Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see they're getting the results under him.

However, in the only team they've played of real note, they were beaten easily and they resembled us in the latter part of last season (I'm talking April time as well...)

Still wish him the best

(A moved response to a post from the Everton Only forum's Funes Mori thread)

you pay the bills at Everton do you? And best mates with bobby?

I know we pay players wages...

So you don't think that bobby cost us money? And made nearly 100m profit for Everton?

Your telling me that he didn't waste money?

Please explain how niasse ( who has never and will never play a single game for us) mgeady, hibbert and osman contract extensions, Kone , refusing to play mirrallas ( obviously he's costing money during this time) , losing the dressing room ( costing us league placings) and the 10m pay Off didn't cost us money( which didn't happen apparently) I'm not sure how you know that... but I read it everywhere so unless I missed something Im going to continue to assume what I read did actually happen. niasse wasn't bobbys decision? Your "not having that" well you "having it "or not is pretty irrelevent isn't it? It either it was or it wasn't .. but if you think a manager , that is on the verge of losing his job , would allow someone that crap to be signed knowing if he flopped he would lose his job then actually allowed him to come in without it being his choice ... then he is even more of an idiot than I thought. ( unless maybe he had an iron clad contract that paid him millions if he was sacked) I believe it was his choice... one of the few things bill is good at is giving the manager control of team affairs. Cleverly was a "free" no such thing mate... just means we paid less than we would if we singed him from a club... still gets massive signing on fee.

He wasted money (what manager doesn't? Moyes: Davies, Beattie, Kroldrup, Bilyaletdinov...) and he made us money. The latter outweighed the former.

The contract extension to Osman was from Moyes as a parting gift.

He had a net spend which was better than Moyes, but way, way behind those other teams we were supposed to compete with for top 6. He left with a lot of the first team that he inherited from Moyes still in place (Baines, Jagielka, Coleman, Howard, Mirallas) and he added real quality by buying Lukaku and McCarthy and Barry and Galloway and Deulofeu and Mori. He also brought through to be seasoned internationals lads like Barkley and Stones who'd have been loaned out for two seasons more under Moyes and thereby put a valuation of about £90M on the pair of them if they were to be sold (one has already, of course).

The purchase of Lukaku and his potential sale of around (conservative figure) £60M and the sale of Barkley and Stones alone (as said, circa £90M) justify the claim that Martinez overall didn't waste money overall. And if you sold the likes of McCarthy, Funes Mori, Deulofeu that'd fetch another (minimum) £60M. That'd be a total of well over £200M from those six players alone.

He inherited a Dad's Army of a team with almost nothing worth selling other than Fellaini and he handed his successor a lot of players who can provide him with a transfer fund for the next few summers...one of whom he's already had to cash in on.

He wasted money (what manager doesn't? Moyes: Davies, Beattie, Kroldrup, Bilyaletdinov...) and he made us money. The latter outweighed the former.

He had a net spend which was better than Moyes, but way, way behind those other teams we were supposed to compete with for top 6. He left with a lot of the first team that he inherited from Moyes still in place (Baines, Jagielka, Coleman, Howard, Mirallas) and he added real quality by buying Lukaku and McCarthy and Barry and Galloway and Deulofeu and Mori. He also brought through to be seasoned internationals lads like Barkley and Stones who'd have been loaned out for two seasons more under Moyes and thereby put a valuation of about £90M on the pair of them if they were to be sold (one has already, of course).

The purchase of Lukaku and his potential sale of around (conservative figure) £60M and the sale of Barkley and Stones alone (as said, circa £90M) justify the claim that Martinez overall didn't waste money overall. And if you sold the likes of McCarthy, Funes Mori, Deulofeu that'd fetch another (minimum) £60M. That'd be a total of well over £200M from those six players alone.

He inherited a Dad's Army of a team with almost nothing worth selling other than Fellaini and he handed his successor a lot of players who can provide him with a transfer fund for the next few summers...one of whom he's already had to cash in on.

Comparing figures to Moyes time isn't a fair test.... ibe is a 15m player and bolasie 28m. Also who is going to pay 40m for barkley? He may have been loaned out... but bobby is the main reason ross hasn't progressed... so don't tell me he turned him into a seasoned international.. and neither of them two played a minute at the euros.
And your giving bobby credit for stones ... he's a Moyes signing

To be fair to Moyes (and I'm not shy of criticising his bottling & dourness and the like) I do remember us being after Lukaku when he was about 16, he'd be a 2 goal a season striker or plying his trade in the spanish second division or a league of similar quality ... playing for Aberdeen or someone now if he had got hold of him back then though.

To be fair to Moyes (and I'm not shy of criticising his bottling & dourness and the like) I do remember us being after Lukaku when he was about 16, he'd be a 2 goal a season striker or plying his trade in the spanish second division or a league of similar quality ... playing for Aberdeen or someone now if he had got hold of him back then though.
...he'd have played him down the channels and wasted and sickened him like he did every other attacker he brought in!

...he'd have played him down the channels and wasted and sickened him like he did every other attacker he brought in!

Appreciate your point of view mate and as a bloke I liked Roberto. But I've never seen our team so pathetic during his final run. I remember bad defeats from years back and they still hurt but Roberto kindly left us with a run of them. Whatever his and Moyes credentials, Moyes never did and never would of had us in that state. I'm sure international football will suit Roberto but when it came to the Premiership, he was absolutely clueless.

Appreciate your point of view mate and as a bloke I liked Roberto. But I've never seen our team so pathetic during his final run. I remember bad defeats from years back and they still hurt but Roberto kindly left us with a run of them. Whatever his and Moyes credentials, Moyes never did and never would of had us in that state. I'm sure international football will suit Roberto but when it came to the Premiership, he was absolutely clueless.

That's just perception. Here's the stats/facts:

Martinez had two terrible runs in his last two seasons with a 1 win in 12 games stretch in his second season, and a 1 win in 10 stretch in season three.

Moyes though had 1 win in 10 stretch in season 2003/04, and 1 win in 9 stretch in season 2005/06.

The worst losing sequences happened under Moyes: he lost 7 of our opening 8 games in 2005/06, and in 2007/08 he lost 10 of our last 18 games.

Martinez's worst losing sequence was 6 losses in 8 games in 2014/15 and 5 losses in 8 in season 2015/16.

As for Martinez being clueless in the PL, I wait with expectation our present and future managers crashing through his season record from 2013/14. When that happens the talk of 'cluelessness' in the PL management stakes might be taken a bit more seriously.

That's just perception. Here's the stats/facts:

Martinez had two terrible runs in his last two seasons with a 1 win in 12 games stretch in his second season, and a 1 win in 10 stretch in season three.

Moyes though had 1 win in 10 stretch in season 2003/04, and 1 win in 9 stretch in season 2005/06.

The worst losing sequences happened under Moyes: he lost 7 of our opening 8 games in 2005/06, and in 2007/08 he lost 10 of our last 18 games.

Martinez's worst losing sequence was 6 losses in 8 games in 2014/15 and 5 losses in 8 in season 2015/16.

As for Martinez being clueless in the PL, I wait with expectation our present and future managers crashing through his season record from 2013/14. When that happens the talk of 'cluelessness' in the PL management stakes might be taken a bit more seriously.

Martinez has taken two Premier League clubs backwards, one so far that he relegated them. That points towards him being clueless in the PL. Alan Pardew fluked a 5th place finish with Newcastle once, people aren't still banging on about that to suggest he's a top manager.

Still pissing myself at this.

Saw him on the telly covering his mouth talking to Thierry Henry watching a game on the stands.

THIERRY HENRY...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back