Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say it achieved anything. I said it was a record...and it IS.

It's at least a measure of a season statistically speaking that can back up the now fading memory of some (hurriedly faded for many) that we played a lot of cavalier, swashbuckling, go for it football under RM and that if you do that you CAN get the required points that usually get you a CL spot.

Does that hit home...at all?
Please be quiet
I'm trying to sleep.

So you're peddling this 'record', but agree Lukaku doesn't hold a record?

In response to the thread 'Rom doesn't hold a record', this was your response:

Why one and not the other David?
I agreed with the OP statement that "football didn't exist before 92"

*sigh*

In Everton's 139 year history (either with or without three points for a win - which came in 1981) Martinez's 72 point season has been passed three times only: by Kendall in 84/85, 85/86, 86/87...but even here that was with 4 extra games in a season (42 games as opposed to 38). And no one else has achieved winning 21 games in one season since the games were reduced down from 42 to 38.

21 wins and 72 points from 38 games. I'm sorry, but just recognise the effort, appreciate it and move on to denigrating his other two seasons if need be. But be respectful of a historic effort by both players and manager that season.

As stated before: it will be a long te to wait before that tally is approached, never mind bettered.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...belgium-head-coach.90386/page-54#post-4938664

giphy.gif

@Armel is your man for this mate

So far he's not getting a lot of stick.

A large part in this is the guy who came before him. Wilmots was a good footballer, but is a substandard manager. He only managed one club in his life and he got sacked during the season because with him they were facing certain relegation. After that he became an agent for players. Then he decided to become a politician; so he got a place in the senate for the MR. He then became the assistant coach for Belgium; head coaches got sacked and eventually they offered him the job. He then proceeded to underachieve. He knows nothing about tactics. He thought that he could get a club in a decent league, luckily most clubs know he is a bit of an idiot. He makes Roy Hodgson look like an enlightened footballing genius. On top of that he's also arrogant.

Another reason why he's not getting a lot of stick is that he's at least trying new stuff.

All in all; the Belgium job isn't the most difficult thing in the world. You have good players, tame media, and a population with low expectations. He could still do well tbf to him; he just needs to fix some simple stuff. For instance use the right mix of central midfielders. Stop putting the three in there who are addicted to sideways passing; it doesn't help anybody (at least 1 out of three should put the ball forward). After the game he says that Youri Tielemans is a great player; who always looks for an attacking solution and plays the ball forward. I could have told him that. Tbf to him again; a good find of him is Chadli on wing-back/defensive winger. Of all the players he played best over the two games on a position that's new to him. Another free tip for him; play players who are playing well for their club. Carrasco is playing horrible for his club atm; bench him, plenty of other decent wingers. No need for him to do Cleverley impressions; he'll get back to form but in the meantime don't play him.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back