2024/25 Mason Holgate

Never rated him as highly as others when he came into the team at first, but I’m still shocked to the extent he’s declined since.

I don’t think there’s a single other player in professional English football that a had a worse season than him last year. Loaned to a Championship side who couldn’t wait get to get rid of him. Then sent to one of the worst sides the PL has ever seen only to be extremely terrible there as well and get sent off on debut.

How he is even remotely back in the picture for minutes here is so embarrassing. I think if he was a free agent he’d do well to get a contract in league 1.

It's not about him, it's about having 3 RBs who can't stay on the pitch, through injury or discipline. It's not as if this couldn't have been foreseen.

Our fullback problem has always been an issue for 2+ decades though in terms of long term development.

Baines - 2007 - 2020
Coleman - 2009 - 2025

Digne - 2018 - 2021
Mykolenko - 2021 -
Patterson - 2021 -

We relied on Baines and Coleman for nearly 20 years then as an after thought gone "oh we may need to develop that area"

Instead we put plasters over it with...
Kenny
Young
Martina
Sidibe
Holgate
Godfrey

Our fullback problem has always been an issue for 2+ decades though in terms of long term development.

Baines - 2007 - 2020
Coleman - 2009 - 2025

Digne - 2018 - 2021
Mykolenko - 2021 -
Patterson - 2021 -

We relied on Baines and Coleman for nearly 20 years then as an after thought gone "oh we may need to develop that area"

Instead we put plasters over it with...
Kenny
Young
Martina
Sidibe
Holgate
Godfrey

Exactly. Coleman is 35 and is still the best RB at the club. He struggled a bit to come back from his injury 5 years ago and at that point real resources should have been spent to find a replacement. Patterson has been a huge disappointment to date, but that doesn't really matter at this point. The position needs strengthening in the next 10 days but I doubt it's happening.

Exactly. Coleman is 35 and is still the best RB at the club. He struggled a bit to come back from his injury 5 years ago and at that point real resources should have been spent to find a replacement. Patterson has been a huge disappointment to date, but that doesn't really matter at this point. The position needs strengthening in the next 10 days but I doubt it's happening.

It won't be cos while they're terrible we still have 4 players who can play the fullback positions.

Where as we only have 3 actual midfielders and 3 strikers who don't really want to be here/looking elsewhere.

1724229429900.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back