Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's built like a toddle tbf. I think Id rather have him AM at the moment than our current tart who's built like a heavy weight but has the football nouse of Cameroon in their first world cup

Cameroon didnt lose a game in their first world cup and only conceded one goal....

Just saying...

5th to 13th (when sacked) in the space of 2 years is damage whichever way you spin it, I don't care how much complete sewage he chatted about how great the club was to try and deflect from it. This squad of players is the most gutless and mentally fragile I've ever seen in my time watching us, like they're petrified of playing football, that's HIS team, that he spent a fair chunk assembling too by the way. Abysmal manager, another 2 seasons of him would almost certainly have seen us relegated in my opinion (and that of many others)

Its "damage" its not disastrous though. In the long run it may have been.

We have been mentally fragile for years! We were mentally fragile under Moyes too yet for some reason people didnt see that.

Most of the players in the squad now are not "his" players anyway. To be fair that doesnt make him look good either but the problems we have right now are not solely down to Martinez. Of course he is part of it but we also need to look at the players who have consistently failed us time and time again. Martinez showed faith in them and let the players get on with it, and they didnt play for him and get rid of the manager. Then we get a polar opposite in Koeman and yet the players after getting what they wanted still manage to put in the same levels of ineptness.

Looks to me that the players want to have their lemon drizzle cake and eat it....

I would jib most of them off in a heartbeat.

Its "damage" its not disastrous though. In the long run it may have been.

We have been mentally fragile for years! We were mentally fragile under Moyes too yet for some reason people didnt see that.

Most of the players in the squad now are not "his" players anyway. To be fair that doesnt make him look good either but the problems we have right now are not solely down to Martinez. Of course he is part of it but we also need to look at the players who have consistently failed us time and time again. Martinez showed faith in them and let the players get on with it, and they didnt play for him and get rid of the manager. Then we get a polar opposite in Koeman and yet the players after getting what they wanted still manage to put in the same levels of ineptness.

Looks to me that the players want to have their lemon drizzle cake and eat it....

I would jib most of them off in a heartbeat.

We weren't this mentally fragile under Moyes, not even close. In the big games away from home yeah we were, but we'd pretty much always beat the teams we were expected to, hence why we finished in the top 6 regularly.

Agree about the players wanting to have all their rewards without having to work hard. I think it was Martinez that made them believe they could, we won't be able to change that mindset with most of them now so yeah I'd happily bin them all and start again.

We weren't this mentally fragile under Moyes, not even close. In the big games away from home yeah we were, but we'd pretty much always beat the teams we were expected to, hence why we finished in the top 6 regularly.

Agree about the players wanting to have all their rewards without having to work hard. I think it was Martinez that made them believe they could, we won't be able to change that mindset with most of them now so yeah I'd happily bin them all and start again.

Depends how you look at it really. I dont really see the point of finishing 6th if you are not going to do anything with it (its better than finishing 11th or whatever obviously...but still the end result is the same)

Whenever we looked like going to the next level under Moyes we failed miserably. We always had the unlucky loser tag, the way we handled the Champions League and resulting Europa league was laughable, same with our failings against the likes of Benfica, Fiorentina etc. Time and time again when we REALLY needed our players to step up they didnt do so.

My main hope is that a natural winner like Koeman changes the mentality of the club, I think thats why I liked Martinez. He may have been deluded but he genuinely thought we could beat anyone, and it worked for a time until the doubts started creeping in again. I know Koeman is a brutally honest type of manager but his whole we are crap so may as well try and shut up shop stuff worries me. But until he starts to mould his own team we wont know how it will turn out.

He didnt leave us with the worst team since the mid 90s. We were in danger of being relegated in the late 90s!

Niasse was a bad signing. So what? Every manager makes them. And to be fair maybe he thinks he could have got something out of him with a bit of time. We will never know.

It is madness. We are pretty much in the same position we have been in for years. Also rans who could make a push for Europe if everything magically falls into place. But then we will mess it up like we always do because we are mentally weak.

