2023/24 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate is a classic example of the club wetting itself when a player has a handful of good games and giving them a bumper new contract. Look at Besic, had about 2 good games and we ludicrously gave him another long contract.
Done it with Martinez. 1 good season and they then tied him down to a bumper 5 year deal which ended up costing us 12m after he took us to court because he wouldn't accept the 10m pay off we offered.

We are, I don't really get the outrage over his wages though. He was playing regularly under Carlo at the time he signed, if I recall correctly, and playing alright too.

As a Premier League player, featuring regularly for us, and signing his second contract with us, it would have been a bit insulting to offer him too much less than he's on, wouldn't it?

Anything that happened under Carlo was a minor miracle IMO

Holgate is a classic example of the club wetting itself when a player has a handful of good games and giving them a bumper new contract. Look at Besic, had about 2 good games and we ludicrously gave him another long contract.

….it’s an example of them not being able to effectively rate a player.

If folk on here were posting years ago how much of a liability Holgate was, then we need a DoF who recognises that. It was similar with Keane.

As I said at the time with Keane, you don’t reward them with a new deal when they’re playing well and their stock is high, you sell them because you know the improvement is temporary. It’s why I keep saying we need a DoF who’s a proper football man.

I still don't know how you can be so good 'that Man City game' and then nothing.

….it’s an example of them not being able to effectively rate a player.

If folk on here were posting years ago how much of a liability Holgate was, then we need a DoF who recognises that. It was similar with Keane.

As I said at the time with Keane, you don’t reward them with a new deal when they’re playing well and their stock is high, you sell them because you know the improvement is temporary. It’s why I keep saying we need a DoF who’s a proper football man.

Steve Walsh was regarded as one of the most influential men in football by some.

no. he isn't remotely worth £72 K even in the f***ed up world of football salaries. £50k p week tops and thats ridiculously generous.

Well, no, not now he isn't. When he was given the contract, he probably was deserving of a contract there or thereabouts. He looked like a player who had a future at Everton. I don't recall too many people being upset when we wrapped the deal up. Granted, people might not have known the wages, and some might well have not been happy with him signing a new long term deal anyway, but I certainly don't recall there being a furore around the deal.

It's also not like we signed him from Barnsley and gave him 70k a week. We did everything right, up to a point, He looked like a player who had a future here, but he's gone backwards. It's not a scenario unique to Everton, it happens to all kinds of clubs, all the time.

We need to move away from ‘2 good games = interest = number new contract’ to ‘2 good games = interest = set asking price and recycle playing staff’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back