenal.
Personally? I've got much to thank Bobby for: were it not for him, I probably would never have heard of Jason Derulo...

Do Silva and Martinez even know each other? And as a Portuguese manager, I'd have thought Silva would be more aware of Mourinho.
Do you think Silva wouldn't have looked at the way Everton have played in the past and not come to the conclusion that the only time they were ever effectively playing football was when Martinez was here?

He is a continuation of the lageacy of ball to feet that Roberto embodied...the School of Science Way.

As said...and I dont want to get into a flame war over this ....but you're side lost the bigger war: the culture war of dragging back the club from an alien hoofball creed. Marco Silva is another stepping stone away from the wrong turn the club made by employing Moyes and a couple of his predecessors. The stepping stones are: Martinez to Silva to Silva's successor. There's no turning back now. The war is over.

Do you think Silva wouldn't have looked at the way Everton have played in the past and not come to the conclusion that the only time they were ever effectively playing football was when Martinez was here?

He is a continuation of the lageacy of ball to feet that Roberto embodied...the School of Science Way.

As said...and I dont want to get into a flame war over this ....but you're side lost the bigger war: the culture war of dragging back the club from an alien hoofball creed. Marco Silva is another stepping stone away from the wrong turn the club made by employing Moyes and a couple of his predecessors. The stepping stones are: Martinez to Silva to Silva's successor. There's no turning back now. The war is over.

The best football I have seen played in my Everton supporting time was when Osman, Arteta & Pienaar were pulling the strings with Cahill & Yakubu on the end of the attacks.

Very rarely was their any 'hoofball' played. In fact it was only really when Fellaini came in that we started to go proper direct and even then it was a more controlled directness to his chest rather than hoofing it up hoping somebody will get on the end of it.

The best football I have seen played in my Everton supporting time was when Osman, Arteta & Pienaar were pulling the strings with Cahill & Yakubu on the end of the attacks. Very rarely was their any 'hoofball' played. In fact it was only really when Fellaini came in that we started to go proper direct and even then it was a more controlled directness to his chest rather than hoofing it up hoping somebody will get on the end of it.

lollollol

Great effort that mate, tbf, but just no.

Ferguson, Cahill, Fellaini...three different teams Moyes made while at Everton had the long diagonal punt downfield to the opposition box (or 5 yards before it) for one of those three to get their head on it and knock it down...to a blue shirt if possible.

That was the hallmark of David Moyes' Everton.

We can argue all day long on that but it wont change the fact that it was hoofball, and everyone outside of the club saw it that way too. We were quite simply known as a long ball, route one team.

Competitive?

lollollol

Great effort that mate, tbf, but just no.

Ferguson, Cahill, Fellaini...three different teams Moyes made while at Everton had the long diagonal punt downfield to the opposition box (or 5 yards before it) for one of those three to get their head on it and knock it down...to a blue shirt if possible.

That was the hallmark of David Moyes' Everton.

We can argue all day long on that but it wont change the fact that it was hoofball, and everyone outside of the club saw it that way too. We were quite simply known as a long ball, route one team.

I was actually just talking about that period with yakubu at top, you make it out that Moyes was a one trick pony and all 10 years was aimless hoofs up the pitch to a big man, which it clearly wasn't, which is a fact as I explained.

Then we have the definition of hoofball which may differ from fan to fan. I see it as aimless punts hoping it may fall in the direction of a target man to flick on or maybe a fast paced striker/winger to latch onto. What we did with Felaini in particular was utilise his height but also his great chest control so get it forward to him early and allow us to play from there.

Hoofball can be easily used in a derogatory way but in reality it is more likely direct balls and with this and with more cultured build up play (especially with h the 3 players I mentioned) we mixed it up fairly well over the course of the 10 years. Hence, the reason why we continuously finished is decent positions. Despite not having the best players in the league we were not easy to play against and work out.

Added to the fact that once Coleman came into his own we had balance as well.

In Martinez's last 2 seasons we were so easy to work out it bordered on the ridiculous at times.

My side? I'm not on anyone's side. My favourite Everton manager is Joe Royle, and I like Silva, and I think Martinez was good for about 1.5 seasons. Was Silva that arsed about us when Martinez was here? Martinez looked up to Cruyff but I've never heard Silva cite Martinez as an inspiration.

Benitez is Spanish, as is former Watford manager Quique Sanchez Flores, I guess they must be BFFs with Silva too lol

I thought we played turgid football under Bobby for 2/3rds of his tenure. I seem to recall our back 4 spending most of the time simply passing it back and forth to each other...it was zzzzzzzzzzzz inspiring. Of course I appreciate Bobby was labouring under the Machiavellian schemings of Capt Jags and Bainesy, and I enjoyed 'the year of 72'; but overall, I thought Bobby was, at best, an ordinary manager.

I thought we played turgid football under Bobby for 2/3rds of his tenure. I seem to recall our back 4 spending most of the time simply passing it back and forth to each other...it was zzzzzzzzzzzz inspiring. Of course I appreciate Bobby was labouring under the Machiavellian schemings of Capt Jags and Bainesy, and I enjoyed 'the year of 72'; but overall, I thought Bobby was, at best, an ordinary manager.

Prepare yourself for incoming anytime soon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back