He was rightfully sacked as he had "lost the dressing room" and was going nowhere fast. I really am not defending him, it was the right time for him to go, but this overreaction to what shape he has left us is just ridiculous.

He has gone, I dont know why people get so angry about it like he is the only manager we have ever had who didnt get it right.
And w're seriously in danger of being relegated now with this current side he left us with, Which has much less fight then those awful sides in the 90's .

Niasse is just one many signings El Fraudo brought into the club. You think Tom Cleverly was a good buy do you? It would be easier to name the good players Martinez brought into the club Which you could count on one hand.

We were not in the same position we've always been in during the Premier League era. Martinez undid all of Moyes work that had us as the best of the rest back to relegation fodder. It was happening, wake up! Six pathetic home wins all last season! It's in the record books it's that bad for us! We hadn't been outside the top ten for years until he arrived and like magic he did it twice on the bounce, we were 13th when he was sacked and would of probably been around 15th season after and 17th the one after that and still people would be saying nothing has changed.

The players are indeed mentality weak but they're much weaker then they were under Moyes (and while i was never his greatest fan he always knew his business). They're lightweight cowards who need replacing by the new manager. A lot of that lack of fight comes from the old manager though as his Wigan team could also testify.

It's not an overreaction at all, it's just that some of us can see that the players Martinez brought into the club are either awful or overrated and have taken us back considerably. Who said anyone was angry? How can you tell if a person is angry on the internet?! He left us in the worst shape We've been in for a good 17 to 18 years.

He was sacked the minimum of six mouths to late as far as I'm concerned and he got away with far to much. People have been lining up to slaughter Koeman when all he's trying to do if fix the mess El Fraudo left us in.

He didnt leave us with the worst team since the mid 90s. We were in danger of being relegated in the late 90s!

Niasse was a bad signing. So what? Every manager makes them. And to be fair maybe he thinks he could have got something out of him with a bit of time. We will never know.

It is madness. We are pretty much in the same position we have been in for years. Also rans who could make a push for Europe if everything magically falls into place. But then we will mess it up like we always do because we are mentally weak.

He was rightfully sacked as he had "lost the dressing room" and was going nowhere fast. I really am not defending him, it was the right time for him to go, but this overreaction to what shape he has left us is just ridiculous.

He has gone, I dont know why people get so angry about it like he is the only manager we have ever had who didnt get it right.

That is where we had been for years you're right. But we were a million miles away from that in the clown's last two seasons, we were sliding towards relegation battles. You can't argue with the numbers, he made us worse during his tenure, it's simply a fact.

IMG_3697.webp

That is where we had been for years you're right. But we were a million miles away from that in the clown's last two seasons, we were sliding towards relegation battles. You can't argue with the numbers, he made us worse during his tenure, it's simply a fact.

View attachment 32598

Im not saying he didnt.

I just dont think its quite as bad as people are making out. It could have been but the problem was rectified. Hopefully anyway...

I have seen people saying he destroyed us. There was nothing to destroy. We have been a shambles for years.

Im not saying he didnt.

I just dont think its quite as bad as people are making out. It could have been but the problem was rectified. Hopefully anyway...

I have seen people saying he destroyed us. There was nothing to destroy. We have been a shambles for years.

That's the key word isn't it. Once this squad are disposed of we can bury his tenure for good, thankfully. Let's just hope the new regime can pick us up.

We did play great football at times under Martinez but he just did not believe in doing what you had to do to see a result out.He wouldn't accept responsibility for his mistakes and he refused to learn from them.That was his undoing in the end.I think his next job in club football could be with a big fish in a small pond.A Celtic and Rangers or an Ajax PSV or Feyenoord.I think he could do a good job with those clubs if he had other people working on the defensive side of things.The Scottish and Dutch leagues would not be as punishing as the premiership either.

I don't think there'd be much of a difference to how we're doing now if he was still in charge.

I don't know he left us stuck in mid table on 44 points.Koeman has us in 7th with only the elite teams ahead of us.So we are already four or five places better off from where Martinez left us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back