Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus ça change.

DsWS9a9WwAASAxI

The only one who looked like he could be bothered was Courtois. Ive always liked that he plays with such a poker face but at times in that game he was really letting rip at his defenders.

This is what he does, Marc Wilmots did a great job with Belgium, put down great groundwork in place for Martinez to look good, and they were until Martinez started to leave his mark.
Same story at Everton, David Moyes did a great job with Everton, put down great groundwork in place for Martinez to look good, and they were until Martinez started to leave his mark.
Martinez goes to a club wth a great foundation, picks up and gets the benefit of anothers work and then gets found out. Will be at Newcastle before Barkley at this rate
Ha Ha. Stopped reading there.

Just watched a replay of the game v Switzerland. The Belgian defending (I use that term loosely) for the third goal especially, was comical. All players forward for a corner, Switzerland recovered the ball and virtually walked the length of the field to score.

A lot of people rushing to jump on the bandwagon to criticise 'El Gaffer'. Not me.

It was a freak result - they happen to the best of managers.

Their centre-forward, who normally couldn't hit a barn door, was in a phenomenal moment of form.

Rom 'Hot Shot' Lukaku was missing - his mobility and hold-up play would have given Bobby's boys much more control.

I'm pretty sure I spotted Jags and Baines having a coffee with Felli and Kompany in Manchester last week - say no more.

skysports-belgium-martinez_4492854.webp

That result was typical Martinez and just showed every reason why he will never be a top manager. The formation he chose, the style of play and the players selection. All he needed to do was not lose by two or more, however he decided he would play how he always plays, total football. On top of that he included Tielemans and Chadli, two players who have been central to Monaco's shocker of a season and both played their part in Belgium's shocker yesterday.

For all of Martinez's good points, he will always come short because he just doesn't seem to get the idea of horses for courses and in a game like yesterday he could have easily played a simple game where they keep it tight and he had the players up top to nick the goal in hazard etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back