Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Martinez's worst decisions was signing Funes Mori over Van Dijk

We had a very small window of opportunity to get that done and he went for Funes Mori instead
It was never confirmed we were in for Van Dijk. The criticism shouldn't be that he chose Mori over Van Dijk, but that he should have moved for him when he was available.

It was never confirmed we were in for Van Dijk. The criticism shouldn't be that he chose Mori over Van Dijk, but that he should have moved for him when he was available.

Probably true this. It wasn’t a Mori or Van Dijk thing.

It was a we should have moved for Van Dijk thing.

This...but maybe not for the same reasons?

I love how people act like buying a footballer is like nipping to Asda to buy a pot noodle.

Hmmm, do I want the Funes Mori or the Van Dijk? It is not as simple as just picking one.

I never suggested it was like that

I was merely pointing out that he had an opportunity to pursue Van Dijk but went after Funes Mori instead

It wasn't even like he went after Van Dijk, got turned down, and then got Funes Mori instead

Funes Mori was the first choice

This...but maybe not for the same reasons?

I love how people act like buying a footballer is like nipping to Asda to buy a pot noodle.

Hmmm, do I want the Funes Mori or the Van Dijk? It is not as simple as just picking one.
Of course, because if it was that simple there is absolutely no chance we'd end up with Funes Mori.

Probably true this. It wasn’t a Mori or Van Dijk thing.

It was a we should have moved for Van Dijk thing.
....and let's be honest, apart from a handful of people on here who rated Van Dijk, the majority view was that he was "ropey at defending, from the SPL and, therefore, rubbish'.

....and let's be honest, apart from a handful of people on here who rated Van Dijk, the majority view was that he was "ropey at defending, from the SPL and, therefore, rubbish'.

Oh I remember that sentiment well Dave, I had to get it in the neck from the anti-Van Dijk brigade every day of that transfer window

The point stands that Bobby should have gone for him though, the same way we may go on to rue Silva not paying Celtic what they wanted for Tierney

Oh I remember that sentiment well Dave, I had to get it in the neck from the anti-Van Dijk brigade every day of that transfer window

The point stands that Bobby should have gone for him though, the same way we may go on to rue Silva not paying Celtic what they wanted for Tierney
what about the other 19 managers in the league? Always seems a bit odd criticizing for not signing specific players, I think we all know its not that simple.

This all being said of course, if other things hadn't gone wrong you could have forgiven Martinez for not getting Van Dijk

It was just the cherry on top of the cake at the end of the day

I personally thought quite a few of his signings were decent, with Lukaku, McCarthy and Barry probably being the three best

Alcaraz was inexcusable though

Job for the boys if there ever was one, which Koeman then seemingly went on to match with Martina

At least Silva doesn't appear to have signed someone rubbish just to give them a pay day yet (Although he does like Troy Deeney and we will be looking for a striker...)

Not all of those clubs were linked with him, we were

Plus, he was perfect for us at that time

He was a bear with big paws who needed a foot into English football before making it at one of the top six
I honestly don't see what that adds, Southampton were the biggest club that went for him so plenty of teams missed out, that's just the way it goes sometimes. Critique a transfer policy by all means, but isolating it to single players who we and plenty of others didn't sign doesn't make a lot of sense to me

It surprised me that there was (as far as we know) no concerted effort made by RM to get Van Dijk. Other managers in the PL might have been put off by the SPL connection, but he knew that league and that sometimes one comes through it (He signed McCarthy, for example).

It might well be that he thought the better of bringing in an obvious leader and replacing Jagielka. Funes Mori was easier to integrate in that respect - he was young and there to slot in. One of my bugbears with RM was that he deferred to dressing room seniority to a point where he let control - and his 'project'- slip.

Why not?

Funes Mori was far more in line with what Martinez would like from a player than Van Dijk was
Maybe, and there was no way Martinez would no how well Van Dijk would adapt. Its like bemoaning the fact we didn't sign Manolas all them years ago, who's to say he would've turned out like he is now and not another Shane Duffy. (ie. not a superstar nothing against Duffy).

I never suggested it was like that

I was merely pointing out that he had an opportunity to pursue Van Dijk but went after Funes Mori instead

It wasn't even like he went after Van Dijk, got turned down, and then got Funes Mori instead

Funes Mori was the first choice

But that still treats footballers like its a shop. Maybe he didn't have an opportunity to pursue him? Maybe he would not have wanted to come here, maybe these questions had been asked, maybe Celtic didn't want to deal with us and yeah maybe he was never in the equation, who knows?

Anyway Van Dijk is a bellend, he still would have wanted to go to the other lot and would have screwed us over instead of Southampton to do so so in truth we owe a debt of gratitude to Mr Martinez for not subjecting us to that.

What a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back