Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

You really must go to the Isles of Scilly Fred. It is a magical place and the beaches especially on Tresco will make you think you are in the Caribbean.
However don't be tempted to go by sea . You are perfectly placed to get a cab to Lands End Airport and it's a 15 minute hop on the plane.
My tip is stay on St Mary's ( much cheaper ) and get the daily boat to the outer Islands . Tresco is expensive but a must visit.
I quite fancy the boat trip tbh Jazz. I like being on the sea (and yes I know the Scillonian has a certain reputation). I also quite like the idea of an overnight stay in Penzance and a visit to this nice Indian restaurant we used to frequent whenever we were out that way.

I think Hugh Town is the place to stay. There seems to be lots of B&Bs and restaurants there and you can take the water taxis to the other islands from there easily enough. Really want to visit the Abbey gardens on Tresco.

Having a nice relaxing afternoon on my sunbed listening to an 80s playlist on my IPod thanks AT. Just had a glass of cold blackcurrant juice. I've had worse hangovers it has to be said. ;)
That all sounds rather idyllic I must say. It’s alright for some!

While nice here there is a coolness to the breeze so fine for walking but not sun lounging.

That all sounds rather idyllic I must say. It’s alright for some!

While nice here there is a coolness to the breeze so fine for walking but not sun lounging.

It is wonderfully warm here. Will be sitting on the patio later, chimnea lit, Mert (cat) having his evening picnic, then retiring to the snug with a bottle of red, log burner glowing, with a homemade burger and fries.

Might even pop down the pub for a half.

It is wonderfully warm here. Will be sitting on the patio later, chimnea lit, Mert (cat) having his evening picnic, then retiring to the snug with a bottle of red, log burner glowing, with a homemade burger and fries.

Might even pop down the pub for a half.
Well in mate, a lovely evening ahead.

This has all put me in the mood for a drink later but must be good unfortunately.

Well in mate, a lovely evening ahead.

This has all put me in the mood for a drink later but must be good unfortunately.

I have most likely mentioned it before, but after the best part of 3 years looking out for Nikki and then me Mum, I made a deal that I would have a year for ikkle old me, before I make any decisions about selling the cottage etc etc etc. Knowing I can pay the mortgage off in a few months, most likely anyrate, and being largely financially secure at the age of 58, whilst being a huge privilege, its down to me. I am by no means wealthy, but ok.

Ok is, well, ok.

I quite fancy the boat trip tbh Jazz. I like being on the sea (and yes I know the Scillonian has a certain reputation). I also quite like the idea of an overnight stay in Penzance and a visit to this nice Indian restaurant we used to frequent whenever we were out that way.

I think Hugh Town is the place to stay. There seems to be lots of B&Bs and restaurants there and you can take the water taxis to the other islands from there easily enough. Really want to visit the Abbey gardens on Tresco.
Absolutely spot on re High Town. It's lovely , quite small but a handful of pubs and restaurants. I will dig out the name of the B&B we stayed at.
We also stayed at New Inn on Tesco. Absolutely fantastic but very expensive. However after you visit Abbey Gardens ( superb) walk up the coast to Ruin Beach Cafe , some of the best fish I've ever had.
You would get me on the Scillonian for love or money. Enjoy your sea sickness if you go on it.

I have most likely mentioned it before, but after the best part of 3 years looking out for Nikki and then me Mum, I made a deal that I would have a year for ikkle old me, before I make any decisions about selling the cottage etc etc etc. Knowing I can pay the mortgage off in a few months, most likely anyrate, and being largely financially secure at the age of 58, whilst being a huge privilege, its down to me. I am by no means wealthy, but ok.

Ok is, well, ok.
Despite the hard times you have had recently mate, there is a lot of contentment in that. You worked hard for it and fully deserve it.

Despite the hard times you have had recently mate, there is a lot of contentment in that. You worked hard for it and fully deserve it.

It wasnt hard looking out for Nikki (would not swap a second of it) nor Mum, but in hindsight, it was tiring, and full on.

I am extremely fortunate that my pension did what it did a few years back, nowt to do with me other than a decision I made about 20 years ago. Using pretend figures, if it was worth £100k 3 years ago, it would be worth about £50k today. Just down to interest rates. Which I have zero control over, obvs.

It wasnt hard looking out for Nikki (would not swap a second of it) nor Mum, but in hindsight, it was tiring, and full on.

I am extremely fortunate that my pension did what it did a few years back, nowt to do with me other than a decision I made about 20 years ago. Using pretend figures, if it was worth £100k 3 years ago, it would be worth about £50k today. Just down to interest rates. Which I have zero control over, obvs.
Pensions are one thing I have no clue about. I really should be better informed than I am.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back