Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha Ha. You mentioned by mistake Kendall and Moyes in the same sentence there mate....oh....
Did you not read the context of how I mentioned them in the same sentence? I'm not saying Moyes should be compared to Kendall, I'm saying that Moyes is the only manager we've had since Kendall to deliver top table finishes consistently and with the exception of Royle nobody has done better then Moyes since HK. It's all very well for people to just dismiss Moyes but if what he did was worthless and so easy how come both the fools who've taken over since he left have failed so miserably?

Lukaku will probably be rested against Cyprus. Yesterday was the first time he trained - he himself wants to play but Martinez doesn't want to take the risk of bringing Man U in further difficulty.

What are the hopes and ambitions for this Belgium team at next years WC, Armel? What do pundits and public alike think will be Belgium's fate and what do they feel they could or should achieve?

..we finished 17th in one season under him and he nearly killed us as stone dead as he went onto do with United and Sunderland.
No he didn't "nearly kill us stone dead" he had an awful second season and would of got the sack had he had a similar one in his third but he didn't we finished 4th which is still out best premier league campaign ever. Van Gal failed just as badly at Man Utd despite spending a fortune and only Mourinho is improving them after spending a kings ransom. Moyes's buys at Man Utd have come good for them. Sunderland were alredy dead, Moyes just finished them off.

What are the hopes and ambitions for this Belgium team at next years WC, Armel? What do pundits and public alike think will be Belgium's fate and what do they feel they could or should achieve?

At least a quarter final is required, anything above is a bonus. Oh and if they have to go out out only against a big nation, like Germany or something similar.

The biggest problem of the previous years was that they couldn’t play against defensively setup teams. Would be nice to avoid that. They can’t do it themselves since they are quite wobbly from time to time. Both wingbacks are very attacking; Meunier and Carrasco (especially struggles defensively since he is an attacker). They have good centerbacks but if one of them is injured there are big problems... Would be nice to have a fit Kompany during the WC.

At the moment they are very attacking, much more than they used to be. Suits them since defending isn’t their strong point.

In November they’ll play Mexico and Japan.

At least a quarter final is required, anything above is a bonus. Oh and if they have to go out out only against a big nation, like Germany or something similar.

The biggest problem of the previous years was that they couldn’t play against defensively setup teams. Would be nice to avoid that. They can’t do it themselves since they are quite wobbly from time to time. Both wingbacks are very attacking; Meunier and Carrasco (especially struggles defensively since he is an attacker). They have good centerbacks but if one of them is injured there are big problems... Would be nice to have a fit Kompany during the WC.

At the moment they are very attacking, much more than they used to be. Suits them since defending isn’t their strong point.

In November they’ll play Mexico and Japan.
They had a tough draw in Euro2016 and the worst possible starts. Hopefully for you the draw is a bit easier at the WC. If Belgium can get some momentum I can see them making that QF berth easily enough. It's a team that scores a lot of goals so you have a decent chance in any game. RM will get a team to eventually breakdown an opponent's defence. But with us we had a very brittle defence and so we couldn't make that pay. Belgium have those CBs who can deal with a lot, and a fantastic GK, so in theory it should be fine.

Just looking at your bench from the other night: that strength in depth is impressive...apart from Mirallas, of course!

They had a tough draw in Euro2016 and the worst possible starts. Hopefully for you the draw is a bit easier at the WC. If Belgium can get some momentum I can see them making that QF berth easily enough. It's a team that scores a lot of goals so you have a decent chance in any game. RM will get a team to eventually breakdown an opponent's defence. But with us we had a very brittle defence and so we couldn't make that pay. Belgium have those CBs who can deal with a lot, and a fantastic GK, so in theory it should be fine.

Just looking at your bench from the other night: that strength in depth is impressive...apart from Mirallas, of course!

Very frustrating player is Mirallas.Still though i think he would offer us some badly needed pace and width right now.But his face doesn't seem to fit with Koeman.He sorted out that gutter rat Suarez good and proper as well!

One of the more typical Lukaku goals.

tenor.gif

If Ireland don't qualify and seeing that my second favourite national side the Netherlands won't be there.Then i guess if that scenario comes to pass then i would give my full support to Belgium.Go team Martinez.lol Seriously though i wish Belgium all the best in the tournament.The furthest they have got in a World Cup was the quarter finals.If Bobby takes them to a semi final then he will have done a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back