Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Absolutely beautifully sunny and warm down here today. Luckily remembered that it's Good Friday tomorrow so popped up to the local shop to pick up my posh sausages and also some bacon for my lunch. Having a meat free day tomorrow so making up for it today. lol
My wife has done her usual Good Friday antics and booked us to go to for a meal in a restaurant where she'll know I'll be tempted to eat meat.

She does something similar every year: makes a fry up; books afternoon tea. Good job I'm a lover of seafood and regularly eat vegetarian food.

So going back to the UK for the first time in 13 years, we are going to Scotland next month, we have a friend who lives in the Scottish borders and she has a cottage we can stay in.

Mrs D is from Glasgow so we will be visiting there and probably Edinburgh, also a days racing at Kelso( @Barnfred 55 ) looking forward to it,
No plans on visiting Liverpool Duc? Still have plenty of friends there don't you.

My wife has done her usual Good Friday antics and booked us to go to for a meal in a restaurant where she'll know I'll be tempted to eat meat.

She does something similar every year: makes a fry up; books afternoon tea. Good job I'm a lover of seafood and regularly eat vegetarian food.
In fairness I try and go meat free most Friday's, but don't do it religiously, tomorrow notwithstanding. lol

Plus whenever I'm out for a meal I'll invariably have some type of fish. I cook a lot but am not confident cooking fresh fish. Always frightened of overcooking it.

In fairness I try and go meat free most Friday's, but don't do it religiously, tomorrow notwithstanding. lol

Plus whenever I'm out for a meal I'll invariably have some type of fish. I cook a lot but am not confident cooking fresh fish. Always frightened of overcooking it.
My mate is Michelin trained chef (Thompson, Gordon et al.) and others and he taught me the two most common errors when cooking fish.

Make sure you prepare the fish first by patting it down with tissue to remove all the residue, cut a few incisions into the skin and use good oil.

Secondly, don’t ever cook the fish on the skin side with the heat on: cook it on the flesh side without trying to turn until it’s almost done, as it’ll stick.

If you’re flipping it to the skin side, have all the heat off and leave it a few minutes to finish off. He says the same with steak - turn once or twice at most.

It’s mad how it sticks in your head all these years later . if I’ve even meat on Good Friday , and I have , it’s because I’ve forgotten what day it is . Otherwise it’s crazy how much I seem adverse to it .

Just had the neighbours around for coffee. Haven't seen the wife for about 5 weeks so it was a nice catch up with her. They've invited me around for lunch on Easter Sunday (which the daughter is hosting in her house so an even shorter walk home) and also arranged with rob to go out for another drive and some lunch next Tuesday.

Absolutely beautifully sunny and warm down here today. Luckily remembered that it's Good Friday tomorrow so popped up to the local shop to pick up my posh sausages and also some bacon for my lunch. Having a meat free day tomorrow so making up for it today. lol

Hope you all have a great Easter weekend. The forecast down here up until Sunday is very good so may even get the grass cut for the first time since last September. Or should I say the weeds. it's full of daisies at the moment. (That's a weed not a dog by the waylol)
Weathers not bad up here Fred , I’m more concerned about aintree next week which is predicting rain ! I’m hoping that’ll sort itself out asap

It’s mad how it sticks in your head all these years later . if I’ve even meat on Good Friday , and I have , it’s because I’ve forgotten what day it is . Otherwise it’s crazy how much I seem adverse to it .
This is my wife's point: she says it's nothing more than symbolic, being engrained into me as a child, rather than any form of enforced Christian doctrine.

I remember getting an almighty series of whacks off my nan as a child for having meat on Good Friday, so I think that may have played a part in it too.

Well, I'd get a whack any Friday if I ate meat, or swore, or... so... I even once waited until 12.01pm to get a kebab from Botan, which is pretty fluffin' bizarre really.

This is my wife's point: she says it's nothing more than symbolic, being engrained into me as a child, rather than any form of enforced Christian doctrine.

I remember getting an almighty series of whacks off my nan as a child for having meat on Good Friday, so I think that may have played a part in it too.

Well, I'd get a whack any Friday if I ate meat, or swore, or... so... I even once waited until 12.01pm to get a kebab from Botan, which is pretty fluffin' bizarre really.
Mate I feel that pain on so many levels but it was my mum with me . Plus the botan is deffo worth waiting for

Mate I feel that pain on so many levels but it was my mum with me . Plus the botan is deffo worth waiting for
What's funnier though, is my Uncle was a Catholic Priest (ended up very high in the Vatican) and my Aunt lived next door to the penguins... sorry, nuns.

Many a time, I saw them sat in my Aunt's kitchen drinking scotch, smoking and using far from Christian language. Same in the Knights' Club!

Staunch Catholics... my arse!

I was brought up in a non religious household but we always had fish on Good Friday.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back