Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't a good manager just have a crack at it? Work with immensely takented players. You manage a world cup winning squad- you're in football folklore forever. Not as if half a mill is buttons.
The big issue for me would be you basically are putting your job on the line once every two years in an insanely short term tournament where one dumb mistake can ruin things even if you have done everything right. Plus as hard as it is to win things at club level, there is even less to win in international competition. Also you have things like the limits of the player pool and limited time to put tactics in that I'd imagine most managers at the top level view as negatives that prevent them from doing what they want.

TBF, I dont think we can start carping about how bad individuals like that are when we've won the square root of f.a. for 23 years.
So you think they're good managers then? Or at least good enough to of managed Everton? Ok mes ami..

The big issue for me would be you basically are putting your job on the line once every two years in an insanely short term tournament where one dumb mistake can ruin things even if you have done everything right. Plus as hard as it is to win things at club level, there is even less to win in international competition. Also you have things like the limits of the player pool and limited time to put tactics in that I'd imagine most managers at the top level view as negatives that prevent them from doing what they want.
Someone like Wenger, could have a crack and not ruin his rep. If it's so hard, it's also hard for your oppo manager surely?

So you think they're good managers then? Or at least good enough to of managed Everton? Ok mes ami..
No. I'm merely providing a rebuttal to the belief that winning the FA Cup means nothing. The fact that it's been won by top coaches in England in all but two of the past quarter of a century's worth of winners seems to have escaped its detractors notice....

Someone like Wenger, could have a crack and not ruin his rep. If it's so hard, it's also hard for your oppo manager surely?
It would be but the lack of control I think turns managers off. If Everton don't have a left back they go buy one. If Belgium don't they play Nacer Chadli there. It's that kind of thing that someone like Wenger might not be excited about.

Why wouldn't a good manager just have a crack at it? Work with immensely takented players. You manage a world cup winning squad- you're in football folklore forever. Not as if half a mill is buttons.

Half a million is nice town house in a provincial city - a tidy some but its not going to give you a longterm millionaire lifestyle. You cock it up and you might not get another top job again.

The only reason an A-list manager would take a massive paycut and go and manage Belgium is if they themselves were Belgian. Let's face it, if there was an English coach who was seriously good then people would be taking to the streets demanding they manage the English national side. Even then there are plenty of heavyweight managers who have swerved the poison chalice of national management.

As that person (Top drawer Belgian coach) doesn't exist AFAIK, they're stuck shopping at sports direct and have a two-trackies-for-a-tenner manager as a consequence. An alternative is they do like you say and manage to work an elder-statesman of the game into the role, maybe mentoring a younger guy. But would someone like Wenger get involved with that? Even with Belgium being half-French that seems a long shot - when he can swan around the globe making millions consulting with the likes of the Chinese FA on football strategy.

It's quite possible that the likes of Mourinho and Guardiola could go into international management, but only when they've finished with, or fancy a break from club management. I think we can all agree that Martinez, whatever we think of his abilities, or lack of them, genuinely loves football, as do most managers at any level - hence their need to stay in the game. For someone like Mourinho, the Portugal job would be like semi-retirement.

International management is a part-time job with a couple of games against often inadequate opposition and then nothing for weeks, even months, whereas with a club side it's a game every week and training every day. A number of international managers have said how much they miss this activity and I suspect that Roberto does too - Koeman might be an exception to this, having lots more time to get his golf handicap down.

Our Belgian correspondent, @Armel , has informed us that Roberto has taken on extra responsibilities as technical director, and he does a lot of PR work for them, something he is actually very good at. As well as PR, his other great gift has always been looking after Roberto Martinez and If the right offer came in I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to return to club management, especially if he detects a potential downturn in Belgium's fortunes - a lot could depend on whether they get another easy qualifying group for the European Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back