Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all coming out now.

That's sickening, tbh.

A man who loved the club and completely got it
(wish we had one now) and gave his level best - which was easily enough for one season and not good enough for the other two - and you 'hate' and 'despise' him.

That says more about you than him, tbh.

He really reeled you in with that didn't he. Hook, line and sinker.

It's all coming out now.

That's sickening, tbh.

A man who loved the club and completely got it (wish we had one now) and gave his level best - which was easily enough for one season and not good enough for the other two - and you 'hate' and 'despise' him.

That says more about you than him, tbh.

Put the crack pipe down

I hope the man fails at the earliest opportunity

For me i am probably in mixed feelings about the man.

on one side i wan t to see him succeed because he genuinely tried to do well here, and without wishing ill on him, be nice to see him finally achieve what he wanted to do somewhere.

On the other side, it is hard to have affection for a man who so stubbornly refused to change anything even when he knew it was costing him his job, and essentially cost us a trophy or two in the end.

For me i am probably in mixed feelings about the man.

on one side i wan t to see him succeed because he genuinely tried to do well here, and without wishing ill on him, be nice to see him finally achieve what he wanted to do somewhere.

On the other side, it is hard to have affection for a man who so stubbornly refused to change anything even when he knew it was costing him his job, and essentially cost us a trophy or two in the end.

I think every manager tries to do well ash, otherwise they're in the wrong game. He was a fantastic salesman who sold the "everything is fine" outlook when the world around him was crumbling, Mr positivity was a complete used car salesman. That was proven when we were actually outplayed by a poor hull side and he had the cheek to say "we are almost were we want be as a team", it was a massive middle finger to the thousands who made the journey on that woeful winter night.

His entire outlook on football is flawed, everyone wants to play beautiful football but when you're filling the squad with Kone, alacarez, McGeady, Cleverly, Niasse and to top it off now discovering we were almost lumbered with elmohamady, it's further proof that he was the typical used car salesman.

Some bought that car and instead of trading it in for scrap are still holding onto the belief that it'll get them to the final destination

I think every manager tries to do well ash, otherwise they're in the wrong game. He was a fantastic salesman who sold the "everything is fine" outlook when the world around him was crumbling, Mr positivity was a complete used car salesman. That was proven when we were actually outplayed by a poor hull side and he had the cheek to say "we are almost were we want be as a team", it was a massive middle finger to the thousands who made the journey on that woeful winter night.

His entire outlook on football is flawed, everyone wants to play beautiful football but when you're filling the squad with Kone, alacarez, McGeady, Cleverly, Niasse and to top it off now discovering we were almost lumbered with elmohamady, it's further proof that he was the typical used car salesman.

Some bought that car and instead of trading it in for scrap are still holding onto the belief that it'll get them to the final destination
I think Martinez's biggest flaw is that he has an idea and nothing else.

He is verty comparable to the likes of wenger and Guadiola in the sense they have a philosphy as well, they have a style and stick to it to get results. Martinez too, plays the same way and doesn't falter from it. However the biggest problem he causes himself is that it ends up being that, just the idea. he doesn't work on it, he doesn't evolve or develop, he just hopes next time it will work the way he wanted and relies on the players to 'do their job' to cover the gaps.

When you factor in him signing players that didn't fit his own system, not putting this style through the club ala Barcelona type clubs do, and refusing to change even when it isn't working, you can see where he goes wrong once you put him at the top level.

the difference between him and the others is that they work on the problems. Wenger signs bruising centre halves to compliment his fancy flair attackers. Granted he is a bit crap at spotting them but theoretically that is his aim. Pep will go as far as signing a new goalkeeper simply to implement his style and drills it through the clubs he manages. Martinez literally signed some players he always rated before and when left to find a completely new one he ended up with niasse!

I think Martinez's biggest flaw is that he has an idea and nothing else.

He is verty comparable to the likes of wenger and Guadiola in the sense they have a philosphy as well, they have a style and stick to it to get results. Martinez too, plays the same way and doesn't falter from it. However the biggest problem he causes himself is that it ends up being that, just the idea. he doesn't work on it, he doesn't evolve or develop, he just hopes next time it will work the way he wanted and relies on the players to 'do their job' to cover the gaps.

