Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

My mate is Michelin trained chef (Thompson, Gordon et al.) and others and he taught me the two most common errors when cooking fish.

Make sure you prepare the fish first by patting it down with tissue to remove all the residue, cut a few incisions into the skin and use good oil.

Secondly, don’t ever cook the fish on the skin side with the heat on: cook it on the flesh side without trying to turn until it’s almost done, as it’ll stick.

If you’re flipping it to the skin side, have all the heat off and leave it a few minutes to finish off. He says the same with steak - turn once or twice at most.
You get fantastic fish down here straight off the boats. Still not cheap mind. Which is probably why I'm scared I'll ruin it. Only ever turn a steak once whether I'm cooking on the barbie or the grill pan.

Did you ever get your hands on that black bean chilli paste Phil?

I did ask my friend to source it for me, although I haven't heard back from him since then. We're actually going past there tomorrow, so I'll remind him in person.

I've got my curry on order, the children are all out, the wife is off out for some drinks and the Masters is on... I think it's time to open a beer or five.

You get fantastic fish down here straight off the boats. Still not cheap mind. Which is probably why I'm scared I'll ruin it. Only ever turn a steak once whether I'm cooking on the barbie or the grill pan.

We used to use a griddle, but steak, basted in butter, in the oven gives a far better overall result. 10 mins max, a rest, then good to go.

I did ask my friend to source it for me, although I haven't heard back from him since then. We're actually going past there tomorrow, so I'll remind him in person.

I've got my curry on order, the children are all out, the wife is off out for some drinks and the Masters is on... I think it's time to open a beer or five.
Just about to go and cook my spicy chicken fried rice. The chicken is marinating in the above mentioned sauce and the rice should have cooled down now so should be ok to refry. I'll maybe have a beer or two whilst I'm cooking and a glass of wine with the food. Where have you ordered your curry from? You live Aigburth Road way don't you, or have I got that mixed up.?

This is my wife's point: she says it's nothing more than symbolic, being engrained into me as a child, rather than any form of enforced Christian doctrine.

I remember getting an almighty series of whacks off my nan as a child for having meat on Good Friday, so I think that may have played a part in it too.

Well, I'd get a whack any Friday if I ate meat, or swore, or... so... I even once waited until 12.01pm to get a kebab from Botan, which is pretty fluffin' bizarre really.
I'm exactly the same. I feel.lile I might be struck by lightning if I eat meat on Good Friday! It is crazy really.

What days are you going harry. All my mates go Thursday and Friday.
Yeah Always the same mate with the occasional Saturday depending on circumstances .

The new plan was to Take the current mrs flashman Thursday and then go as a guest Friday but something has popped up Friday meaning I might miss the meal and the first race but nothing I can do . Saturday I’ll be watching the mighty blues

Just about to go and cook my spicy chicken fried rice. The chicken is marinating in the above mentioned sauce and the rice should have cooled down now so should be ok to refry. I'll maybe have a beer or two whilst I'm cooking and a glass of wine with the food. Where have you ordered your curry from? You live Aigburth Road way don't you, or have I got that mixed up.?
Mossley Hill or Cressington, depending on who you speak to, but yes a mere couple of minutes walk from Aigburth Road.

I’ve ordered it from the trusty Light of Bengal in the Vale. I’m a huge fan of curries, and for me it’s by far the best place to go: it ain’t cheap, but it’s worth it.

Spicy fried chicken sounds lovely. We have enough stuff in to cook, however I felt like treating myself before the eldest brings the rest of the children back.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back