Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Silva wouldn't have looked at the way Everton have played in the past and not come to the conclusion that the only time they were ever effectively playing football was when Martinez was here?

Yeah, that's right. The School of Science was garbage, and as for the so called Holy Trinity... don't get me started. Dobson, Thomas and Latchford just used to hoof it for Bob to head in, and I never saw us string four passes together in 10 years under that one trick pony Moyes. The only manager we've had who comes close to Bobby's standards was Mike Walker when he had Vinnie Samways spraying the ball around like an embryonic Pirlo.

I was actually just talking about that period with yakubu at top, you make it out that Moyes was a one trick pony and all 10 years was aimless hoofs up the pitch to a big man, which it clearly wasn't, which is a fact as I explained.
I said it was the hallmark of the Moyes era (which it was).
Then we have the definition of hoofball which may differ from fan to fan. I see it as aimless punts hoping it may fall in the direction of a target man to flick on or maybe a fast paced striker/winger to latch onto. What we did with Felaini in particular was utilise his height but also his great chest control so get it forward to him early and allow us to play from there.
A hoof is a hoof is a hoof. But it was the volume of hoof to passing on the ground that made the Moyes style hoofball.
Hoofball can be easily used in a derogatory way but in reality it is more likely direct balls and with this and with more cultured build up play (especially with h the 3 players I mentioned) we mixed it up fairly well over the course of the 10 years. Hence, the reason why we continuously finished is decent positions. Despite not having the best players in the league we were not easy to play against and work out.

Added to the fact that once Coleman came into his own we had balance as well.

In Martinez's last 2 seasons we were so easy to work out it bordered on the ridiculous at times.
We had the Baines/Pienaar outlet for the final few seasons he was here. It was a relief to see it deployed. But overall the Moyes era was the era of the hoof.

I thought we played turgid football under Bobby for 2/3rds of his tenure. I seem to recall our back 4 spending most of the time simply passing it back and forth to each other...it was zzzzzzzzzzzz inspiring. Of course I appreciate Bobby was labouring under the Machiavellian schemings of Capt Jags and Bainesy, and I enjoyed 'the year of 72'; but overall, I thought Bobby was, at best, an ordinary manager.
Yep there was no swashbuckling counter attacking football, just 2 centre halfs passing between each other until one of them lost it and we conceded a goal. More turgid than anything Moyes or Koeman could muster. The most boring football I've ever witnessed.

3 seasons:

Best ever PL points total
Most wins in a PL season
Last 16 EL
SF FA Cup
SF
Pros easily outweigh the cons.
So he won sod all but we are meant to celebrate him. That’s what the RS do with Klippety. If we are going to mimic them then maybe we should congratulate him for the ‘Most pointless, sideways passes in a Premiership season’ trophy.

Yep there was no swashbuckling counter attacking football, just 2 centre halfs passing between each other until one of them lost it and we conceded a goal. More turgid than anything Moyes or Koeman could muster. The most boring football I've ever witnessed.
The passing between the two CBs and across the back four was at home when opponents learned the lesson of Martinez's first season and sat back to allow little room in their own half. The over circulation of the ball was a sign that we really didn't have the players with the control and movement of the ball or technical ability to pass forward with precision to oumanouvre that spoiling tactic.

Basically the last 18 months of Martinez's reign revealed the flaw in his belief that the useless gets he inherited from Moyes really weren't up to the task of possesion-based football (he just plaited sawdust with that lot in the first 18 months here). Even so, that last 18 months were still marked by a lot of impressive away games where we sprung pacy counter attacking on teams that came out and pushed up.

So he won sod all but we are meant to celebrate him. That’s what the RS do with Klippety. If we are going to mimic them then maybe we should congratulate him for the ‘Most pointless, sideways passes in a Premiership season’ trophy.
No. You're meant to acknowledge the results he did get and the quality of football he played here and his all round CV with other clubs/Belgium. And if you can do that then you dont fall into the trap of looking like a complete 'kin spanner who cant put aside personal animosity to recognise a good coach.

The passing between the two CBs and across the back four was at home when opponents learned the lesson of Martinez's first season and sat back to allow little room in their own half. The over circulation of the ball was a sign that we really didn't have the players with the control and movement of the ball or technical ability to pass forward with precision to oumanouvre that spoiling tactic.

Basically the last 18 months of Martinez's reign revealed the flaw in his belief that the useless gets he inherited from Moyes really weren't up to the task of possesion-based football (he just plaited sawdust with that lot in the first 18 months here). Even so, that last 18 months were still marked by a lot of impressive away games where we sprung pacy counter attacking on teams that came out and pushed up.

I agree he was clueless Dave.

No. You're meant to acknowledge the results he did get and the quality of football he played here and his all round CV with other clubs/Belgium. And if you can do that then you dont fall into the trap of looking like a complete 'kin spanner who cant put aside personal animosity to recognise a good coach.
When I grow up I hope that I’m always right like you.

No, the last 18 months was a procession of teams knowing exactly how we were going to play and a manager who could not adjust his mentality.

The amount of times we lost it in dangerous positions was criminal, if Martinez was a good manager he would have a plan B, a plan C, etc. but he didn't.

I would love this bloke to one day get the Real job. The white hankies would be out by Christmas lollollol
Just like they were at Belgium? Oh how we all laughed when that happened....hold on....

Save your laughing for your hero Moyes who inherited the champions of England and turned them into the Dog & Duck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back