When you factor in him signing players that didn't fit his own system, not putting this style through the club ala Barcelona type clubs do, and refusing to change even when it isn't working, you can see where he goes wrong once you put him at the top level.

the difference between him and the others is that they work on the problems. Wenger signs bruising centre halves to compliment his fancy flair attackers. Granted he is a bit crap at spotting them but theoretically that is his aim. Pep will go as far as signing a new goalkeeper simply to implement his style and drills it through the clubs he manages. Martinez literally signed some players he always rated before and when left to find a completely new one he ended up with niasse!

His biggest problem is his himself Ash.

He's deluded and inflexible with his outmoded coaching.

The game is passing him by, China beckons,

Look I'm not a Martinez fan or such, but I also believe he is a good enough coach. He is just completely useless in buying players. He would do better in the continental system; where the manager just coaches and somebody else buys the players - technical director or such.

I agree with @Ashtonian he has a clear idea. A bit inflexible though; sometimes tries to play his kind of game with players who don't have the quality for it.

I also believe nobody can deny, that at least he tried to play offensive football. Nowadays it's boring. For me it's sometimes more fun to lose or draw but see 8 goals.

His interviews have changed a bit to my surprise. He criticizes players after the match. Less phenomenal - thank god for this.

The one thing that landed him some stick with the Belgian press was the fact that doesn't communicate clearly. The Naingollan-saga. First he told the press that he was injured. The player responded in the press that this wasn't the case; so he had to come clean and say it was for disciplinary reasons. Also he became visibly nervous when the press told him they were favourites. He doesn't like that position; so he kept saying that Estonia is a very good team. Should be careful with this. The FA is trying to remedy this by appointing an extra communications officer and sending him to some training.

I agree with @davek . Hate is a very strong emotion for such things. Didn't work out, he tried his very best - no hard feelings. You wish him well; and continue. Wishing mishap is bad form.

Look I'm not a Martinez fan or such, but I also believe he is a good enough coach. He is just completely useless in buying players. He would do better in the continental system; where the manager just coaches and somebody else buys the players - technical director or such.

I agree with @Ashtonian he has a clear idea. A bit inflexible though; sometimes tries to play his kind of game with players who don't have the quality for it.

I also believe nobody can deny, that at least he tried to play offensive football. Nowadays it's boring. For me it's sometimes more fun to lose or draw but see 8 goals.

His interviews have changed a bit to my surprise. He criticizes players after the match. Less phenomenal - thank god for this.

The one thing that landed him some stick with the Belgian press was the fact that doesn't communicate clearly. The Naingollan-saga. First he told the press that he was injured. The player responded in the press that this wasn't the case; so he had to come clean and say it was for disciplinary reasons. Also he became visibly nervous when the press told him they were favourites. He doesn't like that position; so he kept saying that Estonia is a very good team. Should be careful with this. The FA is trying to remedy this by appointing an extra communications officer and sending him to some training.

I agree with @davek . Hate is a very strong emotion for such things. Didn't work out, he tried his very best - no hard feelings. You wish him well; and continue. Wishing mishap is bad form.

Please carry on posting mate. Your posts are very clear and give a fair appraisal of the man - his faults and qualities. Most on here long since stopped listening to me on the subject.

Stopped reading at this tbh.

Yeah?

What times?

What times is watching Belgium lose or draw more fun for you than watching them win?

The point I was trying to make is that the style of play is important to me. Who want to see 0-1 wins or such all the time. Winning is ofc the ultimate objective, I thought it was obvious. Should not have opted for the hyperbole. Sorry for that. Also when you play very negative and still lose it's worse than when you at least try. The balance has to be there.

Also I am not without criticism for the many times he lets leads slip by doing strange things; very frustrating.

Winning in style you know.

I said sometimes. My point was I like offensive football; slight exaggeration; hyperbole.
Well that's your opinion and your entitled to it but personally I'd rather win every game 1-0 and play the most boring football imaginable if it meant us winning. I'd rather watch a 'boring' 1-0 win then an "phenomenal" 4-3 defeat. Points are what matter not your style of play. People remember results long after they've forgotten how we played on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back