Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Good morning all on this clement day here in Hyvinkää .I hope all slept well especially @jazzy 's mum and have a great day today . Not much happening other than our friends suspect we have Covid although I am not convinced ,I am sticking to the fact that no colds in 3 1/2 years means low resistance hence it knocking us so hard . Good results in the main last night .COYB
Our language is evolving as shown by the words from @Barnfred 55 yesterday -It seems now " On the wagon "means driving around in a Jag and nothing to do with abstention / reduction in imbibing .

Just a quick mum update for those interested.

Spent 3 hours at hospital yesterday to have a 5 minute chest X ray and went to get more blood tests done at the GP this PM.

So, I casually asked "Don't suppose that you've had the results of the faeces test yet ?" "Oh yes it was negative".

Great news ! Would have been even better if they had volunteered the information.

Anyway they still need to get to the bottom ( excuse the pun) of her problem and why she is losing so much weight.

Spent 3 hours at hospital yesterday to have a 5 minute chest X ray and went to get more blood tests done at the GP this PM.

So, I casually asked "Don't suppose that you've had the results of the faeces test yet ?" "Oh yes it was negative".

Great news ! Would have been even better if they had volunteered the information.

Anyway they still need to get to the bottom ( excuse the pun) of her problem and why she is losing so much weight.

I guess its unlikely, but has your Mum travelled to the Middle East in the last few months?

Perhaps in her dreams Roydo!

No the furthest that she's been in the last 2 years is Ormskirk mate.

We travel widely but in the last 6 months we've only been to the Caribbean.

lol

Its just that her symptoms are similar to my brother a while back; turned out he had developed a tapeworm after being in the ME. A few tablets, a few rather violent toilet breaks, and all good.

Glad your Mum's tests was negative @jazzy . That must be a huge relief to you.

I've had an interesting 'aged parent' day. Was doing my usual Wednesday morning at 8.30 am thing i.e in bed with a coffee, the cat on the end of the bed, catching up on the variety of animals I follow on Instagram ( two chocolate labradors, a tortoise and a pig if you need to know!) Anyway my phone goes 'Dad Mobile' it says. He NEVER rings me. 'Hi Dad are you OK?' 'um not really I've got a bit of a problem' His problem was that he had taken his car for a service at the garage not far from his house (ATS garage Aigburth Road for the South Liverpool posse :D ) He had used his spare car key and forgotten to pick up his other keys with his house key on so he was locked out. My brother went to Ibiza for a week yesterday so guess who is the only person with a spare house key? Halfway to Liverpool my nephew rings. He had called round to see my Dad and got no answer 'Do you know where Grandpa is?' He had roped his two brothers into a missing persons search for Grandpa, been to all his known places: supermarket, cemetery, doctors, church, even rang the Royal to see if he had been admitted. I told them where he was, one of them who is on leave from his RFA job, went to get him and took him to the Toby carvery for breakfast while they waited for me.
All is now well, I'm back home, Dad is furious with himself for being such a numpty, I got a withering stare when I said 'Don't worry Dad, I do dumb stuff like this all the time' He is also re-thinking his spare key allocation and one of the nephews is getting one.

The journey home was awful, Solid traffic, accidents, roadworks, rain. I felt like I was in a traffic jam from Warrington to Leeds. Took me over 4 hours - but that did include an M62 Hartshead Moor Service station stop for a very late breakfast/early tea Burger King.

Last edited:
Glad your Mum's tests was negative @jazzy . That must be a huge relief to you.

I've had an interesting 'aged parent' day. Was doing my usual Wednesday morning at 8.30 am thing i.e in bed with a coffee, the cat on the end of the bed, catching up on the variety of animals I follow on Instagram ( two chocolate labradors, a tortoise and a pig if you need to know!) Anyway my phone goes 'Dad Mobile' it says. He NEVER rings me. 'Hi Dad are you OK?' 'um not really I've got a bit of a problem' His problem was that he had taken his car for a service at the garage not far from his house (ATS garage Aigburth Road for the South Liverpool posse :D ) He had used his spare car key and forgotten to pick up his other keys so he was locked out. My brother went to Ibiza for a week yesterday so guess who is the only person with a spare key? Halfway to Liverpool my nephew rings. He had called round to see my Dad and got no answer 'Do you know where Grandpa is?' He had roped his two brothers into a missing persons search for Grandpa, been to all his known places: supermarket, cemetery, doctors, church, even rang the Royal to see if he had been admitted. I told them where he was, one of them who is on leave from his RFA job, went to get him and took him to the Toby carvery for breakfast while they waited for me.
All is now well, I'm back home, Dad is furious with himself for being such a numpty, I got a withering stare when I said 'Don't worry Dad, I do dumb stuff like this all the time' He is also re-thinking his spare key allocation and one of the nephews is getting one.

The journey home was awful, Solid traffic, accidents, roadworks, rain. I felt like I was in a traffic jam from Warrington to Leeds. Took me over 4 hours - but that did include an M62 Hartshead Moor Service station stop for a very late breakfast/early tea Burger King.
wow Anj , that's a long journey just to provide a key ( and a barrel load of love and support!)

Couldn't someone have gone to the garage to get the key ?

wow Anj , that's a long journey just to provide a key ( and a barrel load of love and support!)

Couldn't someone have gone to the garage to get the key ?
He had his car key but it was his spare key - his other car keys have his house key on and they were the ones locked in the house. His house is like Fort Knox so no chance of hopping over the fence and getting in through an unlocked window. Sorry probably didn't make myself clear.

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time at the moment. The generation your Mum is from are a tough bunch but also philosophical. If it makes you feel any better about the 'had a great life' comment here's a recent conversation I had with my Dad. My nephew is getting married next year. His partner is from Northern Ireland and the wedding will be in Northern Ireland. (As an aside partner's Auntie Mary is Mary Robinson former President of Ireland. I hope I get to sit next to her at the do!) Anyway Dad was telling me that nephew had asked him would he travel for the wedding. ' I asked him when it was. He said August next year. I told him to ask me nearer the time - I might not even be here by then.' Yeah OK Dad.
Will be thinking of you - you're a great son.I can't see my two ever scraping poo into a jar for me🤣!

Hope the boiler gets fixed soon too x
Whereabouts is the wedding Anj?

Really good news that jazzy. Thank God.

Good news, hope they get the weight problem sorted soon.

The kicker to my story above is that I have just been telling my brother about the day's events. He said Why didn't somebody ring me? I was about to reply sarcastically- and what could you do, fly home with a spare key? However his car keys with house key are in his girlfriend's house. She lives no more than 10 minutes from my Dad. She's on holiday with my brother but her grown up son was at home. Oh to have been privy to that information! It's like a bad sitcom 🤣🤣

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back