Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a matter of holding up the score card of things achieved versus failures. It's not a massive success story, but equally it's not a massive failure.

Some people cant accept grey areas. It's zero sum: either fantastic or rubbish.

It makes no sense to me. Whatsmore, his time before and after Everton underlines just what a good caoch the feller is.

I dont get the dwindling band of refuseniks who cant accept all that. I never will.

I think Moyes' last season and Roberto's first were the two I remember most fondly in my time as an Everton fan. Hopefully Silva can outdo both, though Koeman's reign has put him on about ten back feet

Best football played since the 80s
Highest number of wins in a season since the 80s
Highest points total since the 80s
FA Cup SF spot
LC SF spot

...in three seasons.

Finance-wise:

Three season here:

£97M spent on players
£125M cash brought in from sale of Martinez players (thus far with more to come)
= Martinez player transactions net gain of £28M.

Read it and weep.

Dave I hope you don’t include Stones who was bought by David Moyes there.

Koeman and Martinez were both rubbish in their own ways

Martinez wins though because he was at least a likable personality, where as Koeman was a glum fat headed bore
giphy.gif

Dave mate 6 months to go till 2020 and Martinez left us with McCarthy, Niasse, Besic, Tarashaj, Garbutt and Galloway (gone, just). He gave Mirallas a new deal too. The damage is still visible.

The McCarthy shout is just stupid. He broke his leg! You can't account for stuff like that.

In fact the whole shout is a bit off really. Different players can do better under different managers. Galloway actually did well under Martinez, I think we all agree there, Besic also got some nasty injuries, He never got the chance to work with Tarashaj (Who is just one of those deals that didn't work out, at the time it was deemed a shrewd signing), Mirallas was given a deal after Martinez left.

The damage is still visible because you want it to be visible because you have an agenda. Stop acting like he is the only manager ever to have made signings who remain after the manager has left. Every club has that.

Come on Dave lets be sensible here. Neither Martinez or Koeman "destroyed" us. At worst you could make a case that either/both set us back a few years but destroyed?! Come on mate, we're in the exact same postion that we've been in for the best of twenty years.......

This is true. Every manager since Royle has been crap because we have won nothing. Doesn't seem to matter if we have a "good" or "bad" season, there only ever seems to be a couple of league positions in it. It's pretty boring really.

Koeman and Martinez were both rubbish in their own ways

Martinez wins though because he was at least a likable personality, where as Koeman was a glum fat headed bore
For me it was likeable to a degree, his mindless positivity did make me throw up in my mouth a few times and that was when we were doing well!
It was like him and Rogers were trying to out do each other.

Plus when we got crap he’d try and infer performances that made fans leave early in droves were actually really positive and tried to make out we’d played well.

I think Moyes' last season and Roberto's first were the two I remember most fondly in my time as an Everton fan. Hopefully Silva can outdo both, though Koeman's reign has put him on about ten back feet

06-09 was the pinnacle for our generation. Genuinely boss little team assembled on peanuts, cup semis and finals, European runs, even derby wins. Lescott leaving was the beginning of the end for Moyes.

The man singlehandedly destroyed the top 7 base of consistency that Moyes had created for us. In Moyes’ last two seasons he had to completely revamp the team from the depths of the 09 cruciate ligament crises and the subsequent sales of Arteta Lescott and Yakubu. He did this absolutely brilliantly bringing in Jelavic Naismith Mirallas Gibson Oviedo and Pienaar returning. He also started Barkley off and had just bought in Stones. In our last two seasons we finished ahead of Liverpool twice and would have been back in Europe if not for freak cup wins of Swansea and Wigan. The squad was full of strong experienced players like Jags Baines Coleman Heitinga Distin Fellaini Gibson Naismith Jelavic Osman Pienaar.

In the space of three seasons Martinez dismantled this with no logic whatsoever and left us with what I could only describe as a dads and lads squad of kids and geriatrics completely short of any kind of playmaking ability or pace. Creative talents such as Osman and Pienaar who had shone in Martinez’s first season were practically retired for the likes of Cleverley, Kone, Etoo, Deulofeu, Lennon or maybe any of Garbutt Besic Barkley Naismith Lukaku or whoever else he could shoehorn into a wide position (until relegation worries kicked in in 14/15 and he had to turn back to Osman to rescue us).

The football in 14/15 and 15/16 was some of the most turgid seen in the premier league by us (although Koeman showed we could sink even lower).

If Koeman well and truly cooked our Goose then Martinez went and prepared it for him. The two architects of our downfall. Two utter clowns who are a stain on the club. It is a testament to the work Moyes did at the club that neither of these fools were able to relegate us. That the likes of Osman Baines Coleman Jags Naismith kept the boat afloat at times when it looked as though we were going to completely capsize. That the academy Moyes developed chucked out a few decent kids to help us along through a few rough patches. That he gifted Stones and Barkley to Martinez.

If Roberto Martinez had walked through the door in 2002 instead of David Moyes we’d either be liquidated or in the conference now. The man is a snake oil salesman who could not manage his way out of a paper bag. He actually had the good fortune to stumble across a winning formula in 13/14: play my inept football in front of the solid defence I’ve been left, keep the scores level, then bring on the better players that I’ve benched to win the game. Yet was so stupid he then went and deviated from that in the two seasons after. Who can forget the two worst derby performances of our premier league history under him also.

No matter how bad things may seem at any point under Silva we are now leagues ahead of where we were in 14/15, 15/16, and 17/18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back