McCarthy to replace Fellaini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming we sell Fellaini, if that lets us bring in 3 (say 2 permanent, 1 loan) with 2:1 in mf and one attacking player then you can make a case we'd be both deeper and have a chance to have a stronger overall starting line-up - depending on the 'who' and how well they integrate. There are valid concerns about the 'who' given what has happened so far and RM's patchy record at Wigan but whilst we might make snap judgements on initial impressions we'd really only be able to judge well into the season. Que sera, sera...

When you look at it, it's not really about agreeing or disagreeing, I mean look I can sit here and agree with you if that's what we're looking to do, but if you really want an aim, what we're aiming at is getting the right players in for the group and I think we've got one here that will do that.

**** SAKE.

I knew there was a thread like this already.

Merged. Please use the search function, etc....

(y)

Last edited:
Assuming we sell Fellaini, if that lets us bring in 3 (say 2 permanent, 1 loan) with 2:1 in mf and one attacking player then you can make a case we'd be both deeper and have a chance to have a stronger overall starting line-up - depending on the 'who' and how well they integrate. There are valid concerns about the 'who' given what has happened so far and RM's patchy record at Wigan but whilst we might make snap judgements on initial impressions we'd really only be able to judge well into the season. Que sera, sera...

What I worry about is the amount of time left, even with the extension. Martinez has had McCarthy in mind since day one, but will there be time to negotiate two further transfers? I also worry that with this boon of cash, clubs will expect a lot of money, so we won't be able to get a good value.

You'd hope we have the deals lined up. I think there has been a lot of activity and contact but this is EFC so it is hard not to doubt!

If we sell Felli and get McCarthy and Moses well i could live with that. Would give us lots of genuine attacking options. A straight swap or a move for someone like McGeady would be a disaster.

Agreed. The bottom line is that when you sell your best players it's very hard to improve your team ... and it's even harder when you aren't getting a good value for that player. That's why we're tearing ourselves apart arguing about this ... because when it comes down to it we all (well most of us) know that selling Fellaini at the rumoured price is a mistake.

I think McCarthy is better than many give him credit for but that doesn't mean I'd sell Felli. Hot Dog is right in the sense that we'll (probably) end up weaker as a result of this deal (unless we get crazy lucky with whomever is brought in along with McCarthy).

I just don't think we have to make McCarthy out to be worse than he is just to make that point. McCarthy can be good and it can also be a bad idea to sell Fellaini (because Fellaini is very good).

You could make the argument that if we get McCarthy in (and also have Gibson of course) that makes us slightly weaker in CM for now. Then we get someone who is already better than Osman (and RM puts Osman on the bench) which could make us slightly better (or even much better) in that position. That way we might just manage to be slightly better overall (for the sake of argument ... not saying I think this).

Fairly big gamble though (for what would be a fairly small net gain) ... especially with the window getting smaller and smaller.

Good post I agree with that.

The timeframe concerns me, as we're going to be left in the 'panic buy' zone, which means we're likely to overpay & could easily drop a massive clanger.

What makes it even more frustrating is the fact that we actually had the sense to have a buyout clause in his contract that expired in July, so that we'd not end up with that scenario, but the ginger one has decided he's going to play silly bollocks with us to deadline day.

Not read all posts but with felli we will loose goals. With barkley in current form we lack even more of a goal threat if he plays gibson and mc carthy also

The timeframe concerns me, as we're going to be left in the 'panic buy' zone, which means we're likely to overpay & could easily drop a massive clanger.

What makes it even more frustrating is the fact that we actually had the sense to have a buyout clause in his contract that expired in July, so that we'd not end up with that scenario, but the ginger one has decided he's going to play silly bollocks with us to deadline day.

Can you imagine if the clause had been activated? £23m in, and £15m of it out on McCarthy? We'd struggle to get two more players in for whatever was left after Standard got their % of the sell-on fee.

Can you imagine if the clause had been activated? £23m in, and £15m of it out on McCarthy? We'd struggle to get two more players in for whatever was left after Standard got their % of the sell-on fee.

it wont be anywhere close to 15m mate im certain on that

Mate this makes a lot more sense than the ****gng off towards Mccarthy from ya, in the end he isnt gash like naismith, its just the price that raises concern with most i think - usually without sources from some jarg paper bandying 15m and such silliness around

Crazy figures being quoted by the media for Mcarthy. What really pee's me off is Mcarthy should of been bought already as an addition to the CM players we already have not as a direct replacement for fellaini! He's a good player, potential there to be a top player IMO. Wether fellaini stays or goes we needed him or someone simlar so I'm amazed we still havnt signed anyone.

So far this seems a really dissapointing transfer window. Not that it's usually any different, but must say I had higher hopes for this one. Looking like we'll end up one of the lowest couple of spenders again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back