Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Martinez Signs New 5 Year Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton chairman Bill Kenwright said: "In many commentators' eyes, Roberto Martinez is the best young manager in Europe. We agree. He took on an unfamiliar challenge for most managers; to take something really good and make it even better.
"He conducts himself off the pitch in the same way. He undertakes his business with great style, confidence, positivity and class. He is an Everton man."

........whilst its a commendable course of action by the Club, I'm more delighted that RM is happy to commit himself to us for so long. He must know that plenty of mega-rich suitors will have him on their shopping list, yet he's happy to extend his contract with no hesitation at all. Great stuff.

The shame of it is that news about securing a talented young manager for the long term should just be thought of as a huge positive, but at Everton the mind first calculates this in terms of securing a big fee for him when/if one of the financial elite clubs come knocking for him.

Good news, obviously however seems a little strange timing really, he's only been here a year.

Maybe other clubs have enquired about taking him and we wanted to get him tied down. Great commitment from Martinez too. Seems a genuine bloke having turned down Villa and Liverpool due to wanting control rather than being a puppet.

Well, going to the world cup as a pundit would have seen him meeting a lot of powerful footballing people,m ha. At least this will see his neck NOT being turned by their woos, if you will. Not that i would think him anywhere prone to leaving us, but there were rumours and he only had three years left. Great move by the club, i am so glad he is signing up with a confident club, a confident squad and an overly confident impresario chairman. Get in Bobby!

O'Keeffe.

At Everton, no matter what else may assail them, Bluenoses know they have a man with the answers. A manager who finds a positive in anything, and not in a soppy sense but rather the perfect pragmatism of somebody tasked with helping one of English football’s oldest and grandest clubs to challenge at the very top again despite the comparative limitations they must overcome.

Code:
he'll keep your heads above water while Kenwright and Co. wait for their big pay off

Not the news I was expecting but great news. Although contracts are pretty worthless these days. It shows commitment on both sides.

If we have another couple of great seasons, secure top 4 or lift a pot (UEFAs my preference, both innit!) we'd all be bricking it if he only had a year or two left on his contract and was getting sniffs from tempting clubs, and I think he's earned it, we're now one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league. Getting the right man at the helm is critical and I think we've scored an intelligent, innovative, young and committed modern football manager with diverse experience, and there ain't too many of 'em about.

I appreciate what some of you lads are saying about the budget, and the window will tell on that, but I'm really happy about this.

Last edited:

O'Keeffe.

At Everton, no matter what else may assail them, Bluenoses know they have a man with the answers. A manager who finds a positive in anything, and not in a soppy sense but rather the perfect pragmatism of somebody tasked with helping one of English football’s oldest and grandest clubs to challenge at the very top again despite the comparative limitations they must overcome.

Code:
he'll keep your heads above water while Kenwright and Co. wait for their big pay off

True from their perspective, but one would imagine Martinez wouldn't have extended if he wasn't confident of being able to develop, surely?

Right, i'm just going to put a negative head on for 5 minutes...

What if we're crap next season?

What if he was guaranteed money, but only that he could have ALL what he sold?

Right positive head back on....

ROBERTO HAD A DREAM.